Seat Leon 184 TDI Belt Whine

Steve J

May 26, 2019
Hi,

Since this forum was so helpful on my last thread, I thought I'd ask this question as well while I'm at it.

Since I got the car on 1,000 miles it made a whining / squeel from the belt area for about a minute on the morning start up. It won't make it again until the next start after it's been a day. I wondered if it was moisture but if I left it till say mid day the next day it did it again. Anyway, I took it to Seat under warranty and they replaced the cambelt tensioner. It stopped making the noise completely and fixed it. I'm now on 13,000 miles and it's making the exact same noise again. It's going back on Thursday to be looked at. I almost did not bother as it seems common and not a huge issue but wondered if anyone actually knew what it was and if it can be fixed or will it just keep coming back? No point in fixing it if it'll just come back again. I don't have the time to not have the car for long as I do a lot of miles.

Hopefully that makes sense, thanks!

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
One of my colleagues had this problem and he had a new cambelt and tensioners under warranty.

It took SEAT a couple of times to get it right and would only happen on a cold start.

Steve J

May 26, 2019
One of my colleagues had this problem and he had a new cambelt and tensioners under warranty.

It took a couple of times to get it right and would only happen on a cold start.

Has the problem come back? Across all the VAG forums it seems to come back after 5K miles. Mine came back so it's going back to Seat on Thursday again.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Has the problem come back? Across all the VAG forums it seems to come back after 5K miles. Mine came back so it's going back to Seat on Thursday again.

No it hasn't come back fingers crossed of course. It was this year he had it done though and is a 16 plate.

They initially changed something (tensioner maybe?) and it kept doing it. He then went back and they changed the whole cambelt etc.

Reactions: Steve J

Steve J

May 26, 2019
No it hasn't come back fingers crossed of course. It was this year he had it done though and is a 16 plate.

They initially changed something (tensioner maybe?) and it kept doing it. He then went back and they changed the whole cambelt etc.

Cool thanks. Mine now does it every time so will be easy to find. Hopefully they change the belt this time.

Reactions: Hawkers

Steve J

May 26, 2019
Just an update to this incase anyone finds this post by searching with the same issue, Seat replaced the tensioner for the cambelt, timing belt and idler pulley and the noise is gone. We'll see how long it lasts but hopefully it won't come back.

Also had a software recall done for the indicators thrown in.

Reactions: Hawkers