Removing 'swirls' from Black Magic metallic paint

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Hi guys,

Picked up my new Cordoba (Black magic metallic paint) last weekend, and I've noticed that the entire bodywork is covered in swirl marks. Apparently the guy had had the car valeted a week before I bought it..... yeah right! Some cheap polish and a bit of a hoover more like!!

Anyway, I'm pretty mush a novice when it comes to detailing etc, but I'd like to try and remove as many of the swirls from the paint that I can.

What products do I need to use (nothing too expensive!) and how do I go about doing it ?!?

Cheers,

Andy

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
andyj said:
Hi guys,

Picked up my new Cordoba (Black magic metallic paint) last weekend, and I've noticed that the entire bodywork is covered in swirl marks. Apparently the guy had had the car valeted a week before I bought it..... yeah right! Some cheap polish and a bit of a hoover more like!!

Anyway, I'm pretty mush a novice when it comes to detailing etc, but I'd like to try and remove as many of the swirls from the paint that I can.

What products do I need to use (nothing too expensive!) and how do I go about doing it ?!?

Cheers,

Andy

Pop over to here and all will be revealed:D

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1266

This is my car in Black Magic after a detailing session.

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Just read some of the guides and you'll be sorted;) And if you've got a Karcher pressure washer and need the foam gun to apply the shampoo, like the one that I was using in the thread, just drop me a PM. Like wise if you need a pressure washer;)

RobDon

Pro Detailer

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
andyj said:
Cheers guys :)

Will let you know how I get on !!! ;)

Might see if there's anywhere local that could use a machine to get them out..... or if there's anyone local to Derby who'd be willing to help me out with a PC !!! ;)

Andy

Andy have a look at this link:

http://www.frappr.com/meguiarsuk

You could also put a post on the Detailing World or Meguiars forums. I'm sure if you cross thier mitts with silver someone would offer thier services - plus you might learn a few things along the way, about looking after the paintwork:D

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
I find Halfords (black) colour polish works a treat for regular polishing on black cars.

DANNY H

Mar 27, 2006
Ipswich
andyj said:
Hi guys,

Just wondering how you got on. Picked up my black magic Cupra R in January and trying to keep winter off it has brought the paint work up badly. IT's started to hologram and i'd love to as good as it did when i picked it up. :confused:

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
I had a long chat with the proffesionals from Autoglym once about the same thing having previously owned black cars for many years..

the answer they gave was..
'apply the polish in circular swirls........but buff it in horizontal lines along your bodywork....'

hence its not using a circular motion when you buff off the dry polish that prevents getting swirls..

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
CupraTgirl said:
Any ideas of where i can get mine 'Professionally Polished' in the Surrey area

Needs to be done this weekend ideally

I thought you were going to show me how to polish mine???;)

and I don't want 'proffesionals' touching it...much happier with an eager amatuer..:D

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
mark sheerin said:
I had a long chat with the proffesionals from Autoglym once about the same thing having previously owned black cars for many years..

the answer they gave was..
'apply the polish in circular swirls........but buff it in horizontal lines along your bodywork....'

hence its not using a circular motion when you buff off the dry polish that prevents getting swirls..

That is how i do it now! Im a very good polisher you know ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members