Rear tail lights always on

nelly22

Oct 20, 2017
So recently I’ve noticed that the tail lights on my facelift cupra are always on, day and night. Headlights work as they should just the tail. Anybody have any ideas or should I just give the dealer a shout?

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
Say what.? ..... It's the coolest feature of the car. I love mine being on all the time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nelly22

Oct 20, 2017
So they’re working as intended?? No problems then, thought it had acquired a gremlin that’s all

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Sounds like your DRL’s are in Scandinavian mode. In Scandinavian countries, I believe it’s a legal requirement for the rear lights to illuminate along with the (front) DRL’s.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
So they’re working as intended?? No problems then, thought it had acquired a gremlin that’s all

Yes they are! All new Leons apart from the entry level models have the rear lights always on with the DRL. In my opinion it looks Fantastic. Although I cant see mine when driving, I always appreciate how they look when I see another new Leon out on the road :D

Reactions: ryzzey

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
Seconded that is how they come now with rear lights on with DRLs. At least they are LED so no bulbs to change....forever!!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
This was the first mod I did to mine, seems pointless having front DRLs but the rears off. Glad to see SEAT following my lead :rofl:

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
Think one of reasons is people not turning their lights on when required

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Correct but you will get stiffed for the price of a full light if it goes wrong or fails out of warranty.

Dont quote me as I've not had a LED lighting unit fail but the manual states the LED's will last the lifetime of the vehicle. So should be replaced at no cost if they fail surely?

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Dont quote me as I've not had a LED lighting unit fail but the manual states the LED's will last the lifetime of the vehicle. So should be replaced at no cost if they fail surely?

Correct.

It says :
"Full LED headlights are designed to last the lifetime of the car and light bulbs cannot be replaced. In case of headlight failure, go to an authorised workshop to have it replaced"

What they don't say is who will be paying for the replacement.

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
I would like to think so and yes it does say the LED units should outlast the car

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I've seen some older VW around 09/10 reg with rear led only partially working but not sure if they were oem or aftermarket units. I'd be amazed if you could turn up at a VAG dealer in 10 years time and demand a FOC headlight or rear light because the LED has failed.

What do they determine as life of the car, how many years is this in VAG speak?

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
My mate had LEDS fail on the tail lights of his 2011 Golf Plus. He had to get 2 new lght units which he had to pay for (although I think he got a discount of some sort from the dealer).

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
My mate had LEDS fail on the tail lights of his 2011 Golf Plus. He had to get 2 new lght units which he had to pay for (although I think he got a discount of some sort from the dealer).

I know that there is some sort of percentage of LED's that are allowed to fail before the lights fails to be bright enough, particularity on golfs as you can see the individual LED's on the rear lights however, the Leons lights look almost like a continuous LED strip so I dont know how that would work if parts of the unit can fail or the whole strip fails.

hilaryj93

Nov 27, 2010
led lights fail just like any other lights
my 65 cupra rear tail assembly replaced under warranty
don't believe the hype .....

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
It's a very common thing nowadays, you'll notice nearly all new Seats have rear DRLs, as do most new Renaults and some Peugeots, even the new Fiats do, I could go on... lol! It's something I'm personally very glad to see!

fabiavrs2004

Sep 11, 2015
Bristol
I do recall that when I bought my 65 plate FR the LED headlights had a lifetime guarantee. At £800 a side I would be more than hacked off if this wasn't the case.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise