Soft paint???

Rikwaite

Hi guys

Is anybody noticing stone chips and minor scratches easily appearing on their car. I know hey will eventually chip and scratch but my new black Fr seems already bad. This is my 5 black car and I can't believe how easily it scratches+ chips

Cheers

Rik

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Hi guys

Is anybody noticing stone chips and minor scratches easily appearing on their car. I know hey will eventually chip and scratch but my new black Fr seems already bad. This is my 5 black car and I can't believe how easily it scratches+ chips

Cheers

Rik

this is par for the course with seat, I have a mark 2 that ive had 18 months, bonnet is a mess with lots of little white chips

by far the worst car ive owned paintwork wise, its putting me off buying another Seat for fear of the same issue with a newer car

Rikwaite

this is par for the course with seat, I have a mark 2 that ive had 18 months, bonnet is a mess with lots of little white chips

by far the worst car ive owned paintwork wise, its putting me off buying another Seat for fear of the same issue with a newer carQUOTE]

I had the same conversation with my friend he has a new bmw 1 series he has the same problem. Apparently it's the new paint on all new cars is softer due to environmental issues. Not allowed to use cellulose based paints etc
That's prob chips away etc r doing good business

mryanski

Leon FR no 3, must be good cars then :)
Aug 13, 2013
Castle Douglas
Yep, i had an 8th gen Honda Civic and they are plagued with issues of soft paintwork, the new water based paints are useless :(

weatherlight

I also noticed that it is kind of hard to remove dirt. I did not want to rub much with the sponge, but most of the dirt is persistent. I apllied a wax coat, hope it will help.

Jun 15, 2013
water based paints now, all to do wit the carbon footprint regulations

Its been all water based paints since the early 90's.

Thank god they don't paint them like they did in the 80's and earlier decades.

As far as I am concerned cars are way better painted than they were, long may it continue.

My Leon looks fine, very happy.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Yep, all cars these days are as bad as each other for chips etc. You do, of course, notice it more when it's brand new. Sadly they don't stay that way for long... Road surface dressings in summer, gritters in winter... etc.

@ Weatherlight - Yours is white, right? If so, a clay bar might help shift the stuck-on stuff (I would be a bit worried about using clay bars on dark colours as they can leave swirl marks unless you are very careful, white should be OK though as it's good at hiding those - wash it first, then clay it, then wash it again, then wax / seal it - at least that's what I have done in the past with decent results).

Don't do it every week though!! (once every few months is more than enough, twice a year should do).

mk2 cupra r

Aug 14, 2013
Northern Ireland Portglenone
Hi guys

Cheers

Rik

im not sure but I think the recent warm weather could have a big part to play in this aswell.
if my memory serves me right when the paint work is warm the paint is slightly softer and chips more easy than if it was cooler

weatherlight

Yeah, I'm thinking about twice a year as well. Wax got rid of most of the residues in the front bumper. However I still have some little marks at the hood and one barely noticable (thank you white) bird dirt at roof. I'm planning to place a 2nd coat next week just in case, I will try the clay bar.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I have been carrying out an experiment with an analysis of different polishes and then an actual trial of 3 types on different body panels of a Titanium silver BMW (1 year old) in anticipation of the arrival of an ice silver Leon.
I chose to use 3 waxes/ based on reviews and price.
The "undercoat" is A Glaze which was applied "free" by the dealer. I applied a second coat. It's OK but like so many find with the multitude of variants on this theme that it's OK but not worth £399 or less. As I told the dealer when they inquired about selling me Diamondbrite: for free or £50, OK but not at £399 nor at the "as low as I can go" discounted price of £200.
So I settled on Turtle Wax Platinum Series Protective Extra Gloss, Collinite No 476S and Autoglym High Definition Wax for the physical trials.
I divided up the panels and applied the product.
Test results will be based on Ease of application, beading and durability as measured by beading.
I'll report back if forumites are interested. Let me know

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
Water based paints are not the problem, that's simply the basecoat.

Water base replaced solvent base reducing the voc content by about 85%

The clear coat is still solvent 2k just like its been for years, all be it in a reduced voc form

But manufactures are niche and as such can still use solvent based products through out the range on there cars, it's rectification side like us who have to adhere to water based systems,

Paint will only chip if something hits it, so don't drive up people's arses and you'll be fine :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.