Seat supplied TomTom710 Problems

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
I have read this thread and have a new query.
I have an Altea XL with the Tom Tom mount etc, fully fitted by dealer before I got car. I use the TT for my bluetooth handsfree and although the sound comes through the car speakers, the microphone is only the mic on the actual TT unit. The caller always struggles to hear me .

If I had to use the windscreen mount, it has a socket for the external mic to be plugged in but the Seat dashboard mount does not.

So my question is, is there any way that i can "hard wire" an external mic directly into the junction box etc? If so, in layman terms, how do I do it?

malcvxer

I have posted on here before but still have the situation where there is power to the mounting (i.e. the TT shows as charging) BUT it doesn;t charge. The wiring must be wrong into the black box and the dealer is too far away from and really doesn't want to know really. I've sent the wiring diagrams (above) but still no joy. I've also tried my local dealer (Aylesbury) but they don;t have clue!!!
Can anyone advise me any dealer or installer that knows how to fix it (someone who has done it before properly!). I'm sure it's a 5 minute job for someone who knows. It's very frustrating as the TT cannot be charged in the car.
Thanks
Malcolm

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
I have posted on here before but still have the situation where there is power to the mounting (i.e. the TT shows as charging) BUT it doesn;t charge. The wiring must be wrong into the black box and the dealer is too far away from and really doesn't want to know really. I've sent the wiring diagrams (above) but still no joy. I've also tried my local dealer (Aylesbury) but they don;t have clue!!!
Can anyone advise me any dealer or installer that knows how to fix it (someone who has done it before properly!). I'm sure it's a 5 minute job for someone who knows. It's very frustrating as the TT cannot be charged in the car.
Thanks
Malcolm

Malcolm, I take it the TT unit it's self charges fine using the 240v supplied charger?

Did your car come with the Factory TT wiring or did the dealer try to do it for you?

malcvxer

Cupra: Thanks. Yes the unit crages OK with the 240v charger.
The car came with the BT loom and could not therefore be used directly into the loom. The dealer arranged to have the Seat Black box and mount supplied and fitted (not by them actually). All I wanted was a 12 v supply - I know I can't do the speakers. I took it back and they tried it again and when they got the charging light they thought it was OK (so did I!). But it wasn;t charging. I'm not a sparky and don;t want to mess with it. Any ideas?
Cheers

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Cupra: Thanks. Yes the unit crages OK with the 240v charger.
The car came with the BT loom and could not therefore be used directly into the loom. The dealer arranged to have the Seat Black box and mount supplied and fitted (not by them actually). All I wanted was a 12 v supply - I know I can't do the speakers. I took it back and they tried it again and when they got the charging light they thought it was OK (so did I!). But it wasn;t charging. I'm not a sparky and don;t want to mess with it. Any ideas?
Cheers

It which case then Malcolm, yours more or less works like mine, although I don't use the car's speakers.

It or I have got two wires connected to a positive and one earth, I suspect then that you only have the one positive hence the unit not charging correctly. I am not sure now off the top of my head the wire colours, but I shall find out and let you know.

It was a squeeze getting the 3 wires that were necessary into the supplied TT wiring plug as I didn't want to cut if off the short loom.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Malcolm, I've just read back through this thread and Post number 18 that Jonial posted up is the wiring colours that I used to get mine working.

Hello to all

I Promised to report back so here goes
On the twenty way connector into the "Black Box" the power connections are:-

Grey or Slate wire = Earth
Red Wire = 12 volt positive permanent feed
Purple Wire = 12 volt positive switched by the ignition switch.

Hope this helps

You'll have to remove the side panel covering your Fusebox to see how they have done the wiring and if indeed the red and purple wires have been connected.

If you could take a photo and post it up on here I'd appreciate to see how the so called professionals have done your's.

Rich

oliverpe

I have swapped my 710 for a 910, but cannot get the bluetooth hands free sound to come through the car speakers on the factory fit mount, worked perfect for the 710. Has the 910 got slightly different wiring to 710, or is the application configred differently. Also no one can hear me, does the 910 need the microphone fitted. :confused:

I liked the idea of the larger disk and playing MP3, but now worried I have made a mistake. The directions get cut off at the beginning, the hands free does not work like the 710. I have also got Tomtom to migrate my traffic & camera subs to the 910, and this has not worked either, and i cant get it to switch back. :cry: :cry: :cry:

nastyneil

Audio Problems and updating

Slightly different issue to the others I think.

I got the 710, and the dash mount installed as the only available sat nav option at the time (the inbuilt option had been removed as an option).

I have since had 2 units that have had the same problem. When I have done a Tom Tom update, I have either lost all voice commands, or have very intermittant commands.

After resetting the device and doing a Tom Tom re-format, the unit now cuts in over the radio, but has REALLY low volume. This can be turned up using the radio volume nob, but then at the next command, the volume has returned to the low level again!

After speaking to both Seat and Tom Tom, it seems that whatever happens I'm going to be left either; with a working unit that can never be updated, OR a unit that can be updated, but will lose voice commands!

ANY HELP OR ADVICE!!!!???:help:

The built in unit would have been SOOOOO much better for me. Had the VW one in a Passat, and it worked a treat.

Cheers
Neil

nastyneil

What is a Tom Tom re-format? How do I perform?

You have to do a backup of the memory, then wipe the memory clean and re-install the old software. Not a difficult procedure, as long as you have all the relevant information right in front of you....problem was, all it did for me was turn one problem into a slightly different one!:blink:

So nobody else had similar problems to me??!! Please.....anyone....

ritaginn

Mic Not working

I have read this thread and have a new query.
I have an Altea XL with the Tom Tom mount etc, fully fitted by dealer before I got car. I use the TT for my bluetooth handsfree and although the sound comes through the car speakers, the microphone is only the mic on the actual TT unit. The caller always struggles to hear me .

If I had to use the windscreen mount, it has a socket for the external mic to be plugged in but the Seat dashboard mount does not.

So my question is, is there any way that i can "hard wire" an external mic directly into the junction box etc? If so, in layman terms, how do I do it?

Hi

did you ever get a reply to this as i have the same issue with mine!!!

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Sorry I never got a reply - I ended up just buying a Jabra Visor Bluetooth thingy.

If you find out an answer make sure you let us know!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise