Seat Ateca map upgrade issue

Jul 19, 2022
Hello everyone, so i tried to make the update a few months ago, but never worked. And today after a lot of research i have found that i needed the back up from my original sd card. The problem is as i never did that, i have no maps in the car. How can i fix this? Can i revert this somehow, or i have to pay a dealership to make this, or for a new sd card? thanks in advance

Tell

Staff member
I assume you are talking about mib2. We have a resource on that:

It's built from the grand total of user know how over the period. It covers what to do if you deleted the maps but didn't back up or you bought a car with the map card, got lost or corrupted. Covers vehicles 2015-2019. Also covers the mib2 high (Seat Plus) that doesn't have a map card.

Jul 19, 2022
I assume you are talking about mib2. We have a resource on that:

It's built from the grand total of user know how over the period. It covers what to do if you deleted the maps but didn't back up or you bought a car with the map card, got lost or corrupted. Covers vehicles 2015-2019. Also covers the mib2 high (Seat Plus) that doesn't have a map card.

Yes, i followed a guideline from seat website in portugal to update the maps, but i never knew i needed that nds file from backup....:( so now i am without maps in the car, but i am thinking of paying to unlock the Full Link.
Thanks i will have a look on that.

Jul 19, 2022
How to recover from loosing the NDS file is covered in the guidance.

Yes, yes, i'm on it!

What are your thoughts of paying to activate the Full Link? Can you do it for free? Or do you need to pay to someone send you the files and guideline?

Jul 19, 2022
Well that didn't work either, i downloaded the 0430_MP143-1248.0EUR.zip and the sd card is in fat32 but still nothing. Do I need something else? Don't mind the dust in the picture... 😅

Attachments

• 20220721_112257.jpg
    20220721_112257.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 16584773016473830774452183432267.jpg
    16584773016473830774452183432267.jpg
    906.1 KB · Views: 122

Tell

Staff member
Yes, yes, i'm on it!

What are your thoughts of paying to activate the Full Link? Can you do it for free? Or do you need to pay to someone send you the files and guideline?
Feels like this is a question for the firmware thread.

Mib2 high (Plus) has been sorted out by the user community for updates across a spectrum of functions eg all. One solution fits all that's the AIO software you see listed on the web. For Mib2 standard which you have what you can do is specific to which series release you are on. 4xx, 5xx and so forth. I can't say I have followed the FeC / SWaP upgrades for that since UK cars came with Full Link in the period we are talking about. The map workaround covers the navigation FeC issue. I suspect there is a DIY solution for Full Link but you need to be careful since firmware updates are specific to the series release (trains) you can't jump trains. That would be via changing the firmware. The coding approach is covered here in this video but you would need Obdeleven Pro and the license pin of the update. Suspect that's the official way by using Obdeleven (e.g.. you wouldn't have that unless you paid for it):

There are some firmware mods out there for the mib2 standard since they are the ones that retrofitters sell to cover the Mapcare issue but the workaround is free (NDS) so there is little point in paying for that apart from a code it leaves behind which means nothing. Any DIY firmware update runs some risk.

Try asking the question on the firmware thread if you are happy to accept the risk. There might be a code generator for the Obdeleven solution, pass on that. The hard-core enthusiasts, a net work of hobbyists are on there, some have the mib2 standard.

Tell

Staff member
Well that didn't work either, i downloaded the 0430_MP143-1248.0EUR.zip and the sd card is in fat32 but still nothing. Do I need something else? Don't mind the dust in the picture... 😅
Needs to be put on a Vag navigation card nit a normal SD card.

A fair few people make errors in the process. Common errors if you have reformatted the card which isn't a good idea you need a cluster size of 4096. Windows 11 defaults to a larger cluster size. It must be in Fat32, people pick NTFS, it wont work with that. Best in anycase just to delete what is on the card rather than reformat. You need to use 7zip to unzip... that's recommended.

If using a Mac you are suppose to use Keka and CleanMyDrive on the SD card after. Definite must on a mib2 high. Mac hidden characters get left which may upset a mib2 standard but definitely will stop the mib2 high process of map update if you don't use CleanMy drive if using a Mac.

