Slow sticking wiper Problemo's

chriso_tdi

Well, recently my wipers have started to be slow and judder across the screen. Tried washing the screen and the wipers (even changed them) but the problem is still around.

The problem seems to get better,eventually, when its raining hard (thankfully) but goes back to being slow when using the washers or in light/fine rain!!!

Any ideas whats going on peeps, is it the motor, connection??

cheers chriso

Stubill

Swine Bird !
Aug 13, 2002
The New Forest
Visit site
Sounds familiar !

Had the same symptoms on my V5 a while back.
Problem was the wiper linkage - it had completely siezed.

If yours is the same issue - you will need to replace the wiper linkage base unit before they stop moving at all - which believe me is f'in dangerous when it starts raining on the motorway. It's basically the bit that converts the motor shaft spinning into the wiper movement.

Fair play to the Toledo wiper motor though - I could not physically move the linkage even by putting my whole body weight on it - but the little old motor was just about managing to move them !

JBS Sales

Hi
Yes the wiper linkage do tend to seize
It is worth replacing the linkage.
They do tend not to be that expensive either.
Could be worth checking the motor out too.
If this problem persits it will do the motor in too.
Sarah

chriso_tdi

Good stuff guys will have 2 check the wiper linkage and motor out

Dont wana be driving around with salted roads and no effective waher/wipers to often, coud be dodgy!!

Thanx for your help

chriso

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
I reckon it will be a seized spindle. This happened on mine a few months ago. If you undo the wiper bolts and remove the wipers and then undo the pollen filter screws the plastic cover does come off with a bit of pulling and tugging. For memory the motor is held in place by one bolt a clip. Fairly simple to work out once you see it though. If you take the motor out and then remove the ci-clips (be careful not to lose them - they will fly off) and push/knock the spindle through and give it a good lub up with som WD40 or similar. Check the motion and if ok, replace. Takes about an hour or so depending on how stiff the spindle is. I had to put mine in a vice and take a mallet to it!!! They work a treat now. I just put a bit WD40 down the spindle every other month or so. Anyways, good luck.

Plootsnot

I reckon it will be a seized spindle. This happened on mine a few months ago. If you undo the wiper bolts and remove the wipers and then undo the pollen filter screws the plastic cover does come off with a bit of pulling and tugging. For memory the motor is held in place by one bolt a clip. Fairly simple to work out once you see it though. If you take the motor out and then remove the ci-clips (be careful not to lose them - they will fly off) and push/knock the spindle through and give it a good lub up with som WD40 or similar. Check the motion and if ok, replace. Takes about an hour or so depending on how stiff the spindle is. I had to put mine in a vice and take a mallet to it!!! They work a treat now. I just put a bit WD40 down the spindle every other month or so. Anyways, good luck.

Great fix for a 2001 Toledo, took about 2 hours in freezing January weather...if only I had paid attention to my wifes bitching back in sept... used plain'ol axl grease though, wd40 tends to dry out quickly.

Thanks to Thev5!

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
I recently had to change my complete wiper mechanism due to them stopping working at 70mph in the rain! I found it easier to change the wiper and linkage as it was the gears in the motor that had gone. The hardest part of the job was removing the wiper arms as they tend to be very stuff to remove.

If i were you i would oil the mechanism up, sooner rather than later. I had only just bought my car so wasn't aware of the wiper problem when mine died. I would have checked it a lot sooner if i had known!

Haggistech

Aug 12, 2008
this happened to me at 70 mph overtaking a lorry in the pouring rain

wipers just stopped moving

had to stick my head out the window till i got past the lorry and move back into the hard shoulder lol

was not fun

the clown that had the car before me had replaced window wiper motor but not freed off the linkage

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.