Rear disc change question

DaveLandy

Jul 3, 2020
Hi all,
when changing rear pads and disc ps on my 2015 fr st 184 do you have to remove both parts of the caliper to change the discs?
I used to be able to squeeze the disc past the caliper part bolted onto the hub assembly on my Audi A3, so wondering if this is the same.
further reason for masking is that it’s suggesting you need a special splined tool to undo the bolts and i don’t have this tool ...are there any alternatives ?

thanks for your support

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
You need a M14 Spline socket to remove the caliper carrier. That socket is about £7

You might squeeze em out i didnt try i had the socket guess you could try first and if not then buy the socket.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Taking the top of the caliper off is easy, the whole job is simple and once you start it it's obvious what you need to do. You will though need a piston wind-back tool as without one you're not getting that piston back far enough to get the new bits in.

DaveLandy

Jul 3, 2020
Thanks all,
got the wind back tool already as have done a few rears ...was hoping that Id get away with not having to buy a spline tool haha.

DaveLandy

Jul 3, 2020
Update...
all done with the M4 spline tool. Was awkward to get at the splined bolts so a tip is to get the shallowest spline tool you can , as when a drive is on it there’s little room.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members