Sound system not loud enough

Volt

May 2, 2021
One for the sound experts…

Ok first of all, I’m 40 and married with 2 kids so don’t get me wrong. I don’t want some mega sound system which wakes the neighbours in the next town and I’m in no way an expert or even have much knowledge of car sound systems, however, I do like my music and I like it loud when driving out of town.

My Mk3 Cupra has the pretty standard sound system as far as I know. The max volume is nowhere near some previous cars I’ve owned, although I had an Audi which was comparable to the sound coming out of this, not great.

As I say I’m no expert and I don’t want to do any major modifications. Is there anything I can do or anything I can get which is easy to do to get more noise out of my existing system?

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
My cupra system is banging and thats coming from a1 Black edition with bose, you can always go for the seat sound retrofit which adds a sub and a center dash speaker, or you can get an amp that takes a feed from the rear door speakers and add some oldschool 6x9 in the parcel shelf from one channel and a sub on the other and really get it rocking lol

Volt

May 2, 2021
Get Seat Sound installed.

I had it in my Mk3 Cupra and it’s way better than standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok sounds like a plan. Questions though…

Is this a DIY type fit? Sounds a bit complicated and remember I have no knowledge or experience of wiring new stuff into a car. Scary stuff for me! 😂

and

Does it count as a modification on insurance?

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I agree the volume on the standard system is pretty weak. Especially if your source material is from SD card USB or CD. . But if you switch to Bluetooth and have all your source from there, including radio apps, then the volume is so much better.

Also in the media settings you can select a kinda preg-gain if you like, in the form of low, medium, high. This really boosts bluetooth volume.

On top off that I play my mp3 using Poweramp app and that has a built in pre-gain feature, which I don't need. Left on zero as its way loud enough with the head units pre-gain.

Reactions: Volt

Volt

May 2, 2021
I think I’ve sorted it. I didn’t look hard enough in the sound settings! There are volume settings I didn’t look at before.

There is an Aux volume and Bluetooth volume. They were both set to Quiet so I’ve changed them to Loud. Hopefully Aux includes Apple CarPlay so I’ll get decent volume from that.

I’ll be going out later so will hopefully hear the difference!

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Ok sounds like a plan. Questions though…

Is this a DIY type fit? Sounds a bit complicated and remember I have no knowledge or experience of wiring new stuff into a car. Scary stuff for me!

and

Does it count as a modification on insurance?

The company can do a full fit for you and it’s integrated into the car systems so it is fitted as if from factory.

Probably classed as a mod but seeing as its not an engine power increase I can’t see it adding much to insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Although you've got it sorted I'd say sound deadening would be the first port of call.
Easy to do and not that expensive depending on how much of the car you do.
Get rid of the rattles and external noises that would drown out music and you would be able to hear the system a lot better and clearer, it makes a lot of difference.

After that would then look into better speakers/seat sound/amplifiers etc if it's still not enough.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
After that would then look into better speakers/seat sound/amplifiers etc if it's still not enough.
Can you fit better speakers to the standard set up? I think it sounds a bit crap but I don't want to go the lengths of fitting the Seat Sound System.

Volt

May 2, 2021
Having turned the Bluetooth volume setting to loud, it’s mental loud! Plenty scope for whatever volume I want so that’s ideal!

I think the standard system is sufficient, unless you want to wake the village of course!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Having turned the Bluetooth volume setting to loud, it’s mental loud! Plenty scope for whatever volume I want so that’s ideal!

I think the standard system is sufficient, unless you want to wake the village of course!
Glad you sorted - was going to say I personally find the standard system perfectly good & plenty loud enough for my 40 year old ears, the misses and two kids, as the days of booming down the road are behind me haha. If I was to go for any improvements first would be sound insulation in the doors.

Reactions: Volt

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Can you fit better speakers to the standard set up? I think it sounds a bit crap but I don't want to go the lengths of fitting the Seat Sound System.
Yeah you can get something like this which looks like it's 2 Focal kits they've put together which should drop straight in front and rear.
http://www.car-hifi-radio-adapter.e...5f-st-car-speakers-focal-upgrade-kit-fro.html

Although you could fit most speakers in the correct size or with adapters as long as they don't foul the windows.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Yeah you can get something like this which looks like it's 2 Focal kits they've put together which should drop straight in front and rear.
It's a lot of money when you don't even know if they're better than the stock items? I remember buying aftermarket speakers for a car years ago, and they were worse!

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
It's a lot of money when you don't even know if they're better than the stock items? I remember buying aftermarket speakers for a car years ago, and they were worse!
Granted they are but decent component sets go for about £150 up, also ours are 8 inch up front so less common size.
The above link you get rear component sets as well.

In my experience when I've changed out speakers they have always outperformed stock due to the better materials used and sound even better once amped and sound deadened.
I've always gone for higher end brands previously and having a listen with them.

There are other brands and sets out there for less and always better if you can listen before you buy but it's not a possibility with the current situation.

Tbh I don't think our standard audio is too bad and not enough for me to change them out but options are available if you do want to.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.