rear brake pad wear

loadswine

loadswine
I noticed yesterday that my rear pads were much thinner than the fronts and only have about 5mm left after 14000 miles. The rear wheels also seem to get dustier than the fronts. It's a TDi sport with DSG, just wondered if anyone else had noticed similar.

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
No, my fronts are definately always dirty than the rear.

May be your handbrake is on/siezed?

Tell

Staff member
I tend to get less breaking on one rear wheel which the garage says is fine, since that one always appears more rusty than the others since it doesn't get cleaned too well by use, albeit I'm not a heavy breaking person. So without looking at anything I reckon I would have more wear at the front.

loadswine

loadswine
I would have expected more wear/dust at the front, which is one of the reasons I started the thread.
Mine has always had more brake dust on the rears and when I looked at the pads the other day, I noticed they were pretty worn compared to the fronts.

Perhaps this is the source of the phantom high pitched noise that I put up a thread about some months ago

ALTEA DUDE

2.0 TDi Sport
Sep 14, 2005
I'm definately slapping more Wonder Wheels cleaner on the front than on the back of mine. Would get yours checked, sounds like somethings not quite right.

:think:

loadswine

loadswine
Well, jacked it up and rotated the wheels. Not completely friction free, maybe the handbrake is not adjusted correctly.
Wheels do spin if you give them a push and continue to rotate, but I suspect something is causing the pads to make contact with the disc a little more than they should.
Gonna contact the dealer and get them to look at it.

JPV

Had my TDI with DSG in for its first service at just under 10000 miles on the clock. The garage report stated that front disc pads were approx. 30% worn and the rear ones 20%.

loadswine

loadswine
JPV said:
Had my TDI with DSG in for its first service at just under 10000 miles on the clock. The garage report stated that front disc pads were approx. 30% worn and the rear ones 20%.
That's very interesting, will dig out my service docs and see if anything mentioned, I know they mentioned about tyre wear, but they said that was even! In fact , the inner of the offside front was down to the canvas! Good job my tyre supplier spotted it.
May need to change dealerships to sort this one.:shrug:

Tell

Staff member
hmmm JPV as I reach for my annual service paper work.... no mention of any wear and I got the DSG as well, but I take bends slowly like on roundabout so as not to do the tyres in and I don't brake heavily if I can help it;) ... I do boot it up on motorways mind you.

loadswine

loadswine
Mmmmm, you've read my threads before Tell on replacing tyres and such and I have to admit that I'm not the most sedate driver around!
However, I've never seen rear brakes outwear fronts before, and I intend to get to the bottom of this.:)

Tell

Staff member
I started off with a Fiat Uno ES [Energy Saving].... 65 MPG and I use to get it... so in city traffic I pretend I still have it, but let rip on motorways :). I wear my green badge sometimes ;).... other times if I see a Z4 and it cuts me up I get just a bit aggressive ;).... errr knowing that I can stab my foot down with the DSG and all those ego tripping sports car owners at 70 - 80 - 90 MPH won't be finding their gears and I just continue.... :funk: [excepting the guys who's got the Porche here].

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members