Service indicator changes mind

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
My Cupra is due for its first service and I booked it last week when the indicator was at 40 days. The nearest date I could get was 20th July.
The indicator however is constantly moving back and forth. At the beginning of this week it was up to 42 days, now its at 28 days. I assume this is relatively normal and there is a 30 day either side window like there was with my previous vauxhall.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm guessing that your Cupra is set up for variable or flexible servicing and that is why it is doing that, if it is set for fixed months/miles servicing then that should not be happening.

Invertigo

Nov 19, 2019
As a related question to the OPs, is there an easy way to check if the car is on variable or fixed servicing without taking it to a dealers etc?

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
lol

Well the service will be about 7 to 10 days after the time it wants, so it will just have to lump it.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
As a related question to the OPs, is there an easy way to check if the car is on variable or fixed servicing without taking it to a dealers etc?

I've just had a quick look at mine and can't tell. If you go into the car menu and look at the servicing option, it tells you when the next inspection and interim service is due in days and mileage. Not sure if you can work it out from that?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've just had a quick look at mine and can't tell. If you go into the car menu and look at the servicing option, it tells you when the next inspection and interim service is due in days and mileage. Not sure if you can work it out from that?

If the car has had its first service, you should be able to make out if the shown date or miles of its next service is 12 months or 10,000miles - roughly/nearly, from when the previous service was carried out.
If the car is still to have its first service then things can be a bit trickier as the supplying dealership might not have bothered to reset the service clocks at PDI time, so they will be running from initial build battery connected date and 0.0miles.

If you are really concerned or interested in which service strategy your car has been set on, just check the service date/miles currently on the car's system, then check again in maybe 7 or 10 days and they should remain the same for fixed date/miles servicing but move about a bit if on variable/flexible/longlife servicing.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
A friends Merc SLK has servicing required by dash light/indicator, this came on but hadn’t done many miles, but mostly town, soI took it out for an “Italian” tune up, light off and stayed off for several months, it did light again but this time she gave it a blast herself, out again, for a couple of months. Seems if the oil?etc doesn’t get really hot car wants a service, could Seat be similar?

Invertigo

Nov 19, 2019
If the car has had its first service, you should be able to make out if the shown date or miles of its next service is 12 months or 10,000miles - roughly/nearly, from when the previous service was carried out.
If the car is still to have its first service then things can be a bit trickier as the supplying dealership might not have bothered to reset the service clocks at PDI time, so they will be running from initial build battery connected date and 0.0miles.

If you are really concerned or interested in which service strategy your car has been set on, just check the service date/miles currently on the car's system, then check again in maybe 7 or 10 days and they should remain the same for fixed date/miles servicing but move about a bit if on variable/flexible/longlife servicing.
Fairly sure when I checked the car new it had something like 700 days, so I'd assume that's variable. It was 100% more than 500 days at the very least

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Don’t know if Seat use the same option code for long life / flexible servicing as VW. If so, then option code Q16 is the code for variable / flexible servicing. The option codes for my VW are listed on the vehicle data sticker; in my VW it’s attached to the boot floor, and there’s a second one in the front of the service book.

As VAG cars no longer have service books, the second copy of the data sticker may no longer be provided . Alternatively, it might be in the front of the owners manual.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
In my experience VW Group have stopped bothering about sticking the build data stickers in the LHS of the spare wheel well and as there is only digital service records now, no where else to place/find that info. One thing though, in the official workshop manual, there is still an entry for what to do with the 2 supplied "build data" stickers, but including that in the workshop manuals for current cars might just be an oversight on the part of the technical authors.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
My Cupra is due for its first service and I booked it last week when the indicator was at 40 days. The nearest date I could get was 20th July.
The indicator however is constantly moving back and forth. At the beginning of this week it was up to 42 days, now its at 28 days. I assume this is relatively normal and there is a 30 day either side window like there was with my previous vauxhall.

I recognize this behaviour. It’s common if the car is driven for short distances and also isn’t used for short periods, say a week. Then if you take out the car for a long distance tour it could add remaining days and kilometres for service. Don’t worry, this is normal.

/Peter

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
To be honest im more concerned about it being late for its service because the days keep changing.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
To be honest im more concerned about it being late for its service because the days keep changing.
Yes! I have changed the value of days with OBDEleven since I lost some days just before service. The Cupra was sitting to much in the garage in combination with many short runs.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.