Space saver plus tyre pressure monitor

markie23

May 26, 2017
Hi

Car is 18 plate 184fr 5 door

1. have read load's of these thread's.
Still a bit confused on what space saver I need .
So car came with 18 alloys but planing to fit the 17 inch alloy wheels to try and improve ride quality. Also want to be able to switch back to 18's in the future
Which space saver should I get?

2. Second question is regarding the tyre pressure monitor. I understand that the monitor is fitted to the tyre valve?
Will my second hand 17 OEM alloys have any issues when I fit them? Assume they all have the Tyre pressure sensor?
17 inch Wheel Info
Part number is 5F0601025T
7J X 17 H2
ET49

Thank you in advance of your replies

Mark

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
The sensor isn't (as far as I am aware) connected to the valve in most cars. It works by measuring wheel speed, if that changes due to a flat tyre it sends a warning. Its not actually measuring tyre pressure per se so you an fit any wheels you like all you need to do is reset the system when you change the wheels.

In terms of the first point I can't help.

markie23

May 26, 2017
The sensor isn't (as far as I am aware) connected to the valve in most cars. It works by measuring wheel speed, if that changes due to a flat tyre it sends a warning. Its not actually measuring tyre pressure per se so you an fit any wheels you like all you need to do is reset the system when you change the wheels.

In terms of the first point I can't help.
Oh ok cool.
Shouldn't be an issue with swapping the wheels over then. V
Thank you for info

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi

Car is 18 plate 184fr 5 door

1. have read load's of these thread's.
Still a bit confused on what space saver I need .
So car came with 18 alloys but planing to fit the 17 inch alloy wheels to try and improve ride quality. Also want to be able to switch back to 18's in the future
Which space saver should I get?

My understanding of the space saver is that the normal one is 16", however if you had Seat Sound (or a Cupra) you'd get an 18" space saver for the subwoofer or to clear the larger brakes (talking the normal 340mm ones not the 4 pot 370mm).

2. Second question is regarding the tyre pressure monitor. I understand that the monitor is fitted to the tyre valve?
Will my second hand 17 OEM alloys have any issues when I fit them? Assume they all have the Tyre pressure sensor?
17 inch Wheel Info
Part number is 5F0601025T
7J X 17 H2
ET49

Thank you in advance of your replies

Mark

As @Sharpy said, the Leon uses the ABS sensors to monitor the wheel revolutions to determine whether a tyre has sudden drop in pressure. There are no TPMS sensors fitted to the Leon unless you've retrofitted them from more expensive VAG cars.

markie23

May 26, 2017

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Cool thank you for info.
Will go looking on eBay.
Is their a genuine parts number?
Probably afew as its more than one piece.

I bought the full pack from RPS (Think they're on here as a site sponsor under Listers) which included the correct replacement polystyrene, jack, wheel brace etc.Think it was £200

However I also modified it so fit my torque wrench.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
The 18" space saver has a 125/70 tyre and the 17" has a 125/80 tyre. Both have an overall diameter within 1% of a 225/40-18 and 225/45-17 tyre. So either space saver is fine.
Also either alloy+tyre will fit in the wheel well but raise the carpet.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
The 18" space saver has a 125/70 tyre and the 17" has a 125/80 tyre. Both have an overall diameter within 1% of a 225/40-18 and 225/45-17 tyre. So either space saver is fine.
Also either alloy+tyre will fit in the wheel well but raise the carpet.
My 16" space saver is 125/70R16!

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
There are no TPMS sensors fitted to the Leon unless you've retrofitted them from more expensive VAG cars.

Is this so? My Leon says it has them and on certain alloy sites it says my car has them when i enter my reg. Is this fake news? lol

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Is this so? My Leon says it has them and on certain alloy sites it says my car has them when i enter my reg. Is this fake news? lol
TPMS sensors on the wheels would display the individual tyres actual PSI if you had them fitted. Seen them retrofitted on the Spanish forums, with a VCDS coding. but they're not officially fitted in anyway by Seat.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
TPMS sensors on the wheels would display the individual tyres actual PSI if you had them fitted. Seen them retrofitted on the Spanish forums, with a VCDS coding. but they're not officially fitted in anyway by Seat.

So what is the benefit of retrofitting them then?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Maybe some countries demand that form of TPMS, I've noticed at least in the Audi parts listing, that there are TPMS listed, but even there they are only an option for some sales areas, UK sold Audis do not have TPMS sensors, just ABS like other VW Group cars.

Edit:- well maybe RS models have them or have that factory fitted option.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.