Rumble noise at speed

stevepx

Feb 9, 2016
Southampton
Hi. Having undertaken a few long motorway journeys recently I have noticed a strange noise and slight vibration which seems to on occur at motorway speed when changing direction. It's quite subtle but seem to be coming from the front right wheel area and a subtle vibration that I can feel in the pedals. It only happens when turning to the left either on long bends or changing lanes. The thing is it's not noticeable at any other speeds only at high motorway speeds. My initial thought is around wheel bearing, drive shaft or worse, gearbox. It also is made a little worse when I plant the throttle then it makes the noise and vibration in a straight line. Any thought out there?? Thanks

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Get the car jacked up and wiggle the wheel side to side to see if there is any play or knocking, also slowly turn it to see if you can hear and grinding noise.

It does sound like it could be a wheel bearing from what you have described.

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
It sounds like your wheel bearing, normally the rumbling will be when you drive in a straight line and then go silent when cornering one way depending on which side has the faulty bearing.
It took about 3000 miles for mine to become evident which side had the faulty bearing and even then I jacked the car up and couldn't tell which side was at fault as the wheels span and there was no movement in the bearings.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
+1 for wheel bearing, but also check the inner CV joints (the one at the gearbox end of the driveshaft) as this often causes the vibration under acceleration and at certain speeds.

Last edited:

DogToothCheck

Oh look! It's the eml..
Aug 24, 2016
Norwich
I've got an inner cv going and a bearing too for good measure.
Making a horrible droning noise. Are they the same as the Golf 4 Turbo?

stevepx

Feb 9, 2016
Southampton
Thanks guys... I've jacked the car up and can't feel any movement in either front wheel so must be early doors...forgot to check the cv boot... Any how I'll get it into the garage for the bearing to be changed... And take a look at the cv boot at the same time.. Thanks, feel better that it's not gearbox.

Last edited: