Rear wiper coming on by itself

Suj999

Jul 28, 2019
I have a 2015 Seat Leon, 1.2 Tech pack

When the wiper is on position 1, (just after intermittent) the rear wiper seem to come on intermittently.. and I can't seem to find a way to stop it doing so.

I can't seem to find any options about this.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I have a 2015 Seat Leon, 1.2 Tech pack

When the wiper is on position 1, (just after intermittent) the rear wiper seem to come on intermittently.. and I can't seem to find a way to stop it doing so.

I can't seem to find any options about this.

Pull the stick fully towards you, if you push it back towards the dash it clicks ever so slightly into the engagement for the rear and there isn't really an indication for the wiper being 'on'.

Does the wiper come on when you engage reverse? This is an option to de-select within the cars information menu.

Suj999

Jul 28, 2019
Pull the stick fully towards you, if you push it back towards the dash it clicks ever so slightly into the engagement for the rear and there isn't really an indication for the wiper being 'on'.

Does the wiper come on when you engage reverse? This is an option to de-select within the cars information menu.

Yep, is fully pulled towards me. And yes the wiper does come on in reverse gear.

But this is when I'm driving normally.. I only got the car recently, so could someone have messed with vcds or something to do this as I can't find such an option anywhere..

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I had a similar problem many years ago with a Vauxhall. The rear wiper would suddenly start working when the wiper stalk was in the ‘off’ position for both front and rear wipers. This was during a dry spell in the summer when the rear wiper definitely wasn’t needed to wipe the rear screen. I got a few strange looks from other road users - I dare say they were wondering why I on earth was ‘dry wiping’ my rear screen!

The cause was some sort of electrical gremlin that the dealer sorted under warranty. Sorry, can’t remember specifically what the problem was, as it was over 30 years ago, but think it might have been either a faulty relay or damaged wiring.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I think it’s normal. My Cupra does this when it’s raining and the auto wipers are engaged(with rear set to off). I do think it only happens in two occasions and to me that is:
1. I am going above a set speed (I think above 50/60mph but not sure)
Or
2. The level of rain. If it is raining a lot it intermittently wipes.

This is what I have decided why mine does it. It is only a wipe every now and again, probably twice a minute or so. As I said I’m quite sure it’s normal at least on my 2016.

And obviously If wipers are on the rear auto comes on in reverse gear.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
We have / had this on our Ibiza. The rear wiper would just randomly come on. We also have a sporadic issue with the boot not wanting to open. The dealer was at a bit if a loss but looks like both issues are related to water ingress into the motors. Thing is to access the motor you need to remove the glass and to remove the glass you need to remove the bonded on spoiler. So I haven't had it fixed and touch wood the wiper is behaving at the moment but the boot cant be trusted.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
VW Group do have a bit of a name for cars needing new wiper switch units. Certainly Skoda Fabia and some Polos and I think Ibizas, roughly 2010> seem more prone to this.