Starting issues, 184 diesel FR

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
I currently own a 2l 184 Leon. Was bought when I was doing 55 miles a day and even then I would have the odd issue with starting taking a few extra seconds to turn over before it kicked into life. I can prime the car twice and still not have it turn over straight away especially now it's getting colder.

Could it be the starter or is it the common issue of the engine combined with my shorter commute I now do? I'm only doing 2 miles to work and the odd long journey now. Yearly usage is about 5000 miles

I want to swap for a petrol, but funds don't currently allow. I don't want to pay out for a starter if it's not needed, is there another trick to help out starting better during the cold please? Turn off radio and heating until it starts possibly if that's drawing too much power?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
There’s a previous thread on long cranking times on the diesels. Seems like it’s a quirk with the engines. There’s a video on there too, see if yours starts like that

Reactions: zeffania

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Could be a couple of things.

glow plugs sooted up and need replacing, used to be a problem on one of my old diesels. would suggest taking one out and checking the state of the element.

Possible dual mass flywheel problem (assuming they have them but i honestly don't know), this was an issue I had on my ford. The Dm flywheel split into two and it meant my car was horrible to start in the morning. the engine would shake to hell as you were trying to start it but eventually would start. Hopefully it is no this as it was really expensive to sort.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members