Really fed up with Suspension on my TDI 130 Sport

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
increase the profile of your tyres,that improved my ride by 50%.

Ive got a full set of skoda vrs suspension to fit soon,meant to be a better ride but maybe too soft in the bends,cost £40 and fitting it myself so worth a try,can always swap it back for the price of a few more locknuts :)

the fabia vrs suspension is great at absorbing lumps and bumps but the handling is woeful. Rolls all over the place!

John11367

May 20, 2005
2 months on I'm finally getting my FSDs fitted tomorrow lol. Since then I've also ordered eibach springs and new top mounts/bearings etc too, wasn't going to bother with lowering but the car is doing so much clicking and clunking over bumps and round slow corners that I think I've broken a spring so just replacing the lot. Read the eibachs are more progressive and improve ride further too, will find out tomorrow I guess..

Have sound deadened the boot floor/ rear arches etc and theres been a slight but noticeable improvement in road noise, maybe get the doors and front of the car done this week too then that'll be me done with things for a while hopefully!

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
2 months on I'm finally getting my FSDs fitted tomorrow lol. Since then I've also ordered eibach springs and new top mounts/bearings etc too, wasn't going to bother with lowering but the car is doing so much clicking and clunking over bumps and round slow corners that I think I've broken a spring so just replacing the lot. Read the eibachs are more progressive and improve ride further too, will find out tomorrow I guess..

Have sound deadened the boot floor/ rear arches etc and theres been a slight but noticeable improvement in road noise, maybe get the doors and front of the car done this week too then that'll be me done with things for a while hopefully!

Very interested to hear the outcome of this as I too have been lookin at the eibach springs, and have been tempted at the FSDs, just don't like the price :D

John11367

May 20, 2005
Very interested to hear the outcome of this as I too have been lookin at the eibach springs, and have been tempted at the FSDs, just don't like the price :D

Have them fitted and must say I'm impressed so far, love the look of it now with the eibachs fitted as well. It does sit higher at the back but not so much so that it looks bad I don't think. Ride quality is definitely very much improved, doesnt crash over bumps anymore. If anything it almost feels a bit too bouncy on uneven roads but I'm putting this down to the fact it still all has to settle yet.

Cant really comment handling wise as I havent driven it our of town yet and it had brake pads done at the same time so going easy while they're bedding in.

Have only done maybe 20 or so miles round town but there's a definite improvement, whether or not its enough to justify over £400 on FSDs or not I'll leave up to you lol.

celoader

Sep 12, 2011
Denmark
Have them fitted and must say I'm impressed so far, love the look of it now with the eibachs fitted as well. It does sit higher at the back but not so much so that it looks bad I don't think. Ride quality is definitely very much improved, doesnt crash over bumps anymore. If anything it almost feels a bit too bouncy on uneven roads but I'm putting this down to the fact it still all has to settle yet.

Cant really comment handling wise as I havent driven it our of town yet and it had brake pads done at the same time so going easy while they're bedding in.

Have only done maybe 20 or so miles round town but there's a definite improvement, whether or not its enough to justify over £400 on FSDs or not I'll leave up to you lol.

Great news, maybe I need to save :D

John11367

May 20, 2005
Just back in from a longer drive there down some B roads etc and the ride is absolutely fantastic at speed. I actually think there's slightly more body roll than before but its a trade off I'm more than happy to make, smooths out bumps in the road beautifully compared to standard.

Also maybe it's all in my head but I could swear its quieter as well slightly lol, all in all though very well pleased. Remap, then Whiteline RARB and spacers next..

craig20102010

May 4, 2009
Just back in from a longer drive there down some B roads etc and the ride is absolutely fantastic at speed. I actually think there's slightly more body roll than before but its a trade off I'm more than happy to make, smooths out bumps in the road beautifully compared to standard.

Also maybe it's all in my head but I could swear its quieter as well slightly lol, all in all though very well pleased. Remap, then Whiteline RARB and spacers next..

all in all how much have you spent on Springs and struts?

im after the slight lowering but also a more comfortable and quieter ride.. Not sure how big of a job it will be to remove all the carpet to sound deaden the floor of the car?

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
all in all how much have you spent on Springs and struts?

im after the slight lowering but also a more comfortable and quieter ride.. Not sure how big of a job it will be to remove all the carpet to sound deaden the floor of the car?

the fsd are pretty expensive to buy then you've got fitting too, but apprently the difference is brilliant.

I sound deadened the floor in my old mk4 ibiza and it made quite a difference. Took me a day to do it but worth it.

John11367

May 20, 2005
Honestly for the difference in ride quality I'm not sure what I've spent is worth it. Haven't exact figures to hand but FSDs ~450, eibachs ~ 150, new top mounts bearings etc ~40 and fitting £60 so about 700 all in. Plus not far off another 100 for sound deadening.

If you're going for FSDs I reckon I'd keep the standard ride height tbh, after clocking up some more miles in mine the ride is nice 95% of the time but you get the odd manhole cover or pothole which sends a real thump through the car. Plus it feels slightly bouncier than standard at times but again I think this may be down to running them lower than standard.

As said give yourself a day to strip and deaden the interior, I started mine about half 10 in the morning, took an hour or so for my lunch and was finished about 5pm. That was stripping interior, deadening front half of the car (rear was already done), taking the door cards off and doing the same and then putting everything back in again.

Does make a decent difference to the noise definitely, still not jag by a long shot but a marked improvement. One thing I would say though is that theres actually quite a bit of standard insulation in the front footwells, didnt realise this before stripping it all but had it out so put extra in anyway although not sure how much difference it would have made given what was already there.

craig20102010

May 4, 2009
Honestly for the difference in ride quality I'm not sure what I've spent is worth it. Haven't exact figures to hand but FSDs ~450, eibachs ~ 150, new top mounts bearings etc ~40 and fitting £60 so about 700 all in. Plus not far off another 100 for sound deadening.

If you're going for FSDs I reckon I'd keep the standard ride height tbh, after clocking up some more miles in mine the ride is nice 95% of the time but you get the odd manhole cover or pothole which sends a real thump through the car. Plus it feels slightly bouncier than standard at times but again I think this may be down to running them lower than standard.

As said give yourself a day to strip and deaden the interior, I started mine about half 10 in the morning, took an hour or so for my lunch and was finished about 5pm. That was stripping interior, deadening front half of the car (rear was already done), taking the door cards off and doing the same and then putting everything back in again.

Does make a decent difference to the noise definitely, still not jag by a long shot but a marked improvement. One thing I would say though is that theres actually quite a bit of standard insulation in the front footwells, didnt realise this before stripping it all but had it out so put extra in anyway although not sure how much difference it would have made given what was already there.

in all honesty all i want is the ride to be a bit quieter. i just think removing all the seats etc to stick sound deadening in wont make as much difference as i would like maybe? although its the cheapest option

certainly the suspension is hard and im woundering if changing the suspension to any struts and springs would make a difference. Even basic ones something with Gas in would probably dampen out the vibration alot better.

Been even looking at coilovers as there really cheap but at the end of the day its a new strut and spring and i cant see them being as harsh as the standard springs and struts i need to do more tests.

harddiillion

FR TDi
Sep 12, 2010
S. London
I have the same issue for two years....

the mk4 ibiza is not as wide as other hatchbacks causing issues when trying to go over speed bumbs... it means you can never clearly miss a speed bump !

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise