Sticking rear brake

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
Hi,
Have a problem with the rear brake sticking.
It is the rear offside binding slightly it squeals a bit when I turn the steering wheel to the right and gets a bit warm. The nearside is fine.
I guess it points to a sticking caliper but could it be anything else.
The hill hold works when it wants if related. Jacked the car up had a look around the disc's and pads are ok and the wheel can be turned by hand but as above slightly binding.
The car is a 2017 TSI 1.4 150bhp done 50,000 miles.
Thanks.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You could, if you have tools, remove the calliper from its mounting bracket and clean it up along with cleaning up the pads - really to make sure that everything is free to move - including the handbrake lever, make sure that it is easily returning to almost touching the end stop on the calliper body.

Edit:- if you do that on the sticking side, also do the same for the other side.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Pull the slide pins out and make sure they're well lubed. If you're in any doubt, get them spotlessly clean and lube well but sparingly with silicon grease.

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
It's going into the garage on Friday so they can have a look and hopefully sort out.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
I've just had this problem on my wife's Octavia (exactly the same brake setup as the Leon), binding on one side. Caliper piston was seized solid. No issues with the discs themselves, so changed calipers and pads. I've also changed the handbrake cables to sort out the rough feel on the handbrake lever- only a few minutes per side, and less than £15 each, so well worth changing whilst the brakes are in bits . Difference has been truly amazing.

Crezzlin

Nov 8, 2016
I've just had this problem on my wife's Octavia (exactly the same brake setup as the Leon), binding on one side. Caliper piston was seized solid. No issues with the discs themselves, so changed calipers and pads. I've also changed the handbrake cables to sort out the rough feel on the handbrake lever- only a few minutes per side, and less than £15 each, so well worth changing whilst the brakes are in bits . Difference has been truly amazing.
Hi mate, in about to change my cable on one side but it's a MK2.. did you have to remove the center console or can you get to the rear of the handbrake from the same window for adjusting. Thanks

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
Got car back turned out to be just the pad sticking in the carrier so a clean up and bit of grease and all seems good.
Not as expensive as I thought it might be so a kind of a result.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Hi mate, in about to change my cable on one side but it's a MK2.. did you have to remove the center console or can you get to the rear of the handbrake from the same window for adjusting. Thanks
Can't 100% speak for the Mk2 Leon, but certainly on the Leon Mk3 and the Octavia the console does NOT have to come out. Just the back of the console with the vent etc needs to be removed and you can get to where the cable end goes. Just be aware that your cables will have stretched though, and it might be difficult getting the balance on the rear brakes by just changing one side. The rear brakes do not need to be stripped to get the other end of the cable off and on the caliper, just the wheel taken off. For the price of a cable, I wouldn't even think of doing just one. It's such an easy job that it's worth doing both. Again I can't say eactly how much Leon mk 2 cables are, but to give you an idea, the Octavia cables at Euro car parts are £13 each, and only a couple of quid more from the dealer.
Just a couple of things. Firstly, back the adjuster right off before trying to unhook the cables from inside the car, and secondly - before pulling the cables out from under the car, tie a length of string around the end of the old cable inside the car, and transfer this to the new cable once the old one is clear - it makes life so much easier if you can just pull that string back and locate the new cable as it feeds through the guide tube in the floor. It's a dead easy job, and the difference you'll see with two new cables is amazing. Good luck mate

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.