reconditioned or low mailage engine???

sabri747

May 14, 2008
If you would like to bay second hand 1.8t engine from eBay which one you will choice reconditioned one or just low mailage one with aknowlegment they are same price? and why?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Reconditioned or just painted/cleaned

Find out what they did to it

Equally, why is a fairly old engine that's been out of production so long 'low mileage' - has it been sat? Have they just lied?

sabri747

May 14, 2008
Reconditioned or just painted/cleaned

Find out what they did to it

Equally, why is a fairly old engine that's been out of production so long 'low mileage' - has it been sat? Have they just lied?

I agree with you totally. The reconditioned engine seller says their engines have done the following

NEW HEADGASKET

PRESSURE TESTED AND SKIMMED HEAD
Hh
NEW VALVE STEMS

ALL OIL SEALS

CRANK SHAFT POLISHED AND RENEWED

NEW BIG ENDS

NEW MAIN BEARINGS

NEW RINGS.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vi...c38d03fff25dc8?itemId=130888340345&cmd=VIDESC

And the low mailage is just from breaking car for parts selling says the engine is in good condition
:confused:

In our country this engine is rarely found in yards and if you find one it will be expensive!

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Ask them to email you pictures of the reconditioning work?

Bit of searching shows the company to be known as 'Ideal Engines'... further searching shows they are to be avoided!

Last edited:

sabri747

May 14, 2008
I'd not use that company full stop...

I don't like engines being opened up unless you can verify the engine builders skills...

Unfortunately they dont have link on website for their work shop but they posted that they encourage cthe customer to visit their workshop at 10000 SQ Ft to get satisfied. I appreciate anyone heard about them there

Apr 12, 2008
Unfortunately I have witnessed many times what reconditioning means. Sometimes it means, we ha two broken engines and we pieced together one working one, and painted it. Not saying that is always the case, but when money is to be made, corners sometimes get cut. Personally I would look for an engine from a rear ended car with FSH. But the world isn't always that easy.

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
You can buy 1.8t engines Farley cheap anyway I know as I sell them, so why not just buy a cheap block then rebuild it yourself atleast you know it's done then.?

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
I paid £700 for my complete engine. 42 k with all paperwork and service history. Didn't think that was bad considering turbo , starter motor etc was inc.
just make sure you get the right engine code unlike me. What a ball ache it was making it all work out of 2 engines. Engine is now on 110k and hasn't missed a beat ( apart from flaming coil packs and a few split pipes ) .

sabri747

May 14, 2008
My friend recommend to go to the. Low mailage at least you know that all internar components have the same wearing rate then its more manupulatable. What you think guys?

sabri747

May 14, 2008
How do you know the mileage?

And what's the country?

In my situation I have to based on what they post and their pic's and their customer feedback too . How could insure the seller honest :shrug:. .my country is saudi arabia.