Scary START - STOP

pege63

Apr 10, 2018
Borders
I have no issues with the thought of a start-stop on my Ibiza DSG Mk6 car, in fact quite like it BUT there are some issues that IMO are dangerous.
I have had a few close calls where I have wanted to turn right from a busy major road onto a minor side street only to find the car cutting out while I am still moving and am about to turn. Car dies and power steering then cuts out too. I know I can luft the break pedal to get it going again but that short time is 'scary' to say the least especially when you want to sneak through a gap in the traffic flow. Have regular issues from minor to major too but its less of an issue in those cases. I also have the car cutting out when I want to do parallell parking, ie slowly roll fwd to get into position only for it to cut out just as I want to engage reverse. To me the system should be adjustable or at LEAST disconnected if the indicator is activated. I have spoken to SEAT Driverline (not interested), have spoken to Seat Service dept (unable to do anything). It has been suggested to press the on-off button which is of course possible but have to remember this everytime I start the car and that defeats the whole idea of having it. I think its a potential safety issue and should be addressed before a serious accident happens.
Any suggestions/thoughts?

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
If your driving in traffic where your needing to nip into spaces quickly or if your in slow moving traffic where your stopping and moving then just press the button to turn stop start off.....

Stop starts only fuel saving after something like 30 seconds anyway, otherwise the engine uses more fuel to fire up again.

Reactions: pege63

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
This is what I noticed too with the Mk6 Ibiza and Arona DSGs, engine shuts of, BEFORE you even stop... MK5 Ibizas and MK3 pre-facelift Leons you need to come to a complete stop and press hard on brake for the engine to go off. If I approach a roundabout, I usually press the button to disable it. becoming a habit now.

alpineSi

Oct 6, 2018
Nottingham
You could try turning the Aircon on - mine always flashes up the warning saying it can't activate start + stop because the climate control needs the engine.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
From manual.

Vehicles with an automatic gearbox
– Use the foot brake to bring the vehicle to a stop and keep the brake pedal pressed down with your foot. The engine will switch off. The warning lamp will appear in the display. The engine may stop before the vehicle comes to a halt in the deceleration phase (at 7 km/h or 2 km/h, depending on the vehicle’s gearbox).

In vehicles with an automatic gearbox, if the selector lever is placed in position D, N or S after engaging reverse gear, the vehicle must be driven at a speed faster than 10 km/h (6 mph) for the system to return to conditions in which the engine can be stopped

In vehicles with an automatic gearbox, you can control whether the engine should switch off or not by reducing or increasing the brake force applied. While the vehicle remains stopped, the engine will not stop if the brake pedal is slightly pressed, in traffic jams with frequent stopping and starting for example. As soon as strong pressure is applied to the brake pedal, the engine will stop

The engine does not switch off - before the stopping phase, the system verifies whether certain conditions are met. The engine does not switch off, in the following situations for example:

● The engine has not yet reached the minimum required temperature for the Start-Stop mode.
● The interior temperature selected for the air conditioner has not yet been reached.
● The interior temperature is very high/low.
● Defrost function button activated
● The parking aid* is switched on.
● The battery is very low.
● The steering wheel is overly turned or is being turned.
● If there is a danger of misting. ● After engaging reverse gear. ● In case of a very steep gradient.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
The engine may stop before the vehicle comes to a halt in the deceleration phase (at 7 km/h or 2 km/h, depending on the vehicle’s gearbox).

This is the scary part...engine cuts out, before a complete stop, as the person above mentioned, say, we are closing in on the car in front, we spot a gap, to go to the next lane...or maybe to move over when an emergency vehicle is aproaching fast, and you need to move and with those conditions stated above, engine could and probably would cut out...you can't, as the engine is off, and takes 1-2 secs to restart. The older start-stop systems, the conditions are (complete stop + firm press on brake), engine off. Perhaps this new styles is to lower emissions as much as possible, so engine off if the gearbox 'thinks' you are approaching a red light scenario. Perhaps soon we will have traffic lights that has a timer (perhaps like a LED strip, full LEDs, long wait, as it diminishes, soon the light will change green).

admac21

Aug 30, 2018
I know it can be disabled with OBDeleven, but what I think might be better for some is to change the default state to off when the car is started (as opposed to the current default of being on) essentially still giving you the choice to turn it on in situations where you might want it, but without the obnoxious assumption that if you did turn it off, you'll want it on again next time you start the car.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.