Std Cupra on a Trackday

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
I was mistaken on a point Dan. I thought most of the firms in the city handed out some form of social event subsidies, I must be fortunate we still get them in the credit crunch.

RCS2K4

Aug 28, 2007
Milton Keynes
www.xrct.co.uk
Awwwww man, it looks like you guys had some fun.

My car was in no fit state to be doing that for a whole day. She's garaged atm awaiting strengthened boost/turbo and intercooler hoses from Silicon Hoses that dont keep on popping off, or expanding (Prolly running a little bit to agressive on the ol' Revo).

Still, it's not all bad as im driving a 350Z until Tuesday - Wait, I should have taken that! Unfortunatly, it would make the Cupra look a bit to slow and safety first, and we can't have that!

Should be able to go to the donnington meet that's planned for October - assuming the car can hold it's boost 9Or I have not re-mapped the stuffing out of it by then and broken something!). :whistle:

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
It was great fun. Bit scary since it was the first one, BUT, got to go out in a few of the mates cars which was nice, and took out another cupra R owner who bought down his pug track car. Was very impressed with the lack of torque steer.

Check out the photos as the weather was perfect, and the photos have come out really well.

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
The guy who took them is a friend of ours and did our group a favour with respect to the shots. He loves cars and cameras so this was a nice day out for him.

My friend was saying you had a big washout at Quorum in a big plume of dust, what happened there?

I had one where the Red ST3 (One of our group) was on my left just before the bridge. To prevent a collison situation I braked later and turned left a little too hard which meant I was not able to steer right again and washed out the RH turn onto the short straight. Only real run out of talent situation all day.

well it wasnt a wash out me and Travis the guy in the red Toyota supra were coming round the last bend pretty hard and that Ferrari had spun and was trying to turn round in our line, if i had let off i would have over steered into him and i was going to fast to turn in any more so i had to use the grass the supra done exactly the same, abit scary really but better that than t-boning the Ferrari lol, was happy with the day my mate lotus with the type r engine is a monster and that porche was very fast too but there wasn't anything i couldn't stay with in the bends that ST focus tried staying with me 3 times in the bends and each time he just under steered of the track it was getting to be abit funny :) i was surprised at how loose the cupras were on the back a couple of times following the white one (you?) i thought it was going round in circles but didnt,power wise i dont think there was anything in it down the straights against the cupras, the limited slip diff on the dc5's is awesome it will pull out of the most extreme bends with next to no torque steer you can really get the power on early,

Kvmechelen

*ricardo mayorga*
Sep 11, 2005
i've driven my cupra a few times on circuit spa francorchamps and the ring ..
original front brakes broken every time i went to track...in francorchamps i've had a lot of fading and at the end of the day the discs bended...

at the ring the front r discs where completely destroyed :cry:

now i've got ceramic spec brakes in front and ceramic pads at the back .
next week i'm going to circuit croix in france and i hope the brakes will do better then the oem spec ones..

gear changing i have also problems when the car is very hot..5th gear always difficult ..
also a clocking noise under my feet and in the steering wheel when turning very hard in short corners...

sorry for my bad english:redface:

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
well it wasnt a wash out me and Travis the guy in the red Toyota supra were coming round the last bend pretty hard and that Ferrari had spun and was trying to turn round in our line, if i had let off i would have over steered into him and i was going to fast to turn in any more so i had to use the grass the supra done exactly the same, abit scary really but better that than t-boning the Ferrari lol,

The info was given to me by a pitlane spectator so not sure what actually happened. Heard the 328 spun but again, unless you speak to people there, you have no idea what happened unless you are right there.

was happy with the day my mate lotus with the type r engine is a monster and that porche was very fast too but there wasn't anything i couldn't stay with in the bends
That Lotus was nuts, absolutely loved the speed of that thing down the straight. The porsche, I assume you are talking about the black one? He was with us.

The cars in our group were..

White K1
Yellow Cupra
Red ST3
Red Clio 2ltr
Blue Lotus
Black Lotus (toepin failure early on)
Audi A2
Porsche 964
Porsche 997
Black Scooby Wagon

The Lotus's, porsches and A2 have been on a track before, however the rest were all novices so we were all obeying the rules in the interests of being able to drive the cars home in one piece. The ST3 ran out of pads since he had AP discs and mintex 1144 pads, so they were eaten away by the end of the day :(

that ST focus tried staying with me 3 times in the bends and each time he just under steered of the track it was getting to be abit funny :)
Interestingly, he has a quaife installed on it and even I was able to keep up with him during the bends. He made no progress in it. However he did say he was only able to run 1 bar since the duratec lump "apparently" has heatsoak issues when the ambients are high. I think the ESP cut the power due to the wheel rotation deviating above a certain proportion in relation to each wheel, but I guess only Ford technical could answer that one.

i was surprised at how loose the cupras were on the back a couple of times following the white one (you?)
I was the Indian guy in the yellow one, not sure what you mean by loose on the back a few times

i thought it was going round in circles but didnt,
Again, not sure what you mean.

power wise i dont think there was anything in it down the straights against the cupras,
The thing is they were both in stock form. I was expecting to have to move over for the blue subaru, supras, teg, even the orange clio. I was very impressed it was able to keep up :) The only thing I wished was that I was able to outpace the M3 when it was on cam, however I can live with the fact it was not an immense gap at the end of the straights when we were neck and neck. I would have thought the fact I had the aircon during every run would have meant I was significantly down on power and lost a straight line level pegging / advantage to at least one.

the limited slip diff on the dc5's is awesome it will pull out of the most extreme bends with next to no torque steer you can really get the power on early,
[/QUOTE]
I started to think about the diff when you mentioned it and if the ESP on our cars can actually benefit from them round a track. Given that the ESP works on rotational movement sensors and wheel rotation ABS sensors, would it actually give me any benefit if the ESP would cut it out? I assume the DC5 comes with a diff as std so it is already coded into any ESP systems it runs?

