Should I get a new Ibiza cupra?!

Cupratimmy

Apr 11, 2010
Farnborough, Hampshire
Hi there

Sadly recently my mk3 ibiza cupra was wrote off by a silly lady pulling out in front of me :( So ive been deciding what car to get next I've narrowed my search down to a new mk5 Ibiza cupra. The performance, mpg, tax and insurance all sound verypromising not to mention how gorgeous it looks but .....I'm worried about getting one as I've spent alot of time on the forum reading up on how many people have had misfires and new engines Ect! Should I still put a deposit on one?

Tim

Aug 3, 2011
The attrition rate is pretty high on these cars. Most if not all the problems I have heard of/seen have been on 10plate and older cars with batteries in the front(seems after 2011 there was a big change in the cars, battery in boot and less/no issues). Bad state of affairs to say its been around since 2008!. Mine is a 2011 and had a soft misfire(no loss of power no limp mode ect) and Had its injectors/sparks changed and has been fine ever since, It's only done 7000miles so far though. My friend bought a 10plate FR and that blew up twice(!) as well as having the misfire before that. Mate bought a Cupra and its died as well. THankfully(I dont have any wood to touch though so im now very worried!!!) mine has been perfect since its first mishap. I was well read up on them and like you was worried, but still took the plunge and got one!

Its a brilliant car. Really is. Great combination of price and power that I cant see any other car matching. Its not going to take a clio/fiesta ect round corners but the DSG really makes it a weapon from slow speeds. It understeers a little too much for me, but at the same time, its quite a nice comfty cruiser more than a track toy as ive said before. That can allways be changed anyway with weight reduction/suspension.

My advice would be to have the knowledge(seems you already do) of these engiens that they are a bit fragile. In my two friends cases I think driving hard from cold/not checking oil ect had parts to play, but its no excuse for them eating the pistons so quickly! I always warm up and cool down mine. I check its oil every week or so. It is given a hard time I do push it when I want to but not 100% of the time.

My only other bit of advice would be to get one with the battery in the boot, makes working in the engine bay much easier and lets you have a nice intake set up :) as well as being a more updated engine.

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
Ye I had my misfire by opening her up to quickly and not letting the engine warm up enough. Since an update, not an issue what so ever. Would highly reccomend getting one. Love mine !!

Cupratimmy

Apr 11, 2010
Farnborough, Hampshire
I see I never used to rag my previous Ibiza from cold anyway but as you said that's no excuse for the pistons to go! seems worrying I mean i know no car is perfect I had a few issues with my mk3 I just don't wanna make the wrong decision as it would be used as a daily commuter.
Problem is Im not sure of I an afford an 11 plate one as my budget is about 11-12k at the moment see the ones I have been looking at are the 10 plate ones and this does worry me now.
I was impressed by the handling of one that I had a run in, in my mk3 it ruined me on the corner and straights. My mk3 never use to give me confidence to push it.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
My only advice would be that the facelift Ibiza will be out later this year. No details on whether or not the Cupra will be any different (it didn't change much with the mk4 facelift), but it does mean you would have the option of rear speakers which have been added back as an option on the facelift models after being deleted in MY12.

Andy_Cup

Jul 5, 2011
Cheshire
If reading all the threads about misfires, oil consumption and dsg problems on here hasn't put you off then I don't know what will, i'll just say that I find mine boring and uninvolving most of the time unless you're really pushing on, and when you do it understeers.
If you're planning on getting a 10 plate remember you'll only have another year or so of warranty left and the price of a replacement engine is £3500 plus fitting.

You might be able to tell i'm not that fussed on mine! :(

Cupratimmy

Apr 11, 2010
Farnborough, Hampshire
If reading all the threads about misfires, oil consumption and dsg problems on here hasn't put you off then I don't know what will, i'll just say that I find mine boring and uninvolving most of the time unless you're really pushing on, and when you do it understeers.
If you're planning on getting a 10 plate remember you'll only have another year or so of warranty left and the price of a replacement engine is £3500 plus fitting.

You might be able to tell i'm not that fussed on mine! :(

This sadens me..... :(

Ive never came across a statement like that about this car before i know the car has problems, but from what ive read up many people said there very fun to drive and the performance is great standard! 13- 14 ish sec 1/4 mile times after a remap is insane aswell! :3rd: s
Surely the speed and powerdelivery must be fun and a bit unique with the dsg box?

figolovechild

Leon FR CR 170TDI
Sep 12, 2011
Glenrothes
This sadens me..... :(

Ive never came across a statement like that about this car before i know the car has problems, but from what ive read up many people said there very fun to drive and the performance is great standard! 13- 14 ish sec 1/4 mile times after a remap is insane aswell! :3rd: s
Surely the speed and powerdelivery must be fun and a bit unique with the dsg box?

Mine is a January 60 plate and I had to have my piston rings replaced. Same old story with too much oil consumption. Mine is completely standard and is fast enough the way it is for me personally. Although going faster would still be fun but I am not going to go down that road of maps etc. Inside my car it rattles in every corner of the car and it drives me nuts. Maybe I was spoiled with my Golf b4 but doesn't seem acceptable to me. I don't feel confident when I am sat at junctions waiting to take off as quite a lot of the time when I push the accelerator there is a delay in it taking off which scares the **** out of me when it is busy. I have a slight niggle with the DSG when I am in manual mode with it changing down to 1st gear too quickly, which I am certain is a fault as it doesn't do it in drive mode. Not exactly manual mode either when it changes down for you........Its probably hard to believe after all my moaning but I love the car as I love the looks, speed and economy so I try to put most the negatives to the back of my head. It's good to get it off my chest in here though lol To be honest most these niggles I have listed you can also have with any other make of car. Think it's luck of the draw to be honest. If you like the car then I say go for it. Most people on here only come on because they have niggles with their car so It exaggerates the amount of problematic cars as you never really here of the people who are not having problems.

Deleted member 49882

I wouldn't be overly concerned to be honest. I have a 2009 boc at the moment. Had a blown turbo way back when I bought it. Was replaced under warranty and never had any issues after that. I have just part exchanged it for a Nov 2011 Boc with all the optional extras and only 1400 miles on clock. This car continues to tick all the boxes for me. Had my eye on something else, but turned out to be more expensive than I was prepared to pay. I would say go for it.

Pander

Jan 22, 2010
Corby.
www.facebook.com
I can say I'm in the exact same boat as cupratimmy, got the same sort of budget, same mentality about cars as in being very mechanicly sympathetic to them and all this about piston rings is seriously putting me off anything with this engine.

Cupratimmy

Apr 11, 2010
Farnborough, Hampshire
I think I'm still go ahead and try and get one like with every car there is flaws no car is perfect. My insurance company are finnaly paying out to so within the next couple of weeks you might see a new cupra owner provided everything goes through on the paper work side of things. I'm going to try and pick one up in speed blue or white and prefferly with warranty on it.

Pander

Jan 22, 2010
Corby.
www.facebook.com
I went to look at one in the flesh today and don't think I'll be able to resist its charms. What gets me is why does it cost more to insure a Bocanegra than a Cupra ? And yeah, the warranty side of it is a thing I'll definatly be looking for.