Rake Bleeding Problems.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
So each time I have work done on the brakes.m they see being pressure bled on all 4 corners.
Still producing a spongy pedal.
Bleed them again and it can cure it but most times it’s taking 3 times.
Something isn’t right.
My mechanic knows his stuff but we are a little baffled to say the least.
Brakes are all new,replaced in last 8 months. Braided lines, DS2500s and Black Diamond combo discs. Any ideas peeps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Mk4 platform is a nightmare to bleed even with all the gear.
Often had friends leave the car a few hours as air seems to get stuck somewhere somehow.
Had major headache with mine on all of my setups bar the AP's I have now but think that's just luck

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Mk4 platform is a nightmare to bleed even with all the gear.
Often had friends leave the car a few hours as air seems to get stuck somewhere somehow.
Had major headache with mine on all of my setups bar the AP's I have now but think that's just luck

Really. That’s interesting. Seems to sound the same.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Mk5 platform is better but can still cause problems.
Id suggest leaving it over night and coming back and starting again but work furthest rear to front, if he has vagcom he can also manually bleed abs unit

Reactions: Sparkie

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Mk5 platform is better but can still cause problems.
Id suggest leaving it over night and coming back and starting again but work furthest rear to front, if he has vagcom he can also manually bleed abs unit

Cheers I have it for the weekend so plenty of time for it to have a little use and some more stand time.
I’m fishing so it’s not going with me.
It does bleed better after being driven after each bleed.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Ive had quite a few different braking setups, never minded fitting them but always hated bleeding.
Last time I upgraded the rears to 308mm with new calipers and 356mm full floating 6 pot AP setup on the front but bled ok, its quite fierce when warm

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Are you also bleeding the master cylinder? This has 2 bleed screws on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup he’s bleeding all of the system. I’ll checkch knows there are two. Or is it plain to see?

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Hi m8, had the same on mine a while back, just wasn't happy with the brake feel, ended up shagging the master cylinder seals by doing the "open nipple, peddle to the floor, do up nipple, lift up pedal" with my brother. Told this should never be done on older cars (like these) as folds the seals back the wrong way when the pedal goes down further than it has been for years. You don't want to have to change a master cylinder! 3 garages refused to do it and in the end took me 9 hours. Even then after professional bleeding still not great.

The two nipples on the master cylinder are a b-stard to get to, can't quite remember but I think there is one on the gearbox somewhere also (needs confirmation).

But the biggest improvement I got was when the ABS pump was purged, this made a big difference on mine, you need to activate it with VAGcom / VCDS.

cheers

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi m8, had the same on mine a while back, just wasn't happy with the brake feel, ended up shagging the master cylinder seals by doing the "open nipple, peddle to the floor, do up nipple, lift up pedal" with my brother. Told this should never be done on older cars (like these) as folds the seals back the wrong way when the pedal goes down further than it has been for years. You don't want to have to change a master cylinder! 3 garages refused to do it and in the end took me 9 hours. Even then after professional bleeding still not great.

The two nipples on the master cylinder are a b-stard to get to, can't quite remember but I think there is one on the gearbox somewhere also (needs confirmation).

But the biggest improvement I got was when the ABS pump was purged, this made a big difference on mine, you need to activate it with VAGcom / VCDS.

cheers

Been using a pressure bleeder so no pedal pumping.
Seem to have improved it as we did it again at beginning of week.
Think it still feels softer than normal.
ABS pump. Hadn't thought about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tanto

Oct 16, 2016
if the fluid has been allowed to go low you will prob have air in abs as vwtrev says you will need to use vcds to cycle the abs pump

Reactions: Sparkie

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
if the fluid has been allowed to go low you will prob have air in abs as vwtrev says you will need to use vcds to cycle the abs pump

Does this need manual fixing as well? or does vcds sort it out.
Not a mechanic.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.