I do not recall seeing you in my vicinity at all, did I just keep pace whilst we were on the opposite sides of the track?

All in all, it was a fun day, and I am definately hooked. It has calmed me down on the road now and the usual traffic light GP's or speed camera rolling starts no longer interest me anymore, can only be a good thing I suppose :)

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
glad to hear you enjoyed it!

I definately got the bug after my first one... two years ago.

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
The info was given to me by a pitlane spectator so not sure what actually happened. Heard the 328 spun but again, unless you speak to people there, you have no idea what happened unless you are right there.

That Lotus was nuts, absolutely loved the speed of that thing down the straight. The porsche, I assume you are talking about the black one? He was with us.

The cars in our group were..

White K1
Yellow Cupra
Red ST3
Red Clio 2ltr
Blue Lotus
Black Lotus (toepin failure early on)
Audi A2
Porsche 964
Porsche 997
Black Scooby Wagon

The Lotus's, porsches and A2 have been on a track before, however the rest were all novices so we were all obeying the rules in the interests of being able to drive the cars home in one piece. The ST3 ran out of pads since he had AP discs and mintex 1144 pads, so they were eaten away by the end of the day :(

Interestingly, he has a quaife installed on it and even I was able to keep up with him during the bends. He made no progress in it. However he did say he was only able to run 1 bar since the duratec lump "apparently" has heatsoak issues when the ambients are high. I think the ESP cut the power due to the wheel rotation deviating above a certain proportion in relation to each wheel, but I guess only Ford technical could answer that one.

I was the Indian guy in the yellow one, not sure what you mean by loose on the back a few times

Again, not sure what you mean.

The thing is they were both in stock form. I was expecting to have to move over for the blue subaru, supras, teg, even the orange clio. I was very impressed it was able to keep up :) The only thing I wished was that I was able to outpace the M3 when it was on cam, however I can live with the fact it was not an immense gap at the end of the straights when we were neck and neck. I would have thought the fact I had the aircon during every run would have meant I was significantly down on power and lost a straight line level pegging / advantage to at least one.

I started to think about the diff when you mentioned it and if the ESP on our cars can actually benefit from them round a track. Given that the ESP works on rotational movement sensors and wheel rotation ABS sensors, would it actually give me any benefit if the ESP would cut it out? I assume the DC5 comes with a diff as std so it is already coded into any ESP systems it runs?

I do not recall seeing you in my vicinity at all, did I just keep pace whilst we were on the opposite sides of the track?

All in all, it was a fun day, and I am definately hooked. It has calmed me down on the road now and the usual traffic light GP's or speed camera rolling starts no longer interest me anymore, can only be a good thing I suppose :)

hi, yeah it may have looked like a wash out but it was like i say just decided to cut a corner on the grass rather than risk hitting magnum in his 328!

the st was just as fast as me down the straights but just couldn't corner as well, im surprised though as it has a diff too,

i tried to have a play with you a couple of times but either got held up on the corners or couldn't get out of the pits behind you, i saw you behind the white leon but i was in front by a fair bit for you to notice,

when i was behind the white leon the back end was sliding about quite abit hence the word "loose"

when i say i thought it was going round in cirles, it was in jest really but i thought he was going to loose the back big time and end up spinning off, when i get chance ill upload the footage i got, you will see what i mean,

the dc5 has a limited slip diff as standard yes, but no traction control or esp of any sort, they are renowned to be the best "out of the box" handling front wheel drive car you can buy, ive had mine lowered abit , ive got an exhaust and filter too, but the rest is standard, its well ballanced through the bends and to be honest you could drive like a hooligan without too much fear of it biting back as it just grips to the road no end,

both supras where N/A not twin turbo otherwise yeah you would of had to move over i think, m3's are fast anyway they just have rubbish brakes as standard, the blue e46 m3 tried to stay with me on one session but didnt stand a chance behind me on the bends,

all in all a good day not sure if ill do another one in the dc5 i may buy another car soon, i didnt really like thrashing the living daylights out of my road car to be honest!

H8T WP

were you on the pink or yellow band session.. me and pummy were pink . get your vids pics up for us mate

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
hi, i was in the pink, the only dc5 there! you dont look in your mirrors much lol i was behind you for bout 3 laps i think, i will get them uploaded soon, :)

H8T WP

hi, i was in the pink, the only dc5 there! you dont look in your mirrors much lol i was behind you for bout 3 laps i think, i will get them uploaded soon, :)
ohh the white one? what bhp ? and i think u got past me eventually , only because my clutch pedal stuck to the ground and i lost drive goin round the last bend hehe

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
ohh the white one? what bhp ? and i think u got past me eventually , only because my clutch pedal stuck to the ground and i lost drive goin round the last bend hehe

hehe yeah only got past as i got out the bend faster, down the straights it was like for like, bhp is probably about 230 if im lucky i would say, its got dc sports manifold and hks hi-power silent exhaust system, also a AEM cold air induction kit on top of 220 bhp as standard, the thing is with the dc5's they hate any mods without a remap, so i may be able to get another 20bhp from getting it mapped, it weighs 1,180 without driver and fuel so quite light really, i had to change the exhaust for the track day as the dc sports exhaust would have failed the sound test so had to get another quick, i could notice a slight performance difference between the exhausts but nothing major,
ill let you know when ive got the footage onto the pc,

H8T WP

nice one mate :) you should of just reved it to 2 k for the noise test ! lol

get footage up ! cheeeers

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.