SEAT Navi system - map updates

DaveWells

Sep 19, 2014
Disappointing News for Owners of in-car NAvi systems !! :(

SEAT Dealership advises - should I want to update maps regularly then it is going to cost Circa £110-£130 from any Seat Franchise, every time.
If maps are updated say twice a year it’s going to cost £220 - £260 per year.
That’s steep - to purchase a TomTom device with maps is less, and regular updates are free.

SEAT UK (unlike other EU countries) has made little if any provision for support, read on.

Email from SEAT UK Customer Service (seatcars)
I have contacted our Technical support Team and they have responded with answers to your questions, please see the information below:
The SD card is not tied to any specific vehicle. When the unit is activated (using an activation code) it allows the unit to read a specific mapping data version. For example, if a unit is activated to read V4 data it will read data from any V4 SD card but not V3 or V5 cards.
The original SD card carries the same warranty as the rest of the vehicle and is warranted for 3 years against manufacturing defects. This would not cover damage or loss that is outside the manufacturer’s control, such replacements would be chargeable.
SD cards purchased as an accessory part carry a 2 year parts warranty, with the same exclusions as listed above.
Update Cartography SD cards can be obtained from your local SEAT Dealership. The card will need to be activated using diagnostic equipment, via an online connection to the factory. Updates are released annually, usually at the start of the new model year (end of May). Again your local SEAT Dealership will be able to advise you on the latest mapping version available.
Downloadable updates from the HERE site are only applicable to vehicles with the ‘Map Care’ option. This function/option is not currently available on UK vehicles.
Should you require the mapping checking/updating at service you should make the Dealership aware. This would be a chargeable additional operation.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Yep this is the response I got from Cust Svs as well. Just unlucky I guess that SEAT UK have short changed us as their product is slightly cheaper as Skoda/VW get the free updates via Map Care.

I've decided as I'm keeping my car at least 5 years I'll get the map update after about 2½- 3 years and I'll just live with the one update, roads in general don't change that much.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Question I would ask, taking the map issue aside, are the map updates also software updates for the technology pack.

For example if there are updates to the way the media system works, are they free updates at a dealer or do those updates come alongside the chargeable map cards.

As someone who isn't that bothered about the map updates, and as has been pointed out above how much do roads change in the course of a few years. If your travelling a lot, inc across Europe then I can see necessity of updated maps.

But generally I expect for most people the issue is a non essential one.

But that said, any improvements/bug fixes made to the Media system for example should in my opinion be covered by service/warranty.

I know on my old Mk2 Cupra I used a Pioneer Nav system, where alongside the chargeable map updates they also issued a software update that added new functions and bug fixes to the unit itself.

Ewan

May 7, 2008
So if I want free updates I go to Skoda and purchase the equivalent unit from them and replace the seat one! This should work as the update mechanism is dependant on the unit not the car.

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
The card needs to be paired with the car, which as far as I'm aware can only be done by the dealer. I don't believe it can be done using the VAGcom cable that you can buy on eBay.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
My daughter uses a TomTom and a few weeks back we went online to update the maps, it wasn't free, they wanted £80. So I would say £110 from seat for their upgrade isn't that unreasonable.
But I'm with Zboyd on this one, how much will roads change in three years, so do you really need an upgrade?

DaveWells

Sep 19, 2014
Interestingly the ‘Here’ internet site (the company that produces the maps and is shown on the back of the SD Card plastic cover advises the following 3 points:

1. If you frequently use your GPS device to travel unfamiliar roads, then updating its map data every few months is probably a good idea.“But do I really NEED to update my GPS maps?”
2. Yes, you do. While it may seem like the task of updating — and perhaps paying for — map updates on your GPS device is unwarranted, there’s really no way around it. Last year alone, 105,721 kilometres of roads across Europe were added or enhanced in our map updates.
3. Keeping your GPS map data current with the latest construction, new businesses, renamed roads and other points of interest is just part of owning and using this evolving technology.

So, updates are important – which is not an unreasonable customer expectation.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
When the new motorway link found Glasgow opened a couple of years ago I successfully negotiated several fields and defunct industrial estates by following the roadside signs. They came free with the motorway

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Interestingly the ‘Here’ internet site (the company that produces the maps and is shown on the back of the SD Card plastic cover advises the following 3 points:

1. If you frequently use your GPS device to travel unfamiliar roads, then updating its map data every few months is probably a good idea.“But do I really NEED to update my GPS maps?”
2. Yes, you do. While it may seem like the task of updating — and perhaps paying for — map updates on your GPS device is unwarranted, there’s really no way around it. Last year alone, 105,721 kilometres of roads across Europe were added or enhanced in our map updates.
3. Keeping your GPS map data current with the latest construction, new businesses, renamed roads and other points of interest is just part of owning and using this evolving technology.

So, updates are important – which is not an unreasonable customer expectation.

You also have to factor in that NAVTEQ are the company selling the product, its in their financial benefit to push the cause for regular map updates.

But is the information provided factual…maybe ;)

Across the whole of Europe (105,000 Km) of road really isn't a huge amount, when you add up all the roads, around all the major towns and cities in the European union add up to approx 10,5 million km.

So you have to ask yourself of that 105,000Km of road updates how much has changed on your regular commute, or would seriously effect your ability to travel if you didn't update??

Like I say guess it depends how much travelling you do and how it effects you.

I personally can still read a map, and can read road signs too :cartman:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise