Removing rear shocks

The Flying Banana

Jan 18, 2022
Hi, had quick look couldn't see , can I just remove the bolts on rear shocks and swap them out? I'm sure that all that's required when I did it on mk4 golf but it was a long time ago and it's not golf , I'm running coilovers if that makes any difference?

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I don't know about the Mark 1 but on the Mark 3 it's the usual one big bolt at the bottom and the top is attached to an alloy moulding with the usual single nut and them two large bolts attach the aluminium moulding to the car at the top of the wheel well.

Last edited:

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Yep - two bolts at the top and one nut and bolt at the bottom.

Be careful with the top mount on the driver's side as the arch liner can make it hard to get the left bolt in straight and it's very easy to cross thread, but otherwise it's a really straightforward thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Flying Banana

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Yep - two bolts at the top and one nut and bolt at the bottom.

Be careful with the top mount on the driver's side as the arch liner can make it hard to get the left bolt in straight and it's very easy to cross thread, but otherwise it's a really straightforward thing to do.

i cut a hole in mine with a stanley so the socket has straight access

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
i cut a hole in mine with a stanley so the socket has straight access

I really should have done that. I think taking the bolt out might have been what damaged the threads on mine - I used the impact wrench and when I went to put it back in, it didn't even try to go in straight. I think when it came out far enough, it just went sideways and that's when the noisy gun damaged it.