Rear light warranty work - is this standard practice?

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Leon went in for its first service today, which was going well until pickup time when a "but" arrived related to the warranty work on the rear light cluster...

A few weeks back when I booked the service I was asked if there was anything I wanted checked out, the main one being the replacement rear lights. Emailed over some photos showing the problem and mentioned the TPI issued for them. Was told the dealer would get the parts ordered in and fitted on the day.

Turns out that what happened today was an inspection, analysis of the cause of the problem (cracks in plastic as we know) and SEAT agreeing to ordering replacements. What that means is I now need another day off work and ~80 mile round trip to the dealer. I'm too far away for a collect and return as well.

With the rear light issue being so well known I'd expect SEAT to allow these to be ordered ahead of time - dealers saying they're very picky about issuing replacement parts and sometimes won't refund the dealer the money (heard that before elsewhere actually so sounds legit)

From your experiences is the dealer correct in how this has been handled i.e. does the moan later on need to be directed at SEAT themselves in how this particular bit of warranty work is being handled?

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
That sounds par for the course unfortunately.

I got mine replaced on both sides at 12months old, but not before the third time of asking. It is my experience with Seat that they will only actually replace something if and when they absolutely have to.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
Depends where you go I guess, booked mine in 2 weeks ago for today, mentioned the nsr light cracked and they ordered the lamp in ready to fit

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I had similar experience to the op. Booked in for water in rear light clusters but they had not ordered replacements in advance and had none in stock. Had to re-book a later date to get replacements put in... free of charge but still a bit frustrating.

DAN MKII

Apr 19, 2016
Just had mine done under warranty for crack from inside and condensation.
no problems at all.

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
Not sure exactly what happened but I was told they would order in the parts but couldn't authorise it until inspected. Car went in and they said they had ordered the wrong one, suspect it may not have been ordered at all which meant a return visit but was fitted while I waited at 8 am one morning.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Basically the dealer orders the parts off their own back and pays for them, then they claim them back from SEAT UK.

If for what ever reason SEAT UK refuse then they are out of pocket, that's why a lot of dealers inspect and get it authorised first.

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
I rang the dealer up telling them that after washing my car there was condescension in both rear lights, booked it in and collected it 2 hours later job done.