Stuttering leon 20VT

russT

Jan 9, 2005
have you tried cleaning the throttle body? take it off, and give it a good polish with carb cleaner.

i didi this at the weekend, and the difference made was fantastic.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i have had the car 7months, and the dealer did this when i complained after about 2 month of owning the car. did make a slight difference. I am not worried too much as my car seems to be fine, just idle is a little wobbly.
I shall see how things go, try the tba via vag-com before my car goes in for some bits this weekend, and then go from there.

QMA

I bet the garage did a quicky and didnt take the throttle body off to clean it right

buttefields

engine stutter and bad starting

i'm a newbee so forgive me if i'm wrong. I had a stutter on my cupra the it got worse, i started getting problems with starting. i took it to a local garage they plugged it into a snapon diagnostic machine ind it told them the temerature senser was faulty, the changed it and made sure it was calibrated. now i have no stutters or bad starting. hope this will help someone.

PI

Reflex_Cupra

this may not be the same problem, but i changed the cam belt on my leon cupra yesturday and since then it has had the same problem you descride, hestition in first and second at low speed, im worried ive got the cam belt a tooth out and that causing it? or do you think its just a coinsidence and i have the same problem as you?

if it was the cam belt a tooth out how would it run??

russT

Jan 9, 2005
it wouldnt run. it would just snap valves off (i think).

mine did also just start after a cambelt change though (1 month after).

Reflex_Cupra

so just to confirm, has anybody actually done anything for certain that fixes this problem?

mines only been doing it for 2 days and its driving me mad! it must be related to me doing the cambelt and every thing you have to unplug to do it!

i had to remove the expantion tank, carbon canister, intercooler pipe work and various pipes around the cambelt side of the engine. could any of this of "confused" the ecu?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
not me, but am eagerly awaiting said response!
When i find out what it is, i am gonna get it done on mine too!

renton72

Mar 2, 2005
Ive had my leon cupra for about 3 months and have had the stuttering in low revs in 1st and second gear. Took it to Parkstone in Leigh and they changed all the coil packs which i didnt think would cure the problem, but it got better for a few days.

Im presuming they carried out a tbr and that why it premeturely seemed to improve.

Incidentally, my car had the cam belt changed prior to me buying it so i cant say whether it happened before, but its interesting to see this may appear after a cambelt change.

The Seat dealer say there is no fault codes so all is fine. Its so annoying!

Thought id share my experience.

Chris :(

fishpie

My car is doing the same thing and the stealer (i like that) says no probs here mate. Has anyone tried the throttle body alignment and did it work?

mr. Hedgehog

Has gone to the Darkside
Nov 1, 2004
Malvern
There is a lot of mystery surrounding the fabled throttlebody alignment, how to go about it, and its results - have a search...

My problem was finally solved by a letter of complaint to Seat, a lot of phone calls, and then a new turbo!

Usual culprits for this sort of crap performance from what i know (which is limited!) are:

N75 boost control valve
Actuator or wastegate
MAF
boost/air leak (mine was intercooler pipe)

Some say Coils - Seat also replaced these in their inept quest to cure my car.

I had 4 MAFs before they gave up on that 'cure all' :rolleyes:

Your best bet is keep complaining until Seat act, if out of warrenty, i'd take the car to JBS or somewhere which employs people who know about the car!

Good luck.

fishpie

STEVEO@CYMRU said:
local tuneing garage cleaned my throttle body and removed a fault code and now my car is running the best it has since ive had it result :D

Let me know if its the same in a week or so..

MikeyH

Petrolhead
Dec 15, 2003
Derby
Visit site
I get this, but I found the way to get rid of the hesitation on mine is to turn the traction control off. Think it must be that it's getting a little over-enthusiastic. Worth a go anyway.

Deleted member 10725

This is what is happening to me, but sadly no real solutions are found...
I have a tdi 115 and this happens to me randomly, sometime having the key in the on Position Helps , but keeps returning to the old slugish driving.
After the 2000rpm mark all seams fine.
Maybe i need throtle cleanning , my car doesnt do any smoke maybe its keeping all the smoke inside..
Can all of you that have solved their problem post here what the solution was ?

Thanks in advance

russT

Jan 9, 2005
BORA-PC said:
This is what is happening to me, but sadly no real solutions are found...
I have a tdi 115 and this happens to me randomly, sometime having the key in the on Position Helps , but keeps returning to the old slugish driving.
After the 2000rpm mark all seams fine.
Maybe i need throtle cleanning , my car doesnt do any smoke maybe its keeping all the smoke inside..
Can all of you that have solved their problem post here what the solution was ?

Thanks in advance

i had this.

cleaned the throttle body.

worked a treat (20VT).

Eternal Rage

Scooby & Cordy Powered
Mar 22, 2005
Manchester
Can i ask how hard is it to clean the throttle bodies. I am not too knowledgeable in the greasy bits. I know where they are and how to get to them, but how would you go about cleaning them? Cheers.

As for my stuttering, i have had two new MAF's. The first time is solved about 80% of the stuttering, the second time made no difference. I have been tolf the N75 valve my be the problem now.... but i am open to trying the throttle bodies cleaning route...

...not sure about mileage linked thing. Mine has done about 38k and was stuttering loads but the Mrs identical car has done over 55k and is as soomth as the day it rolled out the factory, proper nice drive...

Deleted member 10725

russT said:
i had this.

cleaned the throttle body.

worked a treat (20VT).

I conected vag com to my car :

Coolant temperature sensor - short / ground - Intermitent

Can this cause my missfire ?

My car doesnt do any smoke, but sometimes it smells really bad, like bad combustion...

If the ecu is overfueling how come there is no smoke coming from the exaust ???