TDI Coilovers wtf, advice

westy2k1

Feb 8, 2015
I’ll try keep this short.
Had my mk2 FR CR 5 years

Had a tapping/clonking noise over bumps since fitting Coilovers just over a year ago.

Checked all usual culprits like top mount bolts, replaced top mounts, arb clearance etc.
I bought a kit from meyle that has some proper washers that sit inbetween the shock piston and underside of top mount as I thought the tapping was the piston hitting the underside of the top mount.
Recently I discovered bad coil binding between two coils both sides where the spring hasgone flat and has metal exposed so I’m wondering if it was that all along.
Do I buy stuffer springs even though I’ve checked I have the correct Coilovers but they are very compressed even under just the cars own weight or do I buy the Vogtland fixed damping Coilovers I’ve seen and read good things about.
Attached only pics I currently have.

Plate is private and a joke lol

49183E87-320C-4859-8DEE-7C7EB1ED02D4.jpeg

5DDBE438-B640-4CF8-B501-1E3E9C683CEF.jpeg

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
It almost sounds like the car was too heavy for the springs and it's compressed them right down. Were the coilovers you bought for the right weight?

westy2k1

Feb 8, 2015
According to stance website when I bought them the axle weight was 1105kg which is plenty but they definitely seem overcompressed and surely a 1.6tdi has less front end than a 2.0? Yet it’s the same setup for both models.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members