Steering/Suspension Components

Shabbs-1982

Feb 23, 2015
Holt, Norfolk
I'm in need of changing my inner/outer trackrods & bottom ball joint on drivers side, so im going to do both sides while im at it,

Just wondering if there was any good brands to go for or are they mostly all the same,

As for the inner trackrod can this be undone by a spanner or is the inner trackrod removal tool needed

Thanks in Advance :)

19jeff89

Oct 20, 2016
brand wise lemforder is always good they make for alot of car manufacturers as standard anyway otherwise genuine, not sure about the inner rod though on other cars ive managed it with a pipe wrench lol

Shabbs-1982

Feb 23, 2015
Holt, Norfolk
Cheers il have a look about & get a quote from SEAT
Maybe best to jack her up & check the inner rod to see for myself if its open to a spanner if not il just get the tool, £27 off the bay

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I just did ball joints and full track rod, if I had known what I now know I would have done the wishbones and arb bushes at the same time, you can get wishbones with the ball joints in a kit from ebay.
The £20 grinder I got from lidl came in very handy for the nuts that didn't want to come off, a hacksaw would have taken ages. I bought the claw spanner set from amazon (I think it was a 34mm spanner for the inner nut) or you can use the adjustable sleeve type remover if you remove the tie rod end.
I got a febi track/tie rod with the new boot for £25 and it looked better quality than the rod that came off. The tie rod end nut needs to be 45Nm/33-ft-lb and the inner tie rod 75Nm/55lb-ft.
I had to soak the inner boot in hot water to get it on and had to use a cable tie instead of the single use clamp as there wasnt enough access for the clamp tool.
Get proper 4 wheel geometry done afterwards (only front's are adjustable) as the alignment will be out.

Last edited:

Shabbs-1982

Feb 23, 2015
Holt, Norfolk
Finally got the car to my mates garage to fit the new inner/outer tracks & top mounts,
but now have more problems :(
Wishbone rear bushes are really soft when using a lever bar so i guess theses are on the way out,
After the top mounts have been fitted the cups on the top dont seem to sit right, passengers sits how it was but the drivers seems to sit flush with no gap
if i jack the drivers front wheel up & hold it at a 9-3 wheel has play & knocks on something when pushing the in at the rear, is this possibly something to do with the steering rack or this to do with the worn out wishbone mounts?
Thanks in Advance :)

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
It's hard to say really mate, The lemforder lower wishbones are availiable at eurocarparts (who have UPTO 56% off today) for about £70 each, just had to replace mine for the same reason.

Last edited:

Shabbs-1982

Feb 23, 2015
Holt, Norfolk
Had some knocking from the drivers side front shock since changing the top mounts so had the morning free so had to investigate the problem,
put the car on axle stands to have a better look to see what the other knocking sound was from the inner track rods as assumed that it could of been a faulty inner rod but once the whole front was of the ground both wheels have pretty much the same amount of play, seems like its coming from the steering area, cant see that both inner rod are faulty,
anyway of checking or knowing if its the steering rack itself?

fixed the front shock knocking as it came down to using the old top mount bearing so new one fitted & all sorted :)

Matt21

Apr 21, 2017
Kidderminster
I used the rod tool as mine was a pain in the a** (probably cause I like to make myself struggle) but it's easy enough took around an hour to do both sides with ball joints and wishbone bushes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk