SEAT Ibiza celebrates 25th Anniversary

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
SEAT IBIZA – A success story spanning 25 years

The SEAT Ibiza celebrates it's 25th Anniversary this year and SEAT chose to mark the significant milestone at it's home event the Barcelona Motorshow with a display of it's previous Ibiza models. Originally the 1984 Paris Motor Show was the chosen backdrop to unveil the SEAT Ibiza to the world and as you'll discover it's never looked back.

Read more at SEATCupra.net...

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
It's based largely on a press release SEAT Spain put out the other day to mark the 25th anniversary.

But having read that press release I decided to flesh it out with a bit more info and pics and make it a little more UK centric and explain the model generations as to why we in the UK consider there to be five generations.

sosidge

Jun 5, 2004
My first impression was that the original Ibiza looks better now than it did in the 80s - dare I say the best looking Ibiza of all!

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
:whistle:Well the main pic is a bit misleading as SEAT have left out their best looking Ibiza... the mk3

:lol:

On a serious note, it's not often that I find te mk5 5 door attractive, but that red one in the pic with all the other models, doesn't look too bad!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Even dealers refer to them as Mk3's. Seems the initial mistake was with the importer (ie SEAT UK or as they started as subsidiary division of Volkswagen UK)

It just kind of stuck here, though the Mk2 did have 2 facelifts during it's run. The original Mk2 with the inset moulding bumpers, the next mk2 had the smooth bumpers then they went to town and changed almost everything.

Spain considered that to be a face-lift however the UK importer or it's dealer network at least and the rest of us seemed to think it was a whole new car really.

Though SEAT have been guilty for years of changing specifications so radically that the customer and dealers alike got left a bit confused.

Remember the Ibiza Mk2 GTI and the Ibiza Mk2 GTI Cuprasport, the Ibiza GTI was of higher specification to the Cupra. It's said the Cupra was only built so they could homologate the car for F2 rallying.

Then there were Leon Cupra's, Leon Sports, then Leon Sports rebadged as Leon Cupras. Then facelifted Leon Cupra's to look like the V6 Cupra which never came to the UK. Then the Cupra R 210, then the Cupra R 225, then the FR then the FR made to look like a Cupra R. :cartman:

They are no better with the Mk2 Leon, the aero kit found it's way onto almost every varient including reference sports. :D

Last edited:

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
You did read the article then. ;)

I did actually!

Oddly enough the pervous version of that photo shows the mk3
seat-ibiza-5gen.jpg

Funny that VW dont follow the same strategy, I'd hardly say the mk6 Golf deserves to be called a new model. Really mk5.5.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I did actually!

Oddly enough the pervous version of that photo shows the mk3
seat-ibiza-5gen.jpg

Funny that VW dont follow the same strategy, I'd hardly say the mk6 Golf deserves to be called a new model. Really mk5.5.

Aye i knew you had, the ;) was referencing to fact someone was paying attention. :)

I thought about using that image, but it's emphasis was on the Mk4 (Mk3) ;)

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Even dealers refer to them as Mk3's. Seems the initial mistake was with the importer (ie SEAT UK or as they started as subsidiary division of Volkswagen UK)

It just kind of stuck here, though the Mk2 did have 2 facelifts during it's run. The original Mk2 with the inset moulding bumpers, the next mk2 had the smooth bumpers then they went to town and changed almost everything.

Spain considered that to be a face-lift however the UK importer or it's dealer network at least and the rest of us seemed to think it was a whole new car really.

Though SEAT have been guilty for years of changing specifications so radically that the customer and dealers alike got left a bit confused.

Remember the Ibiza Mk2 GTI and the Ibiza Mk2 GTI Cuprasport, the Ibiza GTI was of higher specification to the Cupra. It's said the Cupra was only built so they could homologate the car for F2 rallying.

Then there were Leon Cupra's, Leon Sports, then Leon Sports rebadged as Leon Cupras. Then facelifted Leon Cupra's to look like the V6 Cupra which never came to the UK. Then the Cupra R 210, then the Cupra R 225, then the FR then the FR made to look like a Cupra R. :cartman:

They are no better with the Mk2 Leon, the aero kit found it's way onto almost every varient including reference sports. :D
Bit like Porsche's really ;)

M4TTYF

V.A.G. for life
May 28, 2008
hadfield glossop
thank you guys for this amazing article into the birth and sucess of the ibiza and as you said long may it continue and by the way the early mk2s are the best in my opinion lol

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Good article. The MK1 looks pretty good it has to be said!

<anorak>And noticed the pre-facelift MK4 with post-facelift rear badging. ;) </anorak>

stuartydh

good article, have to say i think the newest ibizas styling is horrendous, apart from the picture at the very bottom of the article of the quite sporty looking one. it may be more "planted" but the looks arent as good as the previous mk's (especially the mk4 ;) )

good article, keep it up!

stuartydh

aye

i suppose thats a good point but lets face it at least the mark 4 looked sporty even if it was the basic model whereas the new mark 5 looksquite bad as standard...