SEAT Ibiza Ecomotive sets new economy record

steveb_1990

WOW, thats stunning! if only i could get that on an every day drive!

cdsheldon

How do they do it?

I pride myself on being an economical driver and recently traded in my aged Renault Clio 1.5 DCI for a new Seat Ibiza Ecomotive. My decision to buy the Ibiza was based entirely on its claimed excellent fuel economy, but I have been very disappointed and would not recommend this car to anyone else purchasing it for the same reasons.

I used to get about 70 mpg from my Clio on my rural drive to work, which was midway between the combined and extra urban fuel consumption figures. I had therefore hoped that my new Ibiza would manage fuel consumption figures in excess of 80 mpg, but it is only averaging just over 60 mpg for the same journey (don't rely on the mpg display, mine reads over 10% high). I've been told it can take a long time to run these engines in, but I have now done 7000 miles and there is no sign of any improvement in the economy.

The only way I can get 120 mpg is to coast down a long hill with the car in neutral.

Deleted member 13581

I could get back and forward to work 5 days a week for 39 weeks on 1 tank. :lol:

jamesyboy84

How do they do it?

I pride myself on being an economical driver and recently traded in my aged Renault Clio 1.5 DCI for a new Seat Ibiza Ecomotive. My decision to buy the Ibiza was based entirely on its claimed excellent fuel economy, but I have been very disappointed and would not recommend this car to anyone else purchasing it for the same reasons.

I used to get about 70 mpg from my Clio on my rural drive to work, which was midway between the combined and extra urban fuel consumption figures. I had therefore hoped that my new Ibiza would manage fuel consumption figures in excess of 80 mpg, but it is only averaging just over 60 mpg for the same journey (don't rely on the mpg display, mine reads over 10% high). I've been told it can take a long time to run these engines in, but I have now done 7000 miles and there is no sign of any improvement in the economy.

The only way I can get 120 mpg is to coast down a long hill with the car in neutral.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same problem with my Ibiza Ecomotive where I cant seem to get any where near the miles per gallon that Seat claim this model can do. It says 70 mpg on my trip computer but i'm actually getting 60-65 mpg. I agree the mpg will improve as the engine wears in, but a 50% improvement to get it up to 94mpg seems very optimistic. Is anyone else that owns a seat ibiza getting anywhere near the 94 mpg mark that has done more than 20k miles? It would certainly make me feel a lot better and I will have to wait and see if I can get the same results as my engine wears in! :)

Deleted member 62899

I just wish mine would go over 60mpg sometime soon - 2.6k so far, (1.2 Tdi ECO)
think i like the look of the Audi A1 1.6 tdi - F*@k Seats fool/fuel claims [:@]

Deleted member 35176

Or you could all stop being soft and just enjoy the drive?

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
Or you could all stop being soft and just enjoy the drive?
:lol: +1 :)

Just a brief one... slipping the car into neutral is 1. bad for fuel economy, as the engine needs to feed itself to stop itself from stalling, and 2. Illegal, as when coasting, you aren't in full control of the car. Best way to eco drive, keep the revs as low as possible *without straining the engine*, when slowing, change down the gears gradually, and smoothly, (ie: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Not like instructors seem to do nowadays and teach the kids to change from 5th to 2nd) keeping the engine moving under the momentum of the wheels, and so stops the engine feeding itself, and when long distance driving, keep as close as you can to the 'magical' 56mph as possible. Check your speedo for error with a satnav, as 56, regardless of wheel size etc is the magical number. (Shows up as 60 on my dash).

Other than that, an amazing feat by SEAT and Gerhard Plattner. It goes to show that 'Hybrid Synergy drive' can still be beaten by internal combustion when it comes to saving the planet. Until the advent of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell, it looks like VAG have the best answer for now.

Still prefer my petrol 1.4 8v :D

Wilson9

Oct 12, 2010
Coasting isnt illegal! Changing gears like you say also uses more fuel. The less changes the better.

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
Coasting isnt illegal! Changing gears like you say also uses more fuel. The less changes the better.

Well, that what mr plod told me :shrug: Well, out of coasting, and changing down the gears, the engine doesn't need to fuel itself while in gear, whereas it does when out of gear. Put it this way, my citroen berlingo, 1.6 duelfuel, leave it in gear when slowing down, 999mpg on instant, out of gear, 212mpg. Admittedly, if I'm slowing quickly, I change from 5th to 3rd, whatevers appropriate. engine braking is also much better than brake...braking.... as brakes (as has been written about manymany times) turn kinetic energy into heat, hence wasting it. Engine braking makes the most of the speed you've built up without wasting it. Tbh, thats when changing down the gears would be used...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise