S3 S Tronic VS Leon 184 DSG

Alienatrix

Sep 9, 2017
Current set up:

Facelift Leon ST 184 DSG with a DTUK box.

Lease is due to end soon, so I thought I would maybe try something different.

Took out a 69 plate S3 Black Edition for a 2 hour test drive.

Vast improvement in terms of interior quality.

However, that's where it all ends.

Maybe it's the extra shove the Leon has due to the DTUK box, but I wasn't impressed at all with the outright performance of the S3 in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a mind blowing difference...

But..In terms of low revs pick up and effortless acceleration and just the general delivery of the performance, I don't think I could justify an extra £100pm on top of my current lease deal (£250pm currently).

I did however fall in love with the launch control of the S3.

But again...Once the Leon's tyres get that right grip, the S3 didn't feel that much faster than the Leon.

Anyone else experienced this?

Or am I just to used to diesel torque, haha..

Last edited:

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Diesel torque is far more aggressive especially with a tuning box, plus the Fwd compared to Quattro makes the power feel less impressive.

The s3 mapped would be something to experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Like you say in terms of low revs pick up and effortless acceleration this is where the diesel shines, especially if tuned.

My wife has a 2016 BMW 120d, 190 ps 400 nm and she feels it is just as quick as my tuned Cupra, which of course it is nowhere close to. However it's fairly quick in an effortless way until it quickly runs out of puff and you need to upshift. At that rpm the Cupra / S3 / Golf R really starts to shine and will do so for a few more thousand rpm at least. Very different engine characteristics.

If you're looking for a sensible drive, effortless power whenever you need it and great mpg, keep the diesel and the monthly savings, nothing wrong with that. :)

To me a diesel is a bit dull and it is nothing for me personally but the low end torque and fuel economy it is hard to beat if that is important to you. I have driven several fairly high powered BMW and VW bi turbos and still, no fun. Torque is not bad at lower revs with the Cupra either, mind you.

If you want a smile on your face everytime you get in the car though...join the dark side.

:drive1:

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Alienatrix

Sep 9, 2017
Makes m
Like you say in terms of low revs pick up and effortless acceleration this is where the diesel shines, especially if tuned.

My wife has a 2016 BMW 120d, 190 ps 400 nm and she feels it is just as quick as my tuned Cupra, which of course it is nowhere close to. However it's fairly quick in an effortless way until it quickly runs out of puff and you need to upshift. At that rpm the Cupra / S3 / Golf R really starts to shine and will do so for a few more thousand rpm at least. Very different engine characteristics.

If you're looking for a sensible drive, effortless power whenever you need it and great mpg, keep the diesel and the monthly savings, nothing wrong with that. :)

To me a diesel is a bit dull and it is nothing for me personally but the low end torque and fuel economy it is hard to beat if that is important to you. I have driven several fairly high powered BMW and VW bi turbos and still, no fun. Torque is not bad at lower revs with the Cupra either, mind you.

If you want a smile on your face everytime you get in the car though...join the dark side.

:drive1:

The worrying part is that if I choose to test drive a more powerful diesel (335d Estate), considering that a tuning box would take it to around 350 bhp (insane for a diesel) it will make even harder to choose petrol.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Yes but how much is a 335d on a lease? Different money. :) But they're quick, no doubt.

Alienatrix

Sep 9, 2017
£300pm for a 18/68 plate 335d Estate with about 10k milage on it.

Or £350pm for an S3 with delivery mileage...

1st world problems, I know.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Ah yes, for a used car. They're quite expensive new from a dealer. Anyway, not too bad. Keep in mind it's a heavy drinker compared to your Leon. Wonderful engine in the 335d though. Book a test drive :)

Alienatrix

Sep 9, 2017
Ah yes, for a used car. They're quite expensive new from a dealer. Anyway, not too bad. Keep in mind it's a heavy drinker compared to your Leon. Wonderful engine in the 335d though. Book a test drive :)

You're not helping:( lol

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Makes m

The worrying part is that if I choose to test drive a more powerful diesel (335d Estate), considering that a tuning box would take it to around 350 bhp (insane for a diesel) it will make even harder to choose petrol.
My dad got a 320D estate with x-drive. Not the same performance as a 335 but it's a really nice car and it can shift when you need it to, incredibly comfy but the sitting position in them is a bit strange, it feels like you're sat really close to the floor.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Out of the 3 R, s3 and Cupra the s3 felt the most civilised less exciting, Lovely place to be though.

For real world acceleration torque on the warm diesels are great and make the cars feel faster.

I remember going from a stage 1 mk2 FR to a cupra and being slightly disappointed - originally.

It's a very different drive though and the performance higher in the rev range coupled with the sound made all the difference.

Never looked back at diesels since. That is until the other day when I got left by a 335d x drive - didn't sound great but wow!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members