Scuttle panel removal

newtimecupra

Sep 9, 2010
tunbridge wells
Hi all I am looking to wrap my scuttle panel I have had a search and found a few that have done it but I've seen a few horror stories about causing leaks if the panel isn't put back right? The question is have people removed the panel to wrap if so is it easy to remove? Or was it left on?

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
The panel tends to leak even if it is put back in correctly.

If yours isn't currently leaking any water onto either the soundproofing (if you run with it) or coming through one of the 3 available drain holes or any of the holes where the clips hold the panel onto the bonnet - then I would leave it the hell alone!!

If you really need it wrapped, do it without removal if possible.

You will see my posts on the other thread linked above. I sealed all around both edges using 3M D-shaped rubber seal strips and and solid rubber strip on the lower portion, and water still gets in.
Thankfully after plugging up the 3 drain holes, and ensuring the tightest possible fit for the 10 or so plastic clips which hold the strip (which also have rubber washers on them) I managed to stop it entering the engine bay even though it still collects under the plastic strip.

All I have to do is lift the bonnet just above the horizontal and let the water come out the back - not ideal but im willing to live with it. If the water comes into the bay, it will naturally collect around the coil packs, and if enough builds up, can travel down the bonnet strengthening beams and end up in your air filter if you have a induction kit fitted.

Last edited:

Keegan

61 CR FR +
Dec 22, 2014
Glasgow
As said above, was not fitted/designed very well from factory. Mine is also leaking and have yet to get it sorted. I am thinking of removing and re-sealing using tiger seal but then you have the problem of removing again in the future if needed.

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
When I purchased my Cupra last November the original soundproofing was a little mouldy even though it's had the so called repair under the TPI.

So got a new cover and when I removed the old one I simply duct taped over the three big drain holes and plasti dipped the back of the new cover.Have to say when I open the bonnet there is no sign of it going the same as the old one. Plus upon touch it feels dry

Also any water that has collected under there drains away once the bonnet is lifted.

Keegan

61 CR FR +
Dec 22, 2014
Glasgow
When I purchased my Cupra last November the original soundproofing was a little mouldy even though it's had the so called repair under the TPI.

So got a new cover and when I removed the old one I simply duct taped over the three big drain holes and plasti dipped the back of the new cover.Have to say when I open the bonnet there is no sign of it going the same as the old one. Plus upon touch it feels dry

Also any water that has collected under there drains away once the bonnet is lifted.

You are a lucky man then lol mines is horrible so I think I will need a replacement soundproofing. I am thinking of just using tiger seal on the scuttle panel when fittin back on.

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
That will help mate should make a new liner last longer against the dreaded mould. All in all its a stupid design but doing like Locky and myself have will make it less of a pain.

Mine was £50 from the stealers and comes with new clips.

Keegan

61 CR FR +
Dec 22, 2014
Glasgow
That will help mate should make a new liner last longer against the dreaded mould. All in all its a stupid design but doing like Locky and myself have will make it less of a pain.

Mine was £50 from the stealers and comes with new clips.

Still a fair price to pay for Seat's poor design.

Barton1806

Jul 8, 2013
Blackwood, Gwent
Wondered why mine was doing this. How can this be covered under the warranty? my sound deadening is soaking wet and gone moldy, even to the point it was sagging so much has removed the texture from the engine cover :(

Car is still under warranty till October so once it goes in for a service what do I ask for, and what is the repair?

Tom

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Should be covered just say it's clearly not fit for purpose and you want new soundproofing and engine cover!

There was a TPI (done as a warranty claim) it's basically a so called solution for the leaking scuttle they remove the scuttle and put a seal around it and use different clips. To be honest it's not a complete fix but does help. Once you have it done if take the soundproofing off and tape up the three big drain holes that are towards the back of the bonnet.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.