Tailgate trim removal?

Mark300zx

Apr 24, 2008
Surrey/SW London
Want to remove the plastic from the inside of the tailgate and wondered if there are any particular tricks or is it just find all screws and then use trim removal tools?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Workshop manuals are here:

Instructions are in:

General body repairs, interior

Top tips are:

In addition to plastic trim removal tools, get one of these - I have not broken a trim panel since buying one, and my paint-less dent repair guy has bought one after seeing me use it:

Also, use a heat gun or hair-drier to heat up the plastic trim panel before trying to remove it - if cold, the plastic is very brittle and will snap/shatter very easily.

Another top tip is not to drop the metal tangs into the double skinned areas - they rattle like hell and are a PITA to remove.

Last edited:

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Workshop manuals are here:

Instructions are in:

General body repairs, interior

Top tips are:

In addition to plastic trim removal tools, get one of these - I have not broken a trim panel since buying one, and my paint-less dent repair guy has bought one after seeing me use it:

Also, use a heat gun or hair-drier to heat up the plastic trim panel before trying to remove it - if cold, the plastic is very brittle and will snap/shatter very easily.

Another top tip is not to drop the metal tangs into the double skinned areas - that rattle like hell and are a PITA to remove.

Good tip there cheers,

I need to get behind that panel as the seat badge is sticking when i open the boot and it is kinda annoying me.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I need to get behind that panel as the seat badge is sticking when i open the boot and it is kinda annoying me.

They all do that. Hard to believe they design a lever that always sticks. Once you get it out, work grease into the pivot pin. There are two holes for the pin either side. Just keep forcing grease into the holes until it works right in. Then I put tape over the holes to keep water out. The water will get into the other side but you can't do anything about that. Once you grease up the pin the handle will never stick again.

All of the clips on the tailgate panel are the metal 'Christmas tree' type and the tool above won't help you much. It's best to buy some new clips off eBay before you start as you can never get them right again after they get bent.

Last edited:

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
They all do that. Hard to believe they design a lever that always sticks. Once you get it out, work grease into the pivot pin. There are two holes for the pin either side. Just keep forcing grease into the holes until it works right in. Then I put tape over the holes to keep water out. The water will get into the other side but you can't do anything about that. Once you grease up the pin the handle will never stick again.

All of the clips on the tailgate panel are the metal 'Christmas tree' type and the tool above won't help you much. It's best to buy some new clips off eBay before you start as you can never get them right again after they get bent.

Ohh thanks chap for that, yeh its a job that is on the list.. when it is not -10 outside!

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
My boot trim was an absolute pain in the arse to get back on. I took it off as it was connected in one one of the sides properly when I bought it, I know why now, they probably gave up trying.

Every time I tried to get it back in alignment, one of the clips would be off so I'd have to adjust and retry, then the side that wasn't clipped in properly before was still off. To make matters worse, I banged one side in and as I did, the other side dropped and scratched my back bumper .

Got it all back together and lined up in the end and vow never to remove it again

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Mark300zx

Apr 24, 2008
Surrey/SW London

Any chance you can you point me in the right direction for the clips?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
The OEM part numbers are as follows:

4A0867276 - clips for trim panel (22mm)
8T0853107 - clips for the light housing covers

Use search engine or eBay/Amazon search and you’ll find plenty.

In addition, for those that say that the clips drop out when fitting, splay the legs of the clip open so that they hold better before sliding into place, or worst case, use electrical or felt tape around the plastic base where the clip fits to the trim panel to stop them coming out. It’s hidden behind the panel, and only needs to provide assistance whilst fitting the panel in place.

Reactions: Mark300zx