Rear discs replaced under warranty

loadswine

loadswine
As the title suggests ,I had my rear discs replaced under warranty last week. My rear pads wore out before the fronts and the disc itself had developed quite a lip. Seat agreed to sort the discs under warranty with a bit of help from the dealer.
I did have to pay for the pads themselves, but as that was all, I am quite happy.
Now we shall see how the new ones fare.
The brakes will get a bit of a test as I'm finally getting my remap done on Tuesday.
Already had a tuning box , so the comparison should be interesting. Mine has the DSG box , so I'll report back on a new thread when its done.:)

mxcupra

Be interested to hear about your remap....which one?

What tuning box are you using and how does the dsg cope?

loadswine

loadswine
MarkE said:
Sounds like it's more than just a pair of dodgy discs if the pads were worn out before the fronts. Bias problem?
I did have it fully checked over by the dealer, but they could only find any fault at all ( and it wasn't major) with the discs themselves. Of course I'll keep an eye on things, but if the same happens again, I have grounds for complaint.

mxcupra, I was using a Dragon tuning box from mrhoot.com, which was fine for what it was, but I wanted to go the next step and have a remap. Its being done by Celtic Tuning. I sold the box a few weeks back, so have got used to standard again. The DSG works really well with the box and keeps the power delivery fairly smooth, most of the time. Power curve kinda mirrors standard, just hiked up a bit.

Tell, were yours warped? If so, they should have been a warranty item. Easy for me to say, I know.

Tell

Staff member
No they were not warped, so they said, but uneven wear. I reckon there was always something wrong with the back breaks mind you. Nothing to do with this being an automatic is it guys ?, not taking it out of gear at lighrts etc. Loadswine is also a DSG...

loadswine

loadswine
The auto box may be an issue Tell, but I'm not sure why, just that a mate of mine who has a Mondeo auto has the same thing happen, front pads last longer than the rears. I don't think that leaving in gear at lights etc is a problem.
Probably just a foible. Perhaps reading a few Golf mk v forums may shed some light, there are probably more of them around.

Tell

Staff member
Well the garage did try to imply that it was something to do with keeping the break on and automatics, so I said "what are you saying that I should take it out of gear at lights". Didn't get any where with that, they didn't think so.

I just don't think that the back ones ever worked too well looking at the way the discs were always rusty on one side, which they said wasn't an issue when I bought it up as an item. Be interesting to see whether these new ones provide evidence that the back ones are used, even thou it was those where the problem was rust. My front ones do provide signs of wear as per a ridge, but the back ones mostly showed signs of rust even thou, they were providing the break judder.

I see Fifth Gear loved the new Audi TT with DSG tonight. Nice to have DSG devottees.

nickfrog

It migh make sense NOT to give them a test prior to then bedding in... Can't see how there could be a bias issue with the EBD fitted.

My rears have had a fair amount of wear too compared to the fronts...

Tell

Staff member
Mine hadn't warn at the back... now the new ones are Audi / VW stamped on them whilst the original ones didn't have that, so you never know, these might be better or the garage fibbed and there was a problem when I first reported it months ago and it just got worse. Not an expert on discs but on the outside which you can see, one side of the car at the back never was rust free which meant that it wasn't making contact in my book.

loadswine

loadswine
So , if I have understood this correctly Tell, one of the rear disc faces was not getting proper contact with the brake pad. Could be the disc, but the caliper might not be doing its job also. Suppose the garage looked into that.
That's the beauty of the dealer doing the work in this instance, if they have got it wrong, you can go back and get them to rectify it for free.:)

Tell

Staff member
Basically so they then said we have to change both sides and they had said prior to that, that it wasn't under warranty...... the best part is that it's now fixed and it was the rears causing the judder :). My brother reckons that I should have asked for what they had taken off since they would only get them lathed down etc, but I don't really want a couple of discs hanging about. The cruise is alright BTW, no more problems with that since they changed the stick.

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Having had lots (9) of automatic cars over the years the back brakes last typically over 3 times as long as the fronts so forget rear brake wear being anything to do with DSG (or other auto) boxes. Most cars I have had and run 80K plus miles the rear pads and discs have never been changed or given any trouble.

Just a thought about wheel cleaners though - have had wheel bolts go rusty after using wonder wheels (and similar) alloy cleaners so what is it doing to other components in the area if not immediately washed off. Also front brakes get heated up etc and have more pressure on them and I wonder if this cleans the acid treatments away - just thought, no engineering or inside knowledge!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.