Service & Maintenance Contracts worth it or not?

Ballon

Jul 13, 2014
Wimbledon
Some advice please folks.

I am picking my new Cupra up next week and I've been offered the fixed servicing & maintenance plan, either with or without tyres, costing £34.79 or £20.49 per month respectively for a 3 year period.

My natural inclination is to decline but before I do I thought I would ask here regarding peoples experience or general views. I do have it on my current car but it was chucked in as part of the deal so I've nothing to compare with regards to value for money etc.

Mar 13, 2011
Guess it depends on the mileage you do? I wouldn't take it because the servicing isn't actually very expensive and with my miles I'd be expecting around £300 - £350 servicing costs in three years. Tyres are *bloody* expensive, granted, but I wouldn't expect to go through a grands worth in three years either.

For me paying for tyres and servicing when needed makes more sense. Your circumstances may differ.

Ballon

Jul 13, 2014
Wimbledon
Thanks for the reply.

My mileage is probably less than 8,000 miles per year so not excessive, the tyres I'll take on the chin. Therefore I think I will decline

Hobbit

Aug 5, 2006
Stockport
Seems expensive for service and maintenance even if you exclude the tyres.
I have a service only contract for 3 years and pay just under £10 a month, total cost over 3 years is under £360 and actual service costs for years 1, 2 & 3 are £507 (£169, £139 + £199) so around £150 saved.
The extra you were quoted to include maintenance seems expensive but depends on what items this includes and how often you need things like brake pads changing depending on mileage etc.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Go for a 4 year contract for service only and you'll be about £150 better off. The 4 year service is expensive. I pay £11.20 pm for a 1.2 TSI +DSG.

Last edited:

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
That's really expensive. I got 3 years servcing including the first MOT test for £249.

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
Thanks for the reply.

My mileage is probably less than 8,000 miles per year so not excessive, the tyres I'll take on the chin. Therefore I think I will decline

On my last car a Golf the front tyres lasted 20k miles, did a bit of searching online got them delivered and fitted by blackcircles for 130 quid, 16 inch bridgestones same size as my Leon albeit they are Continentals on this one so might be a bit dearer.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.