Road Noise & Sound Deadening

Kyle Townend

Dec 3, 2005
Had my Ibiza FR a couple of months now, and over all I am VERY happy with it. Only niggles left are the headlight (getting sorted on thursday) and the road noise that seems to get through to the cabin in this car.

Ive read about people sound deadening the doors etc, but exactly how much would I need to deaden to make it actually effective in reducing road noise.

I dont want to do the entire car (I can live with the noise for the amount of effort this would need) however I dont want to waste my money deadening just the doors if it wont be effective!

Anybody done any level of sound deadening, does it work?

Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers

T. Spark

Ive got bubble wrap in my boot!? lol!

I know Mike_OBD & EdButler are sound deadin' theirs, due to new sound installs, dont know if this will help with road noise tho,

Kyle Townend

Dec 3, 2005
Sir SparkSter said:
Ive got bubble wrap in my boot!? lol!

I know Mike_OBD & EdButler are sound deadin' theirs, due to new sound installs, dont know if this will help with road noise tho,

Yeah, Im just thinking. Is there any EASYish way to get to the inside of the wheel arches? As surely alot of noise will come from this area in the car? :think:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I used Dynamat extreme throughout the front doors, it didn't make a massive difference to road noise, just made the door more solid, a bit less rattly, and got a bit more bass from the speakers.

If you've a 3-door, then I'd suggest first attending to the panels either side of the rear seat bench. I had a sneaky peak in there, and there's naff all deadening. At least the front doors have the additional metal panel inside between outer skin and plastic trim, no such thing in the rear on the 3-doors, just a large expanse of outer skin panel where the road noise from the rear wheels will come through.
I was thinking of just stuffing a large sheet of loft insulation in as a trial, never got round to it though :)

Someone else was looking at doing this area recently, might have been Chri5B...be interesting to see how he got on.

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
Thats the area that needs most attention!

The 5 door is quieter as there is much more tin blocking road noise from the rear wheels.

I'm seriously considering the noisekiller treatment as the samples I received look like they will do the job!

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
I have used some stuff that was recommended on talkaudio. It is a like a vinyl with acoustic foam stick to it. I also bought some stinger (like dynamatt) bulk kit. I have so far done the boot and the rear panels and under the rear seat. So far I am impressed. After reading about how easy the headliner is to remove on the leon then that it my next target. Once the weather gets warmer!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Seriously, why not try cutting a sheet of loft insulation to shape and stuffing it behind the rear side panels ?
A fraction of the price of pukka insulation, and if it doesn't work you can always swap it for some decent stuff. After all it helps with sound deading in stud walls inside buildings.

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Change your tyres.

When I changed to Eagle F1s I was suprised how much less road noise there was compared to the Bridgstones.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.