Soundaktor

Sep 8, 2022
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but thought better than to make another. I too don't love the soundaktor, so have been poking around the wiring diagram, as I found some info on the Golf R Mk8, whereby soundaktor can be disabled by pulling a fuse and doesn't seem to affect any other systems nor throw and engine light (though error codes for the module can be pulled with VCDS or the like)

According to the wiring diagram, soundaktor is a 2 part affair (please note I'm certainly not an electronics expert!)

-One module for the synthesised engine noise J943, with 'speaker' R257
-Another for the resonant cabin vibrations "structure borne sound" J869, with speaker R214

From what I can gather, the unit that is in the engine bay is the "structure borne sound" generator. I also share some concerns other users have in regards to water ingress to an active circuit if unplugged - so I poked around and I think I've found the connector type - as I if I were to unplug it, I would prefer to "blank" the harness connector and module to prevent this. The connectors I found were R24C6 and H14C6.

That all said - the sound generator module seems to be independently fused (?like the Golf R Mk8)- but I thought I would post here to verify my suspicions. Being a shared platform, there's a chance there will be similarities.

B149 seems to show a number of junctions, but may only route to the sound generator module. This module also may have its own loudspeaker (?integrated in exhaust, in engine bay), independent of the sound system (though this may be false...). The generator module is apparently under the driver's seat (for RHD cars, passenger for LHD). What I've found doesn't quite match up what's been posted (see diagram of the modules/actuator attached below

Unfortunately, it seems the structure borne sound generator derives it's fused power from a shared source - Fuse 59 in the cabin (shared with reverse switch, clima sensor, electrochromatic mirror). The sound generator module is fused from Fuse 65 in the cabin - 'sound amplifier'. This did arouse some suspicion around the actual sound system, though that amplifier seems to be totally separate (module R184 - 'digital sound package amplifier') and independently fused (Fuse 14).

Makes me wonder, if there is still some degree of artificial sound production taking place when only the resonant module is unplugged, as it is only part of the soundaktor system as a whole, and the sound generation module doesn't seem to rely on the resonant module at all. I would assume each module uses the CANBUS signals for RPM and load.

Has anyone tried pulling a fuse to kill soundaktor in a Formentor? I have an 04/2022 build "310" (VZx in Australia), so may be different again??

Please note this is all unverified, and have used (what looks like..) multiple sources of information..

Link:

Fuse assignments
1662630609459.png

Soundaktor wiring diagram
1662630640409.png

1662630661907.png

1662630688180.png

Sound system wiring diagram

1662630851389.png

Sound generator module location
1662631812135.png

Engine sound generator actuator/structure borne sound module+actuator:
1662635186036.png

Apologies for the mental vomit!

Attachments

• 1662634934189.png
    1662634934189.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 110
Oct 6, 2022
Thanks for this Agnes, I'll be doing this ASAP on mine.

Out of interest, how does the actuator system work on the Formentor - is it proper exhaust noise piped through to the cabin via valves etc... or is it totally simulated? Presumably if there is an actuator, it is SOMEWHAT related to actual engine noise being fed through to the cabin, but it sounds so fake I can't be sure.
Agnes - a big thanks for this. Had the car since August and this silly noise has p!ssed me off! Car went into Richter sport to add a little sparkle to the excellent (but a little sanitised? there again my last car was a B8 RS4 so it was always going to be a tough one to follow) performance; they lowered her 30 mil, put their little box thingy on (+ 60 hp and torques) and a new back box BUT they couldn't get ried of the brum brum irritant. So i followed your instructions and 5 minutes later it was done. Now I have the car i want ... apart from all the interface malarky which I know you guys can help me with. To be fair I'm ready for a big button phone so perhaps I'm just a bit too old for too much tech :)

EuKiwi

Jul 7, 2021
Bavaria, Germany
I too like things under software control myself.
Plus leaving connectors exposed struck me as not being very advisable, and buying blankers to seal them a bit over the time when it can be just coded out.

Do we know if there have been any more discoveries with regard to OBDEleven with what can be tuned/turned on etc? I'd love something, ANYTHING, to liven up the exhaust sound a bit - I get the feeling the flaps open only occasionally.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Eyeballing the German Formentor coding is useful if you got the car using auto translate in Chrome:

There is a PDF in German the author updates found on the thread attached.

Question of reading that thread and finding anything new on it compared with the coding thread pinned here. I haven't got the car. The Leon 4 shares the same platform as some of the other VW and Skodas that I've named in the past, so question whether anything has been found on there not published here. The MQB Evo platform shown on the wiki list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_MQB_platform#Evo

It's a question of sniffing out coding on those platforms for anything of use.

Attachments

• 211021-cupra-formentor-coding (1).pdf
    491.4 KB · Views: 118