SOS fail error and satnav down

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
How does the Curpra communicate ? Is it via mobile network?

I had an SOS error flag up and noticed the Help/SOS button led was off. The sat nav started giving wrong directions and guess the gps was also lost.
Tried to reset the infotainment and the system appeared to lose my profile and did not come back up even after ignition off on.
Went for coffee at services and all appeared to work after 20 min switch off.
Anyone have idea of what the fail was?

Tell

Staff member
Afraid that's the ongoing problem with mib3. Seat seem to be getting on top of it slowly. It depends which firmware release your mib3 is on whether the dealer has the instructions to sort out. The telematics unit causes the pops and that's been an issue for a couple of years across all VAG brands with moaning in the press etc. The car going off map both in its built in navigation system and using adjunct car play and AA is reported.

The 1896 firmware and a telematic fix is the key to sorting it out but dealers instructions on rolling it out is holding it back for some customers. Key post here:

Although a Formentor post suspect it applies to you. Three hour plus workshop time is required. Lucky ones are the ones with the early firmware release others have to wait.

The 20 minute switch off is the time for most systems to power down so that's how you got the reset. The long hold on the on / off button on the mib units causes a reboot to that but not to the other systems it communicates with. The off map stuff comes up in posts I've assumed that is a firmware thing that it's not processing the GPS information correctly, not totally stating the obvious.

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Afraid that's the ongoing problem with mib3. Seat seem to be getting on top of it slowly. It depends which firmware release your mib3 is on whether the dealer has the instructions to sort out. The telematics unit causes the pops and that's been an issue for a couple of years across all VAG brands with moaning in the press etc. The car going off map both in its built in navigation system and using adjunct car play and AA is reported.

The 1896 firmware and a telematic fix is the key to sorting it out but dealers instructions on rolling it out is holding it back for some customers. Key post here:

Although a Formentor post suspect it applies to you. Three hour plus workshop time is required. Lucky ones are the ones with the early firmware release others have to wait.

The 20 minute switch off is the time for most systems to power down so that's how you got the reset. The long hold on the on / off button on the mib units causes a reboot to that but not to the other systems it communicates with. The off map stuff comes up in posts I've assumed that is a firmware thing that it's not processing the GPS information correctly, not totally stating the obvious.
Tell
My thought on the situation was that the telematics failed due to a software glitch./ SIM mobile down. I did not hear any pops but the SOS error was the first issue and noticed the SOS was not lit up at buttons. Maybe should not have tried a reset of infotainment as that took out radio and system sat in limbo trying to download profile. As you say the switch off time is minutes rather just usual 10 second reset.

I had update in March so assume the latest Mib3. I there a patch for the fault being released?
Not sure if my OBD will read any fault codes or if I will understand them !!

Car will have to go in for this recall for engine cover so will have dealer look at issue..

Tell

Staff member
Tell
My thought on the situation was that the telematics failed due to a software glitch./ SIM mobile down. I did not hear any pops but the SOS error was the first issue and noticed the SOS was not lit up at buttons. Maybe should not have tried a reset of infotainment as that took out radio and system sat in limbo trying to download profile. As you say the switch off time is minutes rather just usual 10 second reset.

I had update in March so assume the latest Mib3. I there a patch for the fault being released?
Not sure if my OBD will read any fault codes or if I will understand them !!

Car will have to go in for this recall for engine cover so will have dealer look at issue..
You might want to tell them about the issue. There might be a TPI to apply. You might not get the telematics one if you don't ask.

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
You might want to tell them about the issue. There might be a TPI to apply. You might not get the telematics one if you don't ask.
Spoke to dealer and the usual reply is bring car in for diagnostic check. Having read up a bit more it appears that this has been going on for a year at least so why not say there os an ongoing issue and there is a fix?
Where can I find the firmware number to check my release?

Tell

Staff member
Spoke to dealer and the usual reply is bring car in for diagnostic check. Having read up a bit more it appears that this has been going on for a year at least so why not say there os an ongoing issue and there is a fix?
Where can I find the firmware number to check my release?
You could PM your vin number to @East Yorkshire Retrofits and ask them to look it up using your charm. Your mib3 firmware number is useful but perhaps the build week which the Vin gives.

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
You could PM your vin number to @East Yorkshire Retrofits and ask them to look it up using your charm. Your mib3 firmware number is useful but perhaps the build week which the Vin gives.
What is TPI that you mentioned?
I checked and software is 0804 which I assume is 1804 so 1896
I checked and software is 0804 which I assume is 1804 so 1896 would be next update. Does that fix the telematic error though?

