Speed Camera Detectors

grenade

Jun 22, 2014
North East
I used to use a tomtom sat nav that stored speed camera locations in it's database but since I now have sat nav in my car I fancy selling my sat nav and buying a speed camera detector instead.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
Judging by some of the comments on here about the built in sat nav it is not very good also it only has 4 digit post codes so I would keep your tom tom as I intend to do and have it set to voice to announce speed cameras

BigfatPaulie

Sep 18, 2013
Nottingham
Your Tomtom would do that.... or your mobile phone ?

Im surprised there isnt a POI file that the car can read...

Last edited:

grenade

Jun 22, 2014
North East
Your Tomtom would do that.... or your mobile phone ?

Im surprised there isnt a POI file that the car can read...

Yeah, years out of date and my computer doesn't have enough memory to download the update. Just been lazy really want to sell mine and get just a gps thing for just the cameras, no screen just the odd beep every now and again. Then can have it just in the arm rest or something not on show and don't have to worry about it being nicked

Last edited:

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
I use CamSam speed camera alerts on my phone (Android). All it does is alert for camera's and its free.

Last edited:

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
I have a snooper s2, had it 10 years now lol works on gps and a laser sensor which would be useless as stated above but the gps for stationary cameras is a life saver. Never had a single point on my licence :D just plug it into the pc for updates.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Judging by some of the comments on here about the built in sat nav it is not very good also it only has 4 digit post codes so I would keep your tom tom as I intend to do and have it set to voice to announce speed cameras

The sat nav on my 280, takes full postcodes, I use it all the time, and have never had any probs with it. My only complaint is that because it is for all the EU countries, there are no cam locations on it, as it is illegal in France, Spain etc I believe.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
In Spain, radar detectors are illegal with very big fines. Radar locations in your satnav are legal, in fact the traffic police post their exact locations on their website!

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
The sat nav on my 280, takes full postcodes, I use it all the time, and have never had any probs with it. My only complaint is that because it is for all the EU countries, there are no cam locations on it, as it is illegal in France, Spain etc I believe.

+1 Mine takes full post codes to. So far I have had no issues with it, it has worked well.

Albie999

Sep 12, 2014
Take a look at Waze, the database of speed cams are updated by users as well, and it will alert you of a known position of a stationery and a mobile. You can update your map on the fly, to tell it that it is not there anymore

Albie999

Sep 12, 2014
Yeah sorry, should have mentioned that. Believe there is an app for android and ios. It's now owned by Google, so uses the Google maps maps ... It's pretty good

Simmo11

Jan 21, 2014
Burton on Trent
I’ve just purchased a Inforad K2 speed camera from Amazon for £29.99, which seems good value for Money.
It was easy to update & the database even includes mobile speed camera sites.
It is about the size of a large USB stick with 2 LEDs on it. I have mounted it on top of the rear view mirror & it seems to pick up satellites very easlly. It flashes & beeps when your are approaching a camera site, & beeps continuously if you are travelling too fast.
Downsides are that the battery only lasts about 4-5 hours, but it comes with a USB adaptor that you can plug into the 12v socket between the seats (I’ve changed the fuse position so that it is a constant supply even when the ignition is off).

grenade

Jun 22, 2014
North East
I’ve just purchased a Inforad K2 speed camera from Amazon for £29.99, which seems good value for Money.
It was easy to update & the database even includes mobile speed camera sites.
It is about the size of a large USB stick with 2 LEDs on it. I have mounted it on top of the rear view mirror & it seems to pick up satellites very easlly. It flashes & beeps when your are approaching a camera site, & beeps continuously if you are travelling too fast.
Downsides are that the battery only lasts about 4-5 hours, but it comes with a USB adaptor that you can plug into the 12v socket between the seats (I’ve changed the fuse position so that it is a constant supply even when the ignition is off).

Sounds good. Do you have a link for it?

grenade

Jun 22, 2014
North East
Went for a Cheetah C50. Sorted it out today. Don't want the faff of putting it on and off the dash all the time so have it plugged in and keep it under the armrest at full volume with the arm rest up 2 clicks so I can hear it better, I'm tall so have it that height anyway so all good.
Plus automatically turns on when the engine is on and turns straight off when I take the key out. No faff

43b734d99abb6bfe554ef2f051f4ef60.jpg
d34cbfb991cf3b54c695f04dcfe36dd7.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.