TDi pd 10k fixed service oils

pehealey

The following only applies to tdi pd engines that require fixed 10,000 mile servicing - or so I was told).

I spent ages today on the phone to numerous SEAT dealers, VW dealers, SEAT HQ, VW HQ, Castrol and Millers. The bottom line is total confusion everywhere.

I rang 12 SEAT dealers - all but one (I'll come back to which one)said that VW 505.01 must be (and is)used. Half of those said that this oil is only available in fully synthetic form. The others said its available in both synthetic and part-synthetic form. One said it is mineral oil. But, all stressed that VW505.01 MUST be used. The same applied to the 6 VW dealers I rang. All said that they use VAG sourced oil. This includes the SEAT used Quantum brand (I think this is supplied by Castrol). The VW dealers I spoke to use Castrol. Both HQ's confirmed that 505.01 MUST be used. VW said synthetic must be used, SEAT said "don't know".

I also rang Castrol's technical department and spent about 20 mins chatting with a very helpful guy who explained why this oil must be used. Basically, the camshaft driven injector pumps run at an extremely higher pressure on pump dusse TDi engines than they do on the 'older' design TDi's, and therefore require an oil that will offer a far higher degree of sheer(breakdown)resistance. The VW 501.01 (or higher)spec oils offer this and oils that fail to meet this spec must not be used. He even went as far as to say that engines run on non 505.01 spec oil are a time bomb waiting to go off and WILL be damaged (what!!!). He also said that 505.01 is only availble in synthetic form.

Millers now do an oil that meets the 505.01 spec. It's called XFE PD, but strangely, it's part synthetic and retails for about £20.00.

The SEAT dealer who didn't follow suit with the others was the one who's serviced my car (it would be wouldn't it). They told me that in my car (Arosa 1.4 tdi pd)they used Castrol magnatec. I was told I could use 505.01 but it wasn't neccessary. They also said that a leasing company who uses them to service their Alhambra's won't pay the extra cost for 505.01, so magnatec is also used for those as well. As a side note, the price quoted for 505.01 at all the dealers I spoke to was no more than the price my dealer quoted for magnatec.

This evening I went to the dealer where I purchased my car. They are part of the same group as the dealer who originally supplied and serviced it for the first owner. The car was transfered to them for my purchase.(Incidentley, the dealer I purchased the car from uses the correct oil). I spoke to the General Manager and explained the above re. the use of magnatec. He spoke to the service manager at the dealer who's done the servicing to find out what oil had been used. Although he was aware that 505.01 should be used for PD engines he thought that the 1.4 tdi pd was a non pump dusse engine. He checked the engine code which confirmed it was in fact a pd. He then confirmed that magnatec had been used on both the 10k and 20k service. (Great!!).

As a result, these are the options I've been offered:

1.An oil cange to the correct oil and a free 4th year warranty.
2.A full refund of my money.
3.A brand new car, and I pay the difference.
4.Try to locate another used car of same price, age, mileage etc.

Option 4, apparently, is as likely as finding rocking horse ****, as used 1.4 tdi's are very rare. Option 3 will cost me loads, option 2 leaves me with no car and loads of hassle, option one leaves my with doubt and worry (I planned on keeping this car for a few years).

Moral - Make sure you know what oil being put in your car.

dave99

Jul 14, 2002
Manchester
Visit site
I didnt realise they did a 1.4 PD engine!

At least my dealer told me the right thing a couple of weeks ago - 505.01. I bought a couple of litres of VW/Audi/Seat branded stuff for about 7.50 a litre

pehealey

"I didnt realise they did a 1.4 PD engine!" - as does the dealer who's serviced my car :)

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
If you want to keep the car then:

option 5) They fit a nice new engine in your car for free.

or see them in court. Picture it:

dealer: judge we ARE a professional outfit, but we had our heads up our arses and stuck the wrong oil in

judge: so this is a special engine that you have never seen before?

dealer: well, no, it is a PD engine, the backbone of the diesel range to the VAG group

judge: so why did you put the wrong spec oil in?

From autotrader:

Seat Arosa 1.4 TDi, Wiltshire & Sons Seat 01/Y 5-speed, pas, airbag, alloys, c/l, e/w, two owner, 16,000 miles, finished in canica . . . . (trade) more info £6,995

2002 51 Reg Seat Arosa 1.4TDi S 75bhp Grays of Sittingbourne Seat Diesel, imperial blue, Hatchback, 1,235 miles , 3 Doors. Adjustable Seat Height, Air Bag, Alloy Wheels, Body Coloured Bumpers, Catalytic Converter, Central Door Locking, Clock, Driver Air Bag, Electric . . . . (trade) more info £6,995

2002 SEAT AROSA 1.4 TDi, Holders 02 02 arctic silver, pas, alloy wheels, c/l, e/w, . . . . (trade) more info £7,480

2002 (02) SEAT AROSA 1.4 tdi 02 S, Arctic Silver, pas, a/w, r/c/l, elec/windows, 8,700 . . . . (trade) more info £7,795

2001 SEAT AROSA TDi 1.4 S Marshall Seat 3 Door 01 Arctic . . . . (trade) more info £7,995

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Click here to read an old thread with similar sentiments ~ note the Flapmeisters comments and his job.
:(

PS - Why would ANYONE consider option4? :confused: Who knows what sort of life another car of "similar age and milage" may have had.

