Rear brakes

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
My passenger side rear brake decided to bind and as a result my pads are dead!
Could some one please post a quick how to on removing the caliprs and fitting the pads so im not messing around tomorrow!

Thank you :D

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
Ive found the guide started doing it but the piston wont wind in at all!
Ive got a piston tool but its not moving any ideas?

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
did you try unscrew the brake fluid cap in the engine bay ? which way does your piston tool wind, clockwise or anti clockwise ? sorry I've no idea which one you need

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
Yep took the brake fluid cap off.
I have got a universal tool that goes onto a ratchet.
Tried both ways and if I go anti clock wise it stops, if i go clock wise it just keeps spinning and the piston doesn't wind in!
Any one want a cheap FR? haha

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Right, you don't need to take the fluid cap off at all!

I'm guessing that you have bought the cheaper rewind tool, ie a "cube" - if so, then that is your main problem.

The only tool that guarentees useful results is the one that allows you to apply pressure against the opposite side of the calliper, and that tool can be bought in Halfords etc.

Even then you might have problems rewinding the piston, but if so persevere and maybe apply the handbrake a couple of clicks to move the actuating lever up a bit.

It is clockwise that you need to turn both sides to retract them in VAG cars - the tool I mentioned only winds clockwise.

Last edited:

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
Yep got told that the cube would do it, really lost all interest in the car tbh.
Just looked on Halfords £32.00! Might as well pay some one to do it.

dErZ

Jan 29, 2008
Surrey
Dont give in mate, if you take it to a garage your gonna have to pay min £40 for 30 mins labour......

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
I ended up getting the tool from halfords, one of the pistons was too far out so had to improvise butit worked out in the end!
Thanks for the advice everyone :D