Smell of damp

Solberg04

Hi

Has anyone come across a smell of damp when they first tern their air con/ climate control off? This only lasts less than a minuet but its still rather annoying.

I have read after doing a Google search that it can be caused by bacteria build up in the vents but this was a merc forum. Is this true and am I going to grow another head if I keep breathing it in?????? believe me I could not stand talking to my self….

Any ideas and remedies or is it a back to the dealer issue?

p.s. I have a Seat Leon Cupra on a 53 plate.

Thanks

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Had mine done at the dealers when it was in for a service.

I think it was about £20. Proberbly cheaper to do it yourself but easier to get someone to do it for you.

I think that you put the air-con on recirulate then set the aerosol off, close all the doors & windows and leave it running for 30 mins.*

Makes the car smell nice whatever it is:D

*This could all be complete nonsense.

Tadger

Who wants to live forever
Jul 23, 2001
Undetermined
Visit site
Another method to try which has worked for me is to set the temp to max (HI) for about 10 mins - of course in this weather you'll have to drive with the windows open and the vents pointed towards the windows...

Like I said, works for me (and a few others I've told) and its cheaper than a spray from halfords...

super cupra R

Diesel Power
Apr 23, 2006
Hampshire
Ive tried the spray from halfords when i had my old Leon as when the air con was turned off there was a strong smell of what can only be described as stail urine, any way the spray worked but soaked the back seat and carpet as it was running out.

Solberg04

Thanks

Thanks one and all.

i did try the heater on full idea but all i got was a head ache as it was a hot day and i tried doing it while driving. Clever me!

Ill be off down to Halfords at the weekend then to buy some of this spray! Any idea what its called?

Because last time i went into Hlafords and asked for "quick clay" described it and its use and the Numpty tried to sell me rubbing compound. So if i ask for a spray to cure a damp smell form my air con, ill probably come out with a roof rack a set of wheel trims and a bumper sticker saying RSPB.

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
just open all the windows put the heating on flat out and through all the vents and go for a 30 min drive that will cure it for sure, mine done it last year and done it a couple of weeks ago, just damp building up in the air ducts cos you havent got the heating on try it it will work!

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Surely the smell is bacteria, thinking of bacteria and air conditioning units is nobody that's putting their heating on full and breathing in the fumes wondering what they are breathing in.........I may be barking up the wrong tree but anybody know if there is a danger from legionnaires disease etc :shrug:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Answering my own question...........isn't google great

Where doLegionella bacteria come from?

The Legionella bacteria are found naturally in the environment, usually in water. The bacteria grow best in warm water, like the kind found in hot tubs, cooling towers, hot water tanks, large plumbing systems, or parts of the air-conditioning systems of large buildings. They do not seem to grow in car or window air-conditioners.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/legionellosis_g.htm

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.