Of the list you have I'd be inclined to go for extended warranty on engine.

But, as suggested I think you'd have a sound case in court to push for a brand new lump. Might be worth speaking to SEAT UK before you call in the lawyers though....

Last edited:

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
Also worth bearing in mind if you have legal cover via home contents/car insurance - give them a ring, get the right form of words from them and scare the dealer.

prc

Sooty Meister
There are semi synthetic oils that meet the 505.01. I use Motul 6100 505.01 which is semi-synt.
Alot of the new VW PD and some Seats (mine included) allow longer service intervals using oils that meet the 506.01 approval. Basically the biggest difference is it's anti-oxidation and anti-foaming levels.

Personally I would choose door #1!

Basically the car did 10000+ miles but <20000 on the non recommended oil, which is basically nothing when it comes to engine life.

pehealey

TDi oil follow up

As a follow up to last nights post, I have agreed with the dealer to exchange the Arosa for another which is 14 months newer, with a mileage of 6000. The mileage being important as its still on the original factory oil, which allows me to control (as far as possible) what oils goes in it. The cost to change is £500 which I thought reasonable as I'm geting a car with 16000 fewer miles and is 14 months younger.

The dealer didn't have this car in stock and didn't hold out much hope of finding a replacement, so I browsed the used cars on SEAT's website found one that suited and told the dealer about it and subsequently they've arranged for a dealer transfer. Hopefully the matter will be sorted shortly.

One question though - what will happen to my old Arosa? I think we all know........

Fen

Gotta check my tracking..
Oct 21, 2002
Wellington, NZ
Visit site
Re: TDi oil follow up

Originally posted by pehealey
One question though - what will happen to my old Arosa? I think we all know........

Glad to hear you hve got a decent resolution. I guess that once you have the deal don, there's nothing to stop you posting the reg number of the old car on here, is there?

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Sounds like a reasonable deal....however....

I'm not aware of your circumstances or "history", but if a dealer offered me a similar deal on my car I'd tell them to sod 0ff (politely mind ;) )

I'm of the school of thought that running-in period is crucial to the long-term performance and reliability of any car. If you plan to keep the car for a long time.....

I'd want to know the history of any car for sale with this kinda milage. Is it a demo / courtousy car? If so, it'll (almost certainly) have been ragged from new.

If it was "not suitable" for the previous owner, get their details from the dealer and phone them.....did the car have problems, or was it just "not right for them". What kind of running-in schedule did they apply?

I'm a bit anal about all that stuff though....I'd want to know how carefully they heated it up on every trip :)

gavin.kilner

1.4TDi PD

My Arosa TDi is just about to go in for its 40,000 mile service. Looking at the three previous invoices, the oil listed is 'GTX' at £6.65 +VAT per ltr. I'm assuming this is GTX Magnetec!!

If the dealer was using the correct spec 505.01 oil how much should it be per litre?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gavin.

Last edited by a moderator:

prc

Sooty Meister
Re: 1.4TDi PD

Originally posted by gavin.kilner
My Arosa TDi is just about to go in for its 40,000 mile service. Looking at the three previous invoices, the oil listed is 'GTX' at £6.65 +VAT per ltr. I'm assuming this is GTX Magnetec!!

If the dealer was using the correct spec 505.01 oil how much should it be per litre?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gavin.

Not sure what the going rate is over in the UK, but if it's anything like hear, it's close to double the price of normal good quality 505.00 oil (ex. Shell Helix Diesel+)
Remember that the VW505.01 approved isn't that old, so there still aren't many oils with that approval yet. There's a new longer service VW506.01 approval already out for the PD engines as well.

Since you've got proof, go to the dealer get hold of the service manager and/or general manager and explain the story. Remember to emphasize that the 1.4tdi is in fact a PD engine and the fact that VAG stresses that PD's can only use the 505.01.

Good luck & let us know the outcome.

dave99

Jul 14, 2002
Manchester
Visit site
I paid about 7.50ukp per litre (incl vat) a few weeks ago, but that way in a bottle. The guy said they had barrels of the stuff out the back which I expect might be a bit cheaper?

SOUTHSEAT

Snows SEAT Southampton
Gavin, I believe the oil is in the region of £6.50 per litre + VAT and is usually sold under SEAT part number. Descriptions such as Bulk oil or GTX etc may not necessarily indicate the wrong oil has been used however as a lot of dealers account for oil in different ways.

Thankfully Great Covert was one of the dealers that use the correct oil. We also detail the oil separately on our invoices.

Fortunately however we were the dealer that supplied (but not serviced) the car in question at the beginning of this thread. This was an unfortunate situation for the customer which I believe is now resolved to their total satisfaction.

Proof though that the 30 day no quibble vehicle exchange agreement works!

Last edited:

pehealey

Good to see that the dealers use this forum as well :))

As Kevin said in the last post, SEAT's 30 day exchange plan seems to work well and I'm perfectly satisfied with the outcome. Great Covert get my thumbs up.

horace1664

Jul 1, 2007
England
Glad to hear you hve got a decent resolution. I guess that once you have the deal don, there's nothing to stop you posting the reg number of the old car on here, is there?

Yes I wonder too.:drive2:
It would make for an interesting court case!:redface:

Last edited:

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
Just under 5 years to reply?

Holy thread revival batman!

batman300.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.