FIle preperation is covered in the VW how to attached. People don't get the directory structure correct.

With the NDS file fix if you have lost yours (The workaround) you sometimes need to take that old Skoda NDS fike and copy into place on the latest maps. Try the year dot fix which would give old maps, then use the NDS file on the latest maps. Try both. Sometimes it springs into life using the old release, for others it doesn't but the old NDS file when used with the current release works.

In all cases you need to do this on the VAG map card, you can't use an ordinary SD card that wont work. Some people who do mess up their SD card via a format have had to buy a replacement card from an e-seller. Then use the old NDS file.

Attachments

• Discover_Media_MIB_Gen.2_June_2020_EN.pdf
    484.7 KB · Views: 110
Jul 19, 2022
Needs to be put on a Vag navigation card nit a normal SD card.

A fair few people make errors in the process. Common errors if you have reformatted the card which isn't a good idea you need a cluster size of 4096. Windows 11 defaults to a larger cluster size. It must be in Fat32, people pick NTFS, it wont work with that. Best in anycase just to delete what is on the card rather than reformat. You need to use 7zip to unzip... that's recommended.

If using a Mac you are suppose to use Keka and CleanMyDrive on the SD card after. Definite must on a mib2 high. Mac hidden characters get left which may upset a mib2 standard but definitely will stop the mib2 high process of map update if you don't use CleanMy drive if using a Mac.

FIle preperation is covered in the VW how to attached. People don't get the directory structure correct.

With the NDS file fix if you have lost yours (The workaround) you sometimes need to take that old Skoda NDS fike and copy into place on the latest maps. Try the year dot fix which would give old maps, then use the NDS file on the latest maps. Try both. Sometimes it springs into life using the old release, for others it doesn't but the old NDS file when used with the current release works.

In all cases you need to do this on the VAG map card, you can't use an ordinary SD card that wont work. Some people who do mess up their SD card via a format have had to buy a replacement card from an e-seller. Then use the old NDS file.

Dude!! Can't thank you enough. I will check all the info above during the weekend, today i have limited time. Thanks again mate! BTW that mr.fix guy is amazing, maybe i will buy an obdeleven, i don't know, it is a possibility. Thanks again!

Jul 19, 2022
Maps working again! ;)
Now this V1 should be very old right? Should i update to newer one, and backup off course !?

Tell

Staff member
Yes. That old nds file although its old is the fudge that makes it work. The workaround on map updating without mapcare works like that. Essentially the unit is paired with the release and that's the pairing file but a function of mapcare is you can always use old maps to the one paired. That's why it works with the old file. Moving that file to a new map fools it. It's essentially a digital date stamp. Exciter that use to post here identified that moving your original paired file forward allowed you to update the maps. A couple of years latter another poster identified that if you went backwards in time in old releases it works just the same. That made it easier to get maps working again when the content is lost. If you look at the file in a binary editor although encypted the file just grows in each release. It's like date stamping a library book. Moving the file is like moving the loan page of the book to a new book in an edition. It reads just the same. It's a design feature of mapcare that enables you to do this. There was one six month release where the file wasn't manufactured correctly where moving it forward didn't work, but going backwards like in your case kicked it back in. That one was identified by a Spanish board subsequently.

Jul 19, 2022
Yes. That old nds file although its old is the fudge that makes it work. The workaround on map updating without mapcare works like that. Essentially the unit is paired with the release and that's the pairing file but a function of mapcare is you can always use old maps to the one paired. That's why it works with the old file. Moving that file to a new map fools it. It's essentially a digital date stamp. Exciter that use to post here identified that moving your original paired file forward allowed you to update the maps. A couple of years latter another poster identified that if you went backwards in time in old releases it works just the same. That made it easier to get maps working again when the content is lost. If you look at the file in a binary editor although encypted the file just grows in each release. It's like date stamping a library book. Moving the file is like moving the loan page of the book to a new book in an edition. It reads just the same. It's a design feature of mapcare that enables you to do this. There was one six month release where the file wasn't manufactured correctly where moving it forward didn't work, but going backwards like in your case kicked it back in. That one was identified by a Spanish board subsequently.

