Stop start hesitation?

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
I've just bought a 14 plate 1.4 TSI FR (non-ACT) and it's great, but I've noticed it seems to have an annoying hesitation when re-starting after stop/start. The engine starts swiftly as I'd expect, but if I then quickly try to pull away it seems to bog down and almost stall unless I rev quite high. If I leave it a second or two after it's restarted then it's fine (but waiting a couple of seconds to pull away is less than ideal in traffic!). It doesn't do this if I pull away from normal idle... is this usual? If it is it's pretty annoying... It's quite a high miler car for its age (86K) but has FMDSH and otherwise runs superbly.

(And yeah, I know the stop/start has questionable popularity and lots of you just disable it, but given I live in a busy built up area I'd like to at least *try* to be eco friendly in traffic!)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yeah my 2.0 tdi does it too (auto) it’s a pain in the backside i turn it off most trips, i usually forget but when it tries to kill me at the 1st roundabout i come to i usually turn it off then

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Hmm - I'll see how it pans out.... I *might* get used to it... I just need to remember to give it a little more beans when pulling away. It does seem to be worse from cold, and also it *might* have improved when I changed from Eco to Normal (although that might have all been in my mind too...)

Reactions: Syphon

Tell

Staff member
Have mine turned off with VCDS as too dangerous when I lived in outer London with the many roundabout where you needed to cease the gap. Also kinder to the battery. Just reset it back one at year when it's serviced so as to keep the garage happy. Do the same on the Arona.

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I have noticed that if the engine has been turned off with Stop-Start and I twitch the steering wheel the engine fires up again even though the car is stationary !

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Steering wheel doesn't affect mine... I've actually found that SS works well in the summer when the engine has warmed up, but trying to use it when the engine is cold is a bit dodgy...

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
I have noticed that if the engine has been turned off with Stop-Start and I twitch the steering wheel the engine fires up again even though the car is stationary !
Yeh mine does that, i tend to watch the other set of lights to see when they are turning red and restart by moving the wheel a little bit.

To be honest my gripe is that it stops the engine sometimes when you are still rolling forward like when approaching a roundabout. I have now just got used to dropping the dsg into sport at practically every junction to prevent this.

In my old mazda however the SS used to be disabled by holding the clutch down. Is it the same in the manual leons?

Tell

Staff member
To be honest my gripe is that it stops the engine sometimes when you are still rolling forward like when approaching a roundabout. I have now just got used to dropping the dsg into sport at practically every junction to prevent this.

I seem to recall that when it does that it makes the steering heavy... this is a VAG feature of SS. Always been like that across the brand. I disable mine using the voltage trick and VCDS / Obdeleven.. .. least when you go electric it will be a thing of the past.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
In my old mazda however the SS used to be disabled by holding the clutch down. Is it the same in the manual leons?
Yes, hold the clutch down each stop to defer Stop Start from initiating or click the button on the dash to turn off for the entire journey.

Tell

Staff member
But then you forget... can't teach an old dog new tricks so defeat it with battery voltage set to 12 volts. Fundamentally dangerous with a DSG if you forget to defeat it, so keep it defeated between services, change back again after service. I'd be running a check on errors before service in any case.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members