Rear wiper Exeo ST

davidlesley

May 20, 2017
Hi
Rear wiper working incorrectly. Switches on with ignition (every time) and after a few sweeps stops randomly- ie NOT PARKING CORRECTLY
Normally when switch is pushed away from steering wheel( 1st position) its an intermittent wipe. Not now. Pushing further activates water jet...this still works.
Have REPLACED wiper motor......so this has made no difference....so have sadly wasted about £100.00 .....Same symptoms as with original motor....

Any idea where to go from here??? Switches?? Relays????

I'd be grateful for any advice/help.
Thank-you, DC

S70DGE

Feb 15, 2011
Halifax west Yorkshire
When its sweeps across the screen does it stutter then eventually stop?if so i had the same issue with mine turned out to be the rear wiper motor i changed that and its been right ever since i paid around £100 for a new one from SEAT that were at least 2+ year ago not had an issue since

davidlesley

May 20, 2017
No, the motion is smooth. It’s the fact that even when the switch is in the “off” position, the rear wiper wipes when the ignition is turned on...wipes 4 or 5 times, then stops in a random position- ie not parked as normal.
I’ve already fitted a new motor..... so it’s not that!

davidlesley

May 20, 2017
Does anyone know what the relays in the panel below the steering column control?
Mine has two “645” and two “373”.
Anywhere to look up what controls what?
Thanks

ruud

Nov 9, 2016
DC - did you solve this issue? Mine started this yesterday during a monster downpour and has continued today. First thought was water ingress somewhere?

davidlesley

May 20, 2017
Hi. Yes, the issue resolved itself……… I sent the following to my usual mechanic, and he, unusually, missed my message…. By the time he replied- a couple of weeks later- the new wiper motor had decided to work correctly- almost like “learned behaviour”…….. really really weird.

{Hi Adrian. Hope you and yours are keeping well at this crazy time. Passat going well- don’t panic!
Not sure if I need to come and see you regarding the Exeo ( 2012) ST 2.0 TDi 143bhp...... the prob is the rear wiper comes on when you turn on the ignition and wipes 5 or 6 times then stops randomly..... ie not in the correct “park” position. As you know it should wipe intermittently (when stalk pushed to first position) until the stalk is pushed forward (away) to wash the rear screen. Then it should wipe continuously as long as the stalk is held pushed away.
The rear wiper arm was broken and the splined metal bit that fits over the spindle ( that pokes through the glass) was rusted to the spindle- couldn’t shift it. Thought I’d be clever and fit a new rear wiper motor: sort both problems: did this and fitted new wiper arm. New motor didn’t sort the problem.... still wipes 4-5 times on switching on, then stops..... randomly.
I think I need a rear wiper relay..... but finding a relay diagram for the Exeo ST ( or the A4 (B7) Avant) is like finding a map to find the Holy Grail....don’t know if the relay for this is in the cabin ( under the steering column) or under the bonnet. I’d be grateful for your advice... sorry to be a pain-cheers, DavidC}

Best advice.. fit the new motor and leave it a while and see if it ‘reverts’ to normal behaviour. Sorry can’t be more specific or helpful. Anyone else explain this…. does the new motor have to “learn” from the ecu????
DC

ruud

Nov 9, 2016
Cheers DC - I ordered a reconditioned motor yesterday for what it was worth. Tried the wiper today and it was doing all sorts, although responded differently to whether wipers were set to auto or whether I put the car in reverse.

Fingers crossed!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.