Yeah i understand now. So now because these are from 2016 that means i can update "normally" and backup this nds file, than overwrite the new one right?

Tell

Staff member
Yeah i understand now. So now because these are from 2016 that means i can update "normally" and backup this nds file, than overwrite the new one right?
No. Take a copy of the card now. Delete what is on it, don't format, then copy the latest maps 2022 onto the card. Then copy your working overall.nds file into the directory overwriting the 2022 one with the V1 version. It will then work with the latest maps.

For on going updates I keep a copy of the file indexed into it so I know where to look for it. E.g. step 9 on my HD so I don't need to look at the notes. Thats where your current working one goes on the SD card replacing the 2022 one.

Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation

Jul 19, 2022
No. Take a copy of the card now. Delete what is on it, don't format, then copy the latest maps 2022 onto the card. Then copy your working overall.nds file into the directory overwriting the 2022 one with the V1 version. It will then work with the latest maps.

For on going updates I keep a copy of the file indexed into it so I know where to look for it. E.g. step 9 on my HD so I don't need to look at the notes. Thats where your current working one goes on the SD card replacing the 2022 one.

Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation

Well i now have figured late, that i cannot activate the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay with just OBDEleven and swap codes. This didn't work, because the Mib2 unit isn't patched!? That i didn't know, i was a little dumb within this, so i can now swap the codes but the full link is not activated at all. It seems that i need to patch the unit. Is there a way around this?

Tell

Staff member
Well i now have figured late, that i cannot activate the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay with just OBDEleven and swap codes. This didn't work, because the Mib2 unit isn't patched!? That i didn't know, i was a little dumb within this, so i can now swap the codes but the full link is not activated at all. It seems that i need to patch the unit. Is there a way around this?
One for the software thread. Most if not all UK units came fully enabled. FeC / Swap codes were the way the functionality was turned on. The mib2 high is fully sorted out with AIO releases, what the position is on mib2 standard I pass.

Jul 19, 2022
One for the software thread. Most if not all UK units came fully enabled. FeC / Swap codes were the way the functionality was turned on. The mib2 high is fully sorted out with AIO releases, what the position is on mib2 standard I pass.

I was thinking of doing the patch like in the video :
, installing this should work no?

Tell

Staff member
I was thinking of doing the patch like in the video :
, installing this should work no?
You'd have to find the Seat version of it. Mib2 standard has "trains" which you have to be careful with. 5xx is the latest train, 516 is the final release. 4xx is the train before etc. When I did look into the standard mib2 tool box before it was on a 4xx train, this one here on the Arona here is 5xx, so I didn't bother looking anymore.

You can downgrade on a train but you can't leap trains as far as the mib2 standard is concerned. Mib2 high you can leap trains onto 1447 AIO which is the fully specified final release with lifetime FeCs and everything turned on. The other approach with the toolboxes is to tinker with the FeCs. I believe the same backend developers test door is available in the standard system as the mib2 high, if that's the case you can upload your own FeCs. The high version they go in on a txt file. The watch word is to ensure you stay within trains (e.g. 4xx, 5xx etc) and don't use the wrong version.

The high mib2 tool kit needed to be paired with the specific firmware you had, if not the people behind it had to write you a module. They did that for me. It examined your firmware release and checked it had the module to slot in, if not you uploaded the backup it produced and looked for a kind soul to write you the module. May be similar. Alternative you might have to load up the firmware and then load up the tool box to match. As said I havent been following the mib2 standard tool box development.

Jul 19, 2022
All done, i needed to install the toolbox and i wasn't quite understanding why, but now i cleared all swap codes invalid. Did everything from the beginning and worked like a charm. MIb2 patched and codes valid to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Now i am pissed just because my almost 2000 euros Galaxy Z Fold 3 does not open the Android Auto. My other phones open, and iPhone opens .... well you can't win it all!! Thanks for all the support. I can now help others! ;)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.