Tell

Staff member
I checked and software is 0804 which I assume is 1804 so 1896

I checked and software is 0804 which I assume is 1804 so 1896 would be next update. Does that fix the telematic error though?
TPIs are the internal upgrade documents that the dealers have. Tells them what to do. Technical Problem Information (TPI). You are suppose to be able to access them yourself via Erwin the paid Vag information publication service. Dealers obvious have access to this. When they say there is a software update for the car it's flagged up as a TPI based on the VIN.

Second person that has mentioned 0804 recently, the last was a face lifted Arona. That's different to 1804, 1896 etc. Those are the Leon 4 / Formentor ones. Like the Arona your Ateca Cupra is on the old platform so might have something to do with that....

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
TPIs are the internal upgrade documents that the dealers have. Tells them what to do. Technical Problem Information (TPI). You are suppose to be able to access them yourself via Erwin the paid Vag information publication service. Dealers obvious have access to this. When they say there is a software update for the car it's flagged up as a TPI based on the VIN.

Second person that has mentioned 0804 recently, the last was a face lifted Arona. That's different to 1804, 1896 etc. Those are the Leon 4 / Formentor ones. Like the Arona your Ateca Cupra is on the old platform so might have something to do with that....
Thanks for info as always,
Am I correct in thinking that there is no software release to fix the SOS error?
Have read loads of forum content now and noted a few comments on possible esim / telematics being confused by 5g signals or in one case in USA in a know no mobile area. Thinking being that the software recognises the signal issue but does not quickly reset when signal is ok.
I wondered if that related to my fault as it occurred when passing through road works on Manchester M6

Will now ask for more info from dealer workshop.

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for info as always,
Am I correct in thinking that there is no software release to fix the SOS error?
Have read loads of forum content now and noted a few comments on possible esim / telematics being confused by 5g signals or in one case in USA in a know no mobile area. Thinking being that the software recognises the signal issue but does not quickly reset when signal is ok.
I wondered if that related to my fault as it occurred when passing through road works on Manchester M6

Will now ask for more info from dealer workshop.
There is now a fix for the telematic software least for the Formentor. That's being rolled out based on TPIs but apparently so I have read you can jump the queue if the dealer is willing to do it or wait your turn assuming the dealer looks for the update. No harm in telling them what happened and seek a solution.

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
There is now a fix for the telematic software least for the Formentor. That's being rolled out based on TPIs but apparently so I have read you can jump the queue if the dealer is willing to do it or wait your turn assuming the dealer looks for the update. No harm in telling them what happened and seek a solution.
Will have a conversation when book car in for the engine cover recall.
Thanks again for info

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Will have a conversation when book car in for the engine cover recall.
Thanks again for info
Car booked in next week. Had good with workshop manager who has not had many SOS faults. I wonder if geographical depending on mobile masts as been dring around Central Scotland no issues till turning onto M6 at Manchester.
Manger needs to check as my update in March might have been before a later release on the day!!
1896 issue not for my VIN. He is checking for patches beforehand.
Can live with fault as appears that a push on SOS button is easy workaround. Certainly not wanting hardware replaced as fault codes are red herring by looks of it if ethernet bus down.

Reactions: Tell

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
SOS error update. Havng only had one error over the first two years of ownership I have now had 3 errors in las week. Could not tie it down to area / signal issue. Did the reset hitting the SOS button and that seemed to fix it.
Wonder if any updates have been issued from VW.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
SOS error update. Havng only had one error over the first two years of ownership I have now had 3 errors in las week. Could not tie it down to area / signal issue. Did the reset hitting the SOS button and that seemed to fix it.
Wonder if any updates have been issued from VW.
You probably have to report it to your dealer and ask for the telematic update. I see they are sorting out the Leon 4 and Formentor issues with it, but I suspect that some dealers won't do the update if you don't ask. Opting for the quite life.

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Thanks Tell
Will ask the question again. There was no specific update when in for service back in March. Dealer workshop manager was aware last time but there was no patch update released

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Thanks Tell
Will ask the question again. There was no specific update when in for service back in March. Dealer workshop manager was aware last time but there was no patch update released
Might be tempting fate but since the last service / software update the car has been ol. The SOS, mobile not staying paired and map only no icons has been fixed.