Random loss of power while driving

Shabbs-1982

Feb 23, 2015
Holt, Norfolk
Need some :help:
The other day i was driving to work got 10 miles down the road & my car just lost power, kept losing then regaining,
Battery light came on, pulled over car seemed to idle fine, pulled away fine too, drove another 5 miles done the same, got to work in the end & turned it off,
When i came to finish work i drove home absolutely fine, 2 days have passed & just done the same again

Many thanks in Advance

Serviced it last Saturday,

Fitted BKR7E Spark plugs
Oil & Filter as normal
Battery was bought new around 8 months ago

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi mate. The battery light means the alternator isn't charging the battery properly. So either the wiring is dodgy or the alternator or battery are failing.

First thing to do is check that your cables to the battery are nice and tight and that they are free from corrosion on:
1. The battery end of the cables
2. The alternator
3: The point where the negative/earth cable from the battery attaches to the bodywork under the battery tray.

Also check that the aux belt that drives the alternator is tight and in good condition

If the problem remains, then use a multimeter to measure the voltage at the battery with the engine off and with the engine running.
With it off it should be around 12volts, with it running around 14.5volts.

If you don't get around 14v with it running, then the alternator is probably at fault.

Edit: if the fault is intermittant then you may need to keep the multimeter ready in the car for when it happens, then you can measure the voltage when the light is on.

Last edited: