Stuttering turbo - fixed

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Hi all

as you may have read ive been having fun trying to fix my stuttering turbo, but i beleive i have fixed it now finally! after having the car for a year now. So i will summarise here what the problem was and how i troubleshooted and fixed it for future reference if anyone is searching for it and has the same prob :-

Problem :-

My car was very lumpy between 1k and 2k rpm, the turbo wouldnt spin up right, it would seem to stutter up, go up and down, this would make the car a bit shakey and make it surge. In the cold mornings you can hear the normal diesel gowl go up and down in volume. If u floored the accelerator it would smoothen out, but obviosuly its not preferrable to floor it all the time ;)

Solution :-

it went into various dealers all of whom didnt have a clue as the computer didnt report any faults, but a MAF was replaced which reduced the severity of the problem slightly, but it still surged and the turbo just didnt spool up smoothly as on other TDIs.

so i swapped the N75 and N18 valves, the N75 is the boost control valve and N18 is the EGR control valve at the back of the engine bay, they are the same items but ones got a white cap and the others got a black cap. anyway when swapped over the turbo smoothed itself out and the car felt as it shoudl do, apart from mpg which was not as good, lost about 5mpg.

So i diagnosed a faulty N75 valve, bought a new one from vagparts.com for £65 and slotted it in and put the old N18 back to its rightful position. But this only returned the surging and dodgy turbo spool up for some reason.

To test i put the old N75 (which i thought was dodgy) in place of the N18 to control the EGR and lo and behold it worked a treat!! i now have a smooth turbo spool up, and hopefully my mpg should return, havent had chance to test yet.

So the result of this was that it was a dodgy N18 EGR Control Valve, cant explain why but this must have been putting in to much exhaust gas making it lumpy.

The key to this diagnosis is that when u floor it, the turbo smooths out, now as the EGR only works when NOT on full throttle this is why.

Anyway... im now a very happy TDI owner, after a year of not running right and alot of time and money wasted with dealers. I might even right a letter to Seat to tell them about it, so they know in the future.

A big thanks to all who have helped me with sorting this problem out, especially prc (paulo) much appreciated.

mine still doesnt soot though Ian ;)

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Originally posted by prc
That is excellent news..:D :D

Was getting a bit stumped myself .

cheers paulo.. nearly caught you out eh?!! he he

a little twist.... just as i was tightening the last nut on the N75 i pulled the socket out to finish off and it dropped down the engine and is now resting in my under engine plastic tray (grr if i didnt have one of those it would have falled to the ground, why oh why) must get it out when i have the time and inclination to get the car up and remove the undertray.

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
sssstew -- can you describe where the N75 and N18 valves are? Are they the solenoid valves with the electrical connectors on them, and the vacuum tubes leading to the actual EGR valve and turbo actuator?

orangesprout

Cheeky !!
Apr 10, 2003
Dodge City, North East
Visit site
Originally posted by sssstew
cheers paulo.. nearly caught you out eh?!! he he

a little twist.... just as i was tightening the last nut on the N75 i pulled the socket out to finish off and it dropped down the engine and is now resting in my under engine plastic tray (grr if i didnt have one of those it would have falled to the ground, why oh why) must get it out when i have the time and inclination to get the car up and remove the undertray.

if i had a quid for everytime i've done this.
to be honest its only 4 or 5 screws to detach the front portion and then you can get your arm in.

i normally leave stuff on front panel and knock it down front bit - usually the nuts that hold the engine cover on.

Barry

Red'n'Blue Army
Jun 4, 2003
Essex
www.rednbluearmy.com
I think that I might have the same problem with my turbo :mad:

It only happens occasionally (once every few weeks), just below 2000rpm. The car seems to stutter, if I accelerate it is fine at about 2400rpm and then it wont happen again.

sssstew, do you think this could be the same problem as what you had?

Barry

Red'n'Blue Army
Jun 4, 2003
Essex
www.rednbluearmy.com
Hi sssstew,

I live in Essex, so too far to pop over and see it!

How much did it cost you to replace the N18 EGR Control valve? Is that not covered under warranty?

Do you think that it would be worth trying to get it sorted now before it does go or wait to make sure it is that?

It is not something that I can reproduce when I want to so it might be hard to show the dealer what is happening?

Cheers

Barry..

sssstew

Editing your spelling
barry

yeah a bit to far! hehe

ok to answer your questions in order :-

Q)How much did it cost you to replace the N18 EGR Control valve?
A) £65 from vagparts.com

q) Is that not covered under warranty?
a) yes it should have been but as the stealership couldnt diagnose a problem (everytime i took it to them and took them out in it they said its ok) and vagcom never logged a problem, obviously wasnt bad enough, so i set about fixing it myself as it was damn irritating me everytime i drove the car.

q)Do you think that it would be worth trying to get it sorted now before it does go or wait to make sure it is that?
a) i would wait to make sure, unless u got £65 to spare and just wanna try. Maybe the best way would be to swap your valves over and see form there. how often does it happen at the moment? and do you get any noises associated with it?

Barry

Red'n'Blue Army
Jun 4, 2003
Essex
www.rednbluearmy.com
It only happens once every two weeks or something like that, not all the time.

There are no noises associated with it, the car just stutters the if I push past it it is fine, even if I go back to the same revs I just had a problem with!

I might just wait and see if it gets any worse, then go to the garage about it.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
hmm i would certainly wait for it to get more frequent to make diagnosis easier.

But if you have anything like the same garage help as me then it will be pointless taking it back to them as the computer doesnt report any faults.

Best of luck.. and keep us informed.

Deleted member 10725

ssssTew, im glad i found this thread...I think i may have the same problem, the turbo seams noisier and the car at iddle made also a diferent sound more evident if it was cold.

The car stutters betwen 1000 to 2000 rpm, but in my case i think both valves may be kaput because as my vag com logs shows the turbo sometimes doesnt do the required boost and others more than requested.

Must check this valves.(I should have checked them before turbo was rebuild)

Deleted member 10725

I think both are kaput because asides from suffering from the same problem as sssstew does, my turbo also spikes a lot and sometimes it does less pressure than required, i have the shareware version of ross tech so my testing is quitte limited.

As i said in my thread http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=776628#post776628 my problem is intermittent.

One day installing my car pc in the car i blowed a fuse, and to my amaze the car that was slugish to drive amazingly changed to smoth driving and reved must faster, this is not the first time it happened, but after a week of exelent behavior it comes back to slugish driving.

I heard in another forum that sometimes if you aply a charge of 12v it can rivitalize the N75.

I dont know if both are bad but im almost shure its one of them or both.

Must swap them and see if it improves :)