Surely i dont need a clutch?

rob280

Oct 27, 2019
Hi.
Been away from Seats for a bit but now back with a 2014 leon cupra 280.
The car has 24000 on the clock with a manual gearbox. Previous lady owner and totally standard.

I seem to be having mild clutch slip that doesnt happen all the time.

Seems to happen around 3500 to 4000rpm in 4th or sometimes 5th

I have put the car into 6th and gave it wot from 2500rpm and it doesn't slip ever?

Holds the power in lower gears fine.
It doesnt slip loads just sort of holds back then grips if that makes sense.

I am wondering if it could be something else like old fluid or a slave cylinder.
What do you think.?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The clutches on these have been likened to that of your local newsagents dairy milk bars.

However what exactly is it doing that makes you think it’s slipping.

Reactions: rob280

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I used to get that - in gears 4, 5 and 6. Revs would just go up, sometimes redline and no additional power at all. And then an overwhelming smell of burning clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob280

Oct 27, 2019
The clutches on these have been likened to that of your local newsagents dairy milk bars.

However what exactly is it doing that makes you think it’s slipping.
tough clutches then.

Basically when you give it full throttle in 3rd but mostly 4th and 5th the car will rev to about 3500 to 4000rpm then rev a few hundred rpm but not actually pull, then the revs will drop back down like the clutch has gripped the flywheel again.
I cant get it to slip in 6th though.

It has never revved to the red line or anything. Just appears to slip for a couple hundred rpm then settle.

rob280

Oct 27, 2019
I used to get that - in gears 4, 5 and 6. Revs would just go up, sometimes redline and no additional power at all. And then an overwhelming smell of burning clutch.

Im guessing you replaced the clutch? I assume a performance clutch is the way to go. Maybe a sachs.
Had a saches performance clutch in my old cupra r so not a completely unknown part to me lol.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Im guessing you replaced the clutch? I assume a performance clutch is the way to go. Maybe a sachs.
Had a saches performance clutch in my old cupra r so not a completely unknown part to me lol.

I’ve had a Helix clutch and now I’ve got a RTS clutch - the RTS (for me) seems so much better. Be prepared to have to replace the flywheel (depending on the condition when the clutch comes off)

rob280

Oct 27, 2019
I’ve had a Helix clutch and now I’ve got a RTS clutch - the RTS (for me) seems so much better. Be prepared to have to replace the flywheel (depending on the condition when the clutch comes off)

Thats good to know about a RTS clutch.
What makes you feel its better than the Helix?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Thats good to know about a RTS clutch.
What makes you feel its better than the Helix?

I had two helix clutches and both failed haha. So as the RTS hasn’t failed yet, it’s better for me :)

To be fair, the first failure was a manufacturing defect of the clutch. The second failure isn’t quite as clear but Helix did sort it all out for me and Progressive Parts were amazing about it all.

The RTS clutch is so much lighter and smoother to use. I’ve had the delay valve removed too. I’m gonna get the upgraded braided clutch line when I get the downpipe done - I meant to get it done at the time of swapping the clutch but forgot to ask!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@rob280; even if the previous owner was a lady doesn’t necessarily mean it’s been babied throughout its life. People other than the owner may also have driven it enthusiastically on a regular basis, or maybe the lady owner drove it like Sabine Schmitz (a la Top Gear) :sleepy: :yes:.

Reactions: paddy6789

rob280

Oct 27, 2019
Fair point. So what is the popular clutch upgrade these days?

Or do i get a standard clutch?
May go stage 1 sometime but it wont be for at least a year.
So should i put a standard clutch in.
How well does a standard clutch handle stage 1 if at all?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Fair point. So what is the popular clutch upgrade these days?

Or do i get a standard clutch?
May go stage 1 sometime but it wont be for at least a year.
So should i put a standard clutch in.
How well does a standard clutch handle stage 1 if at all?

If you plan on going Stage 1, even if its a year off, you may as well get an uprated clutch anyway. Mines a DSG but having felt the pedal of @paddy6789 I'd go with RTS. Its rated to cope with Stage 3 torque levels.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
It’s not too much more to buy an upgraded clutch I don’t think. If you’re gonna pay to replace the clutch, I’d say upgrade it at the same time. The RTS one is more of a stock feel. It’s really light. If you’re in the north west, happy to show the clutch to you.

rob280

Oct 27, 2019
It’s not too much more to buy an upgraded clutch I don’t think. If you’re gonna pay to replace the clutch, I’d say upgrade it at the same time. The RTS one is more of a stock feel. It’s really light. If you’re in the north west, happy to show the clutch to you.

Unfortunately buddy i am in the southwest on the devon/cornwall border. Thanks very much for the offer though. Much appreciated.
I have been on awesome gti looking at the RTS kit. May wait till black Friday and see if they have any deals

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Unfortunately buddy i am in the southwest on the devon/cornwall border. Thanks very much for the offer though. Much appreciated.
I have been on awesome gti looking at the RTS kit. May wait till black Friday and see if they have any deals

No worries - Read up on reviews and get feedback from others. I would recommend getting the upgraded braided clutch line too. Think it’s about £90.

Progressive Parts are a forum sponsor - maybe give them a call to see if they can help you out? They’re a great bunch of guys and I wouldn’t trust my car with anyone else :)

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Check for slippage by putting the handbrake on hard or heel and toeing the brake/accel, have the car in 5th, give it 3 - 4 k revs or so and engage the clutch slowly while maintaining revs. The engine should stall.
If it slips make sure there is freeplay in the pedal before you throw a new clutch in.

rob280

Oct 27, 2019
Check for slippage by putting the handbrake on hard or heel and toeing the brake/accel, have the car in 5th, give it 3 - 4 k revs or so and engage the clutch slowly while maintaining revs. The engine should stall.
If it slips make sure there is freeplay in the pedal before you throw a new clutch in.
Good shout. Thanks

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
@rob280; even if the previous owner was a lady doesn’t necessarily mean it’s been babied throughout its life. People other than the owner may also have driven it enthusiastically on a regular basis, or maybe the lady owner drove it like Sabine Schmitz (a la Top Gear) :sleepy: :yes:.
My wife is down as the owner of our Leon, as she drives it during the week

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.