Reliable car for £1500?

cosmy

First of all, Hello Everybody!
I'm planning to buy another car and my budget it's around 1500 £, i took a look at Toledo but I don't know anything about this car, how the engine is, how comfortable on long trips, any problems?
I want to say that we (2 adults and 2 kids) have long trips very often and honestly I don't want something to break at 2000 miles away from home or what can i buy around 1500£, any help appreciated.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Hi and welcome to SCN.

For the kind of money you have budgeted there isn't going to be much around that is anymore reliable than a Toledo with the exception (maybe) of a Honda.

There is currently a 2001 plate Toledo V5 with 28K miles on the clock for £1.5K ;)

cosmy

Now after few more search i have to decide between Laguna, Mondeo, Seat Toledo, Octavia, Citroen C5 or a Honda, but i know some of them have differed problems.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
You'll get a fairly new mondeo for that price, but they're dull and do have problems when they hit high miles. Don't buy a Laguna, it's not worth the trouble. Same goes for Citroen. A Honda would be the best option, but it's likely you'll get an older car for that money as they hold their value.

An Octavia is definitely worth considering, but a Toledo is the best value for money. Just don't expect to keep any residual values when you come to sell it.

WK2010

Nov 17, 2010
I have just picked up a Toledo TDi s 110 for £1500, with full servcie history and it is a lovely motor.

I would recommend one to anyone looking for a decent family car on a budget

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
My toledo v5 only cost me £600 and is excellent! Everything works and has all the toys too! I did 250 miles in it 2 days ago and it didnt miss a beat.found it very quiet at err 90 to 100 on a private road too! I buy and sell cheap motors and please do not buy a laguna or a mondeo.they go wrong so easily and laguna is so expensive to sort out too.hondas are good but a bit tinny.doors clang when you close them! Its weird but i have always found seats to be more robust than the equivalent vw's too.just my opinion and from experience guys so dont lynch me! Toledo every time for me!
ak

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
You'd pick up a tidy and looked after TDI toledo on that budget with some nice toys like cruise, and climate control. For that reason i'm gonna say Toledo. However you could get a tidy passatt for that!

xj8jagman

i agree with all the above the only other option I would look at would be an Audi A3 or 4 BUT you will get a newer lower millage Toledo for your money and there's not a lot to chose between them except the badge snob value.

salman_20vt

I am auto emoción al !!
Jul 3, 2011
Dubai - United Arab Emirates
I am a proud Toledo owner for the past 7 years now! I cross my heart and give you the verdict...Toledo has never given me any major problem! It is as reliable as my previous Bora V5, in fact a bit more than VW since it is more towards her Audi A3 sister rather than a Bora, meaning the dashboard and built quality...its similar to the A3 of that generation! Superb! Solid built! Very reliable...been travelling to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Oman by road from the UAE....was superb on long trips! That is my experience for a Toledo here in Middle East....

i'd give 5 stars for Toledo! this is from a 7 year straight Toledo owner! good car in its class....go for it.

dazzer

wwell this is mt 1st toledo and boy what have i been missing brought a 03 plate 3 weeks ago and very high spec for the money picks up well good on fuel would rec to anyone

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
old thread I know, but to help any future people asking the same old question I will throw in my 2p worth as well.

I bought a 2001 1.8SE auto last September, gave it an oil service in November, and nothing else since, it is a daily driver, only 5000mi since, and it passed the MOT 4 weeks ago without anything other than a number plate bulb at a cost of £1.60. So I would vouch for their reliability.

I also have a 2000 1.9Tdi, has not let me down, but I have had to replace several suspension components and front brake pads, but that is more down to neglect by previous owner I think, as I only got it for £1390 for 88000mi, nearly 6 months later and 5000mi, and still very good. I am looking to sell, but only cos Seat is not supported in NZ, and I am planning on moving back again next year, so am waiting from several NZ agents to see what my options are. First is a Saab 9-3 2.2Tid Linear, 2nd is a Passat 1.9 sport.

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
Just come across this, having regretfully parted company in the last few weeks with a mint '02 Toledo V5 150, 90k, every bill, unmarked, quality re-spray in metallic dark grey, cream alcantara, climate, cruise, park sensors, top-end hi-fi stacker, and refurbished alloys. Sat/nav gave up the ghost a while back when frost got into the antenna (fixable - at a price). For three years, though, it's been an absolute joy - apart from a brief spell when it developed an appetite for coil packs (£60 a shot - remember it has five cylinders). Now, the cat is disintegrating (£500) and it cost me almost £700 for a service and MoT. But this is just general wear and tear and not the car's fault, and I was quite happy to forgive it everything because of the way it drove and sounded. For the full story, can I suggest you have a look at a recent thread I posted, called Goodbye Tolly/Hello Exeo, in the Toledo Mk1&2 Forum?
My advice would be to get one on a country road and give it some stick before buying. If it's anything like mine was - maybe even a 170, if you can get a good one - you'll have a blast. I'd gladly buy mine back if I ever wanted a cheap, understated, performance saloon. Just make sure you've set aside a few hundred quid to keep it fettled. If you can accept 28/36 mpg and £260 a year VED, for what you get in return, the Toledo's a steal.

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
Further thoughts on the Toledo V5

A couple of other things have occurred since I posted this reply. Firstly, make sure your Toledo's well-shod with quality performance tyres. The V5s feel faster than the official figures would suggest - it's the torque and smoothness, I think - so it's worth spending the extra. Pirellis seem to suit it pretty well. And treat it to a tank of super-unleaded (or octane booster) now and again. It makes it quicker and you'll get more mileage, which offsets the extra cost (a bit). Also, it's loaded with options, so make sure they all work because they can be costly to fix.
This is probably a bit late, judging by the original thread, so you'll either be well into the V5 experience, or driving an alternative competitor - of which there are fewer than you'd think, even now. Whatever you're driving, I hope it gives you the same level of satisfaction and grins my Toledo provided. Big fan....

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise