Rear Handling

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Hi all, seems unsteady at the rear like a wobble if going over bumps dips, at any speed. Took pics seems like nsr tyre is further out. Nothing looks straight.
Any ideas. Many thanks
4cbe0d240c1da532f1b1f03aa5d496e0.jpg
b6d2a4ebb39f7fc4a2b3749b979905ca.jpg
22449f194d0552190bc6bfcd21b81d05.jpg

Sent from my Z2 using Tapatalk

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Cheers bud, it originally happened when I went over a slightly raised bridge came off the other side and the rear all of a sudden weaved!

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Time for new rear beam bushes I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Thai, sorry to hijack you here but do you think dead rear beam bushes could cause my issue with one rear side not raising on the coilover?

Currently stands it’s at max adjustment and only moved 5-10mm. Other side is fine and swapped shocks side to side to rule out a faulty damper.

I never got to the bottom of it other than suspecting a bent beam...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Manic172

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I've noticed some sway recently - first I put it down to bad tyres but I changed those and still get it. I tend to notice it more in the rain but the ride does feel a bit more clunky at the moment.

Normally it happens when I go over poor road surfaces and standing water. If I wasn't as confident correcting this as I am, I think it'd be easy to lose control of the car.

Could it be the same problem?

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I've noticed some sway recently - first I put it down to bad tyres but I changed those and still get it. I tend to notice it more in the rain but the ride does feel a bit more clunky at the moment.

Normally it happens when I go over poor road surfaces and standing water. If I wasn't as confident correcting this as I am, I think it'd be easy to lose control of the car.

Could it be the same problem?

Yes it could well be I had that and one bush had worn completely and the other side was not that far away

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Yes it could well be I had that and one bush had worn completely and the other side was not that far away

Car's getting on a bit and now I've looked into what I'd actually be changing, it does make me feel like that's what it could be. Looks like it can be a bit of a ballache though? I've watched a couple of videos on YouTube that claim it's easy, but that's on non-VAG cars. Have you done it yourself? I'd probably be aiming to replace the bush rather than fit a whole new beam.

Yellow fr

Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Car's getting on a bit and now I've looked into what I'd actually be changing, it does make me feel like that's what it could be. Looks like it can be a bit of a ballache though? I've watched a couple of videos on YouTube that claim it's easy, but that's on non-VAG cars. Have you done it yourself? I'd probably be aiming to replace the bush rather than fit a whole new beam.

I did do it my self with the axel still on the car
A hammer and a big flat head screwdriver and a small flat head screwdriver and I also knocked out the alloy middle part so I could brake the outer part a bit easier to make the bush a bit smaller so it would be easier to knock out off the axel

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I did do it my self with the axel still on the car
A hammer and a big flat head screwdriver and a small flat head screwdriver and I also knocked out the alloy middle part so I could brake the outer part a bit easier to make the bush a bit smaller so it would be easier to knock out off the axel

Thanks for this - it looks like it's pretty doable without taking everything off, and the last thing I want to do is start taking off brake lines.

The bush is 69mm, I'm thinking? What did you go for? It looks like Powerflex are around £70 but I've heard they can be too firm?

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
We sure it's my bushes as the car was mint I went over a bumpy bridge at speed with passengers and all of a sudden it sort of fishtailed been like it ever since

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Seems pretty likely bushes but surely worth getting it up in the air and going underneath first to check for play with a crowbar. Then check the wheels haven't got any play side to side and top to bottom incase it's bearings or something.

Yellow fr

Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Thanks for this - it looks like it's pretty doable without taking everything off, and the last thing I want to do is start taking off brake lines.

The bush is 69mm, I'm thinking? What did you go for? It looks like Powerflex are around £70 but I've heard they can be too firm?

574bf867dcdc15b3e1a9d5c05e44d9fe.jpg

I went with these and can’t fault them but did take a bit to put in had to use a bush tool to get them in even with a good amount off grease on the bush and in the axel but with the tool they soon was fitted
I think the whole job took me about a hour todo

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
574bf867dcdc15b3e1a9d5c05e44d9fe.jpg

I went with these and can’t fault them but did take a bit to put in had to use a bush tool to get them in even with a good amount off grease on the bush and in the axel but with the tool they soon was fitted
I think the whole job took me about a hour todo

Boom.

4e2295ab60d300a8e8ac011c90beb23b.jpg

Reactions: Manic172

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
325b1e1749210f30812ef8b5027cd8d6.jpg

Holy crap - they're enormous. I don't know what I was expecting, but they are bigger!

Any issues getting them in? I'm thinking about making a home made press but I've heard of some people being able to slide them in with a little lube and some gentle words of persuasion.

I think I definitely need them - had more than a little rear wheel steering on the way home today, which I don't remember coming as standard on the Leon.

Yellow fr

Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I used a lot off grease on them and clean the axel up well and used grease in there too plus had to use a tool to get them in took a bit to get them started but went in easy once started

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Think in going to get myself these ASAP to see if it sorts my rear sag issue , be curious to see how you get on mooks

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I used one of these bush pressing tools on the most recent pair i fitted but have done loads over the years without and used to improvise with various metal plates, nuts washers and threaded stud.
The inside of the rear beam needs to be spotless and its worth whizzing around it with a small flap wheel or some emery cloth to get rid of any corrosion or ridges from the old bush collar.
Plenty of grease is essential!
Also worth noting is that the pivot bolt needs to tightened once the weight of the car is back on the wheels or you'll end up pinching up the bracket prematurely which in turn puts the bush under a constant twisting tension.
4ccc04bae640e0d0c2155c7fe713d1b5.jpg

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Also worth noting is that the pivot bolt needs to tightened once the weight of the car is back on the wheels or you'll end up pinching up the bracket prematurely which in turn puts the bush under a constant twisting tension.

This is the kind of insider knowledge that makes this site worth its weight in gold.

So in this case, would I tighten the bolts while the car's off its wheels and then torque them when the car's back on the ground?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.