RGP - Battery Charging

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
Hi I have cribbed this from the Leon MK3 forum so credit to them ! I have attached an image of the Mk6 Ibiza Remote Ground Post (RGP) which is found under the bonnet at the right hand side by the battery. It is a bare metal bolt like object marked with a "-".

The RGP is a car body earthing point that should be connected to the negative (black) terminal clip of a battery charger. The positive (red) clip is attached to the +ve battery terminal traditionally used with a battery charger.

The post is used in cars with a stop start system that incorporates a battery condition monitor on the -ve battery terminal (it's the small box attached to the terminal). I know from experience the battery will not charge properly if the -ve clip of the battery charger is connected to -ve battery terminal. If the RGP is not used the battery condition monitor can become confused leading to other problems.

Yes both my Leon and my Ibiza are the wonderful "Eclipse Orange" although the RGP's are completely different ! Apparently there is something in the manual about this but I have not read it.

20210110_152835.jpg

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
Update on this. I have just looked at P48 in the User Manual and the RGP connections are also used for jump starting in stop start models. The black jump start lead is connected across the 2 cars and connected end to end to the RGP's on both cars

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I attempted to find the part number of one of them so that I could swop the painted dome nut that is fitted to my wife's 2015 6C Polo, as I failed to find the part number on the Audi B8 parts listings I gave up for the time being and scraped the paint of a few areas of the painted dome nut, but, I'd rather have one of them to connect my smart charger etc to as croc clips bite into/onto them very well.

The one on my 2011 S4 seems to have better quality corrosion resisting finish - but I think that later Audis ended up getting the same as shown in that picture, so trying to get an Audi version new now will probably not mean getting the same as fitted to my 2011 